Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Help with emigrant record

Patricia Carlsen Mikkelsen
 Del

We are trying to figure out when my husband's grandfather emigrated to the US. In March 1908, in his U.S. Declaration of Intention, he stated that he arrived in NY on 1 April 1902 on the Haakon. I can find no evidence of a ship by this name operating in 1902. And I can find no record of arrival in NY or departure from Norway before this one, in 1909:

http://digitalarkivet.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=17&filnamn=EMIBERG&gardpostnr=65295&merk=65295#ovre

In the remarks, it states "Tilladelse fra Indrulrringen", and under the heading Årsak, shows "a (for at søke hyre tilsjøs)". This voyage is a year after he declared his intention to become a U.S. citizen. Are there any clues in these statements that might help us understand what happened?

Hilsen

Patti Mikkelsen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

"a (for at søke Hyre tilsjøs)"

I'd guess that "a" is short for "arbeid", that is, work/employment.

The rest means 'in order to seek employment at sea'

"Tilladelse fra Indrull[e]ringen" literally means 'permission from the enrolment' -- what it means in effect, I'm uncertain of.

Could it be that his initial immigration was by a ship that he worked on, rather than as a passenger?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

There was indeed a norwegian ship by the name of Haakon, but here full name was "Kong Haakon". She was built in Newcasle, UK back in 1889 for a company in Britain and given the name "Earndale". In 1898 she was sold to a norwegian shippingcompany with the name H. M. Wrangell, located in Haugesund. This ship was not a passengership, but a cargoship of a size and type that very well could have been in New York in 1902. Your man was a sailor (stoker), so he could have left this ship in New York, like meny other seamen did.. But it must have taken him time before he became an american, since he still was norwegin acording to the 1910 census. The meaning of "Tilladelse fra indrulleringen" is that he had permission from the navy to leave the country since he, by the time was in a "military age" and had a profession tha could have been useful for the navy. The ship S/S "Kong Haakon" became norwegian until june 1917 when she was hit by the german submarine UC-65 (Kapiänleutnant Otto Steinbrinck) and went down with the loss of 19 of here crew.

mvh jan w http://www.sjohistorie.no/skip/k/1321373007.56

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Many thanks to you, Torodd, Berit and Jan!

If Kong Haakon was not a passenger ship, this probably explains why I can not find his arrival in New York. Regarding the Emigrant databases on the Digitalarkivet, would it also be true that crew on cargo ships are not listed there? I looked for something in the "Utflyttede" records for Fjelberg and Ølen, but did not find anything there either. Also, I wonder, is there somewhere we can write to obtain his Norwegian seaman's records?

Tusen takk

Patti

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I`m getting old.

I forgot to tell you that when they made the 1900 census in Norway, they also made lists of all seamen who was onboard in every norwegian ships at the time. I looked in to it, but didn`t find your man. He could have been at home, paid off and be living in a port somewhere, waiting for a new ship or sailing on a ship who was not norwegian.

mvh jan w

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Ha! Jan, aren't we all (getting old)! I am relatively sure Peder was at home in 1900. I will definitely write to the Statsarkivet to see if they have anything on him. Again, I thank you.

mvh

Patti

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider