Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Translation of Oscar Hjalmar's birth record, son of Otto Remmem

Peggy Stanley
 Del

My grandmother, Olianna Johansdatter, grew up on the Remmem farm in Vestnes, Norway. In 1901 she had a baby boy, Oscar Halmar. In 1902 she left Norway and came to America. Sadly my grandmother died very young and we never knew who Oscar's father was. The story we always heard was that she and Oscar's father were very much in love, but for whatever reason, his family did not want him to marry her. In 2010 I traveled to Vestnes and was able to visit the Remmem farm and the see the church where she was baptized. The person who was showing me all the sites was Per Bjorn Ellenseter and as we were driving back through town he started talking to someone on the street. This person happened to work for the local newspaper and he wanted to write an article about why I was there. About a week later, I got an email from an Inger Andersen who said her grandfather, Otto Remmem, who was about the same age as my grandmother, also grew up on the Remmem farm and when he was about 80 years old he confessed to his family that he had a child before he married their grandmother. To make a long story short, Inger and my cousin Ralph, a grandson of Oscar Hjalmar both took DNA tests and it was true! Otto Remmem was Oscar Hjalmar's father. Prior to this, I had spent untold hours searching the parish books, but could never find Oscar's birth/baptism record, but I finally found it - in Trondheim! Now we know the facts, what I am hoping to discover is the story. :o) I can read the names of course, but I'm wondering if there are any other clues. Where, or with whom, was my grandmother staying? Who are the godparents? What does it say on the far left? Would Otto Remmem have gone with her to Trondheim? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Here is his birth record - line 37. http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=2724&idx_id=2724&uid=ny&idx_side=-63

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Oskar Hjalmar, born 13th of May 1901, son of Otto Andersen Remmem, Snedker (carpenter), ug. (unmarried), (living at) Vestnes, born 1878, Oleanna Johansdtr Remmem, Tjenestpige (maid), ug. (unmarried), (living in) Hans Nissens gade 2, born 1880.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you, Yngve! Can you tell me what it says in the last column and also the note on the far left? :rolleyes: And would Otto Remmem have gone to Trondheim too, or could my grandmother just name him as the father? Thank you!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Notes to the right: "Barnets Moder. Kom fra Vestnes til Thjem 18/3 01; til Ilen 25/5 01". (The mother of the child gave the information. She came from Vestnes to Trondheim March 18, 1901, and to Ilen/Ila May 25, 1901.)

Far left: "Meldt Vestnes spr. 10-6-01." (Notice given to the parish minister in Vestnes June 10, 1901.)

Otto Remmem was probably not present in Trondheim. He most likely stayed in Vestnes.

Witnesses at the baptism: Ludvig Nergaard, Murer and his wife, (and) Karen Josefine Snerting.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider