Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

American trying to locate information on Great Grandparents from Oslo

Mary Martin
 Del

Jeg bare begynner min søken etter opphavet til mine oldeforeldre og kunne bruke noen hjelp. Jeg har blitt fortalt at min oldemor var fra Oslo. Hun bodde på en gård i mountainess regionen rundt Oslo. (Jeg vet nå at dette beskriver det meste av landet.) Dessverre har jeg ikke kjenner foreldrene hennes navn. Men jeg vet at hun hadde ni brødre og søstre, og hun var den eneste som bodde i Amerika. Selv om jeg kjenner henne fødselsdato, innvandringsår og navnene på flere av hennes søsken, har jeg sett flere varianter av hennes etternavn. Kan være Amusen, Amunsen, eller Amundsen.

Kan noen gi meg en idé om hva regionen for å begynne å se på? Eller det beste stedet å begynne å forske? Enhver hjelp vil bli verdsatt.

(Forhåpentligvis denne meldingen lyder klart, som jeg bruker google oversetter.)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi, Mary!

Don't worry about writing English, most participants in this forum can read and write English pretty well :)

A good way to start is to provide the information yo DO know, her birth date, immigration year, the names of her siblings etc.

Regards

FHJ

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Mary!

Give us the information that you already have and we will try to help you. Please don't use google translate becaus it can cause a lot of mistakes.

Regards

Toril

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

This is what I do know about her life before she came to America. Her name was Bertha Ann Amunsen or Amundsen. I've seen two different last names for her. One on her death certificate and one on her husband's military draft registration card. She was born on August 12, 1867 in Norway. We were always told she was from Oslo. She grew up on a farm in a mountainess region. She had nine brothers and sisters. The siblings we know of were Sarah, Lena, Christian and John. All were believed to have stayed in Norway. Sarah married a mariner and had four children. Her husband drowned at sea. Lena visited the family in Buffalo NY sometime around 1912-1916. I have a picture of her with the family at Niagara Falls.

She immigrated to America in 1895-1896 to be a nanny. I have search the passenger lists for Castle Island, NY but have been unable to locate her in the records.

By 1900, she was living in Buffalo NY and was married in 1900 to Anton Martin Andersen, also a Norweigen immigrant.

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mary

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I have tried to fing her in Census 1900 Familysearch. Did she live with Anton Andersen in Census 1900? Did she have other relatives in US? What is her childrens names?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Yes. That is her. At the time the census was taken, she was taking care of Anton's younger siblings. (His parents either travelled back to Norway or were working out in the western part of the US.) Anton and Bertha were married a month after the census was taken. Why they have her listed as an "aunt", I have no idea. The 1900 census is the first recording of her in the US I can find. I have her life from 1900 on well documented, but am stuck on what far of Oslo she is from or who her parents are.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Yes. That is her.

???

Bertha Anderson born nov 1867 ???

1900 United States Federal Census about Bertha Anderson

Name: Bertha Anderson Age: 32 Birth Date: Nov 1867 Birthplace: Norway Home in 1900: Buffalo Ward 5, Erie, New York Race: White Gender: Female Immigration Year: 1895 Relation to Head of House: Aunt Marital Status: Single Father's Birthplace: Norway Mother's Birthplace: Norway Occupation: View on Image Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Anthony Anderson 27 Caroline Anderson 15 Ann Anderson 12 George Anderson 10 Mary Anderson 8 Bertha Anderson 32

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

You have to give us more information! About Berta, Anton and the children in USA.

Is this Berta in 1900?

https://familysearch...M9.1.1/MSXW-V1W

(Same family as Åsbjørg mention, but on Familysearch. I don't have an account on Ancestry, Åsbjørgs links is not working for me)

Where did they live later? Census 1910?

Endret av Inger Karin Haarbye
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Lived i Pennsylvania not Buffalo???

U.S., World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 about Anthony Martin Anderson

Name: Anthony Martin Anderson County: Allegheny State: Pennsylvania Birth Date: 15 Feb 1874 Race: White Draft Board: 18

1910 United States Federal Census about Anthony Anderson

Name: Anthony Anderson Age in 1910: 34 Birth Year: abt 1876 Birthplace: Norway Home in 1910: Sewickley Ward 2, Allegheny, Pennsylvania Race: White Gender: Male Immigration Year: 1883 Relation to Head of House: Head Marital Status: Married Spouse's Name: Bertha Anderson Father's Birthplace: Norway Mother's Birthplace: Norway Neighbors: View others on page Household Members: Name Age Anthony Anderson 34 Bertha Anderson 34 Edna Anderson 9 Lillian Anderson 6

post-3076-0-45560100-1387304703_thumb.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I am wondering if this can be Berthas husband? Nr. 22:

Kildeinformasjon: Møre og Romsdal fylke, Kvernes i Kvernes, Ministerialbok nr. 568A12 /1 (1869-1884), Fødte og døpte 1874, side 41.

Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverk...ny&idx_side=-45

It is two days wrong from the WWI Registration Draft, but I think it is worth to check him out/in :-)

Maybe there is a Bygdebok for this area?

Endret av Mariann Stokken
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

If it is the right person I found - it doesn't quite match the information...

According to thread starter they lived in Byffalo NY. The Anthony Martin from WWI reg. draft lives inn Allegheny, Pennsylvania !?!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The name "Bertha Ann" suggests "Beret/Berit Anna", which was a common combination in Møre og Romsdal fylke.

It is a common name in the north of Norway too, the lappish people used (use?) it quite often :-)

But Bertha was from near Oslo?

Anyway - we need more information. We are just guessing now.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I have several times been looking for people "from Oslo", one of them were from Stavanger (west-part, Oslo are on the east-part), another one from the north....

But guessing, yes we are :-)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Your guesses are welcomed! Not being familiar with the territory of the country and customs, it helps give me alternative ideas of where to look. I've learned from searching my ancestors in the US, that sometimes you need to broaden your search in order to find what you are looking for. I only know Bertha was from Olso. Which could mean, she moved there to work and not be born there, was born in the Oslo area or immigrated from Oslo. Your guess is as good as mine.

Yes, the Bertha and Anthony listed in Pennsylvnia is them. They moved from NY to PA. Although the handwriting for Bertha's maiden name is difficult to read, it looks like it was Amuson, which is the way I have always heard it pronounced. Since I have yet to locate anyone in the Norweigan Archives with that spelling, I was thinking it probably was Amunson. When I pulled up her obitutary, it is spelled Amundsen. So I've been looking for all three variations.

My grandmother's middle name was Mathilde. After researching naming customs, I wondering if this is Bertha's mother's name. Is that name also common in Møre og Romsdal fylke and Northern Norway? Should I also be looking for "Beret/Berit Anna" as alternative given names for Bertha?

I came across that immigration record for Anthony and his sister Karoline once before but was not sure if that is them. I know that their mother's name was Mary Knutson. Could Mary be another name for Maren? If that is them, then I just found another family member, Petrine, and this would help explain the large gap in years between Anthony and Karoline. Petrine would have died before 1892 as she does not show up on any census. Their father's name was Peter. Is Petrine a female version of Peter? Like Christopher and Christina? Worth exploring the death records in the US. More to come.

I hate to sound dumb, but what are lappish people?

You all have been so helpful and I do greatly appreciate it. If I can return the favor and find information for you in the US, please let me know.

I am wondering if this can be Berthas husband? Nr. 22:

Kildeinformasjon: Møre og Romsdal fylke, Kvernes i Kvernes, Ministerialbok nr. 568A12 /1 (1869-1884), Fødte og døpte 1874, side 41.

Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverk...ny&idx_side=-45

It is two days wrong from the WWI Registration Draft, but I think it is worth to check him out/in :-)

Maybe there is a Bygdebok for this area?

It could be Anthony. I recognize his name as well as his father's name, Peder Anton Andersen but I can't make out the rest. Can you translate it for me? Is this a baptismal record?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Great!

Then we have found Anthonys parents, havent we? :-)

Here are his parents weddingrecord (nr.44), here we can see that the vicar wrote wrong in Anthonys birthrecord, because I am pretty sure he wrote his mothers name as Karen, but here is it written Maren Knudsdtr

And as you wrote that his parents name was Peter(Peder) and Mary (Maren), there is no doubt I think :-)

Kildeinformasjon: Møre og Romsdal fylke, Kvernes i Kvernes, Ministerialbok nr. 568A12 /1 (1869-1884), Ekteviede 1874, side 310.

Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverk...y&idx_side=-177

Endret av Mariann Stokken
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Translation of the baptismrec, youll see it in #11:

His name was Anton Martinus, born 09.02.1874, bapt 06.04.1874

Ind (short for inderst, which means that he rent a house at a bigger farm) Peder Anton Andersen Dyrset 1844 k (which means kone/wife) Maren Knudstr 1849 g (gift = married) 21.11.73

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Translation of the marriagerec: Ungk (ungkarl, means that he had not been married before) Peder Anton Anders (en) 29 1/2 years old, born and lived at the farm Dyrset, fathers name Anders Pedersen.

Maren Andersdtr 24 years from Folland (another farm in the same area) fathers name Knud Johnsen.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

If Berthes surname was Amunsen/Amundsen, she might have used a different name before she moved to US. Amundsen could mean that her fathers name was Amund, but it is also possible that Amundsen was the fathers surname/patronymic. Lots of norwegian changed name late in the 1800.

(My grandmothers father was Lars Gulbrandsen (Lars, son of Gulbrand), and my grandmothers name was Alma Larsen (patronymicon). Later she used Alma Gulbrandsen, from fathers last name. Her brother used Larsen surname entire life)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider