Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Rauland and Vinje

BarbM342@aol.com
 Del

First, let me apologize for the English v Norwegian.

I am researching in the Vinje and Rauland area and also trying to clean up some of my recordkeeping habits.

First question:

My 2x great grandfather was born on Svalestuen.  I sometimes see this written and referred to interchangeably as Svalastog or Svalastoga.  The reason I believe this is an interchangeable reference is because I know the people in the references are siblings.  Is this historical timing or are there actually two or more farms in the Rauland area by this name?

Second question:

I know that the political boundaries of Rauland have changed and that Rauland is no longer a municipality.  My question regards recording the older records (pre 1964).  Specifically, I believe that both Farm Tvitekkja and Farm Lofthus are in Rauland, but sometimes the record can only be found in the Vinje Parish records.  Is there a best practrice for recording these location names?  It seems confusing when it is the same farm name but one record is found in Rauland Parish records and the next is found in the Vinje Parish records.

Thanks for any clarification you might be able to give me.

Barb Mellen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

First question:

My 2x great grandfather was born on Svalestuen.  I sometimes see this written and referred to interchangeably as Svalastog or Svalastoga.  The reason I believe this is an interchangeable reference is because I know the people in the references are siblings.  Is this historical timing or are there actually two or more farms in the Rauland area by this name?

Svalestuen, Svalastog and Svalastoga are just different speillings of the same name. The spellings Svalastog and Svalastoga reflect the local pronounciation of the name, while Svalestuen reflects standard Norwegian (bokmål).

Second question:

I know that the political boundaries of Rauland have changed and that Rauland is no longer a municipality.  My question regards recording the older records (pre 1964).  Specifically, I believe that both Farm Tvitekkja and Farm Lofthus are in Rauland, but sometimes the record can only be found in the Vinje Parish records.  Is there a best practrice for recording these location names?  It seems confusing when it is the same farm name but one record is found in Rauland Parish records and the next is found in the Vinje Parish records.

This is not about political boundaries, but parish boundaries. Rauland parish (prestegjeld) was established in 1859 by taking Rauland subparish (sogn) from Vinje parish and Øyfjell subparish from Lårdal parish. Additionally Møsstrand parish was created by taking parts of Vinje parish, Seljord parish and Tinn parish. Although Rauland subparish was part of Vinje parish until 1859, it had its own church record from 1814.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider