Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Finding data in the "new" site

Patricia Carlsen Mikkelsen
 Del

I am struggling with the new DA website.  There are databases that I find on the old site that I cannot locate now.  Here is one example:

Digitalarkivet: Sjømannsruller for Stavanger 1860-1900

I searched by location (Stavanger) and also by category (Sjømannsruller og Militære ruller).  But I don't see this file.  I realize the old version is still available, but for how long?  I want to learn to use the new format.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

Hilsen

Patricia

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

For some of the data, we have not yet made search forms and views for the data, this is an ongoing task. We are working on this and hopefully the seamen from Stavanger will be visible in Select source tomorrow.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you Anette!  I noticed that the "old" format is still available.  Will that remain until everything has been linked to the new search?

mvh

Patricia

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Takk Anette!  :)  It will take me that long to get used to the new format.  I've been using the old one since 2001.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

You really should try to learn the new one, not only because the old will disappear, but because there are far more data on the new site and because we have structured the data differently and added new search tools, so you are now able to find information that would be hard to find in the old system.

See for instance the guide on how to use the advanced search for individuals http://arkivverket.no/eng/Digitalarkivet/Help/Search/advanced-search-for-individuals

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I have a new comment on this topic.  When searching a database, like the emigration records, it is helpful to be able to see the context.  By that, I mean "my" search person as a part of the larger list of emigrants.  That way, I can see the people listed above and below.  In the new search, you can view "previous" and "next", one at a time.  I find this more cumbersome and less useful. I suspect at the stage, there is no way to fix this.  But I thought I'd comment anyway, in case there is a work-around.

Hilsen Patricia

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I know exactly what you mean. If the database doesn't contain too many people, you can leave all search fields empty to view all records, and then click your way forward until you find the ones you are looking for. That doesn't work well if the database contain a large number of people though.

It might be something to suggest for the future of this new system, to implement some sort of "cluster-view". Click to get a list of the 5 records preceeding and following of the main record.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you, Jørgen!  That is a good suggestion (to leave the search fields empty).  I will try that.  If I wanted to make a suggestion for the future, how would I do that?

mvh

Patricia

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I would assume Anette reads this post Patricia, so if she finds the suggestion remotely useful, she adds it to a wishlist somewhere.

Having said that, I would think such a feature will take time to implement, there are far more important things DA have to put in place before this, although I'd like to see it implemented at some time in the future. Your example with emigration records are great btw, a perfect example of why a "cluster-view" should be created. Relatives often traveled together, but since one record holds one individual, the preceeding and following records are vital.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Tusen takk, Jørgen!  We shall both hope our concerns have been heard.  

That said, I can hardly complain about the DA.  This is one of the most amazing sites for genealogy!  I am happy most of my ancestors are Norwegian!  ;)

mvh

Patricia 

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.