Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

PVT John Wold (Kommandantvold) KIA 1 Nov, 1918

Philippe Vanderdonckt
 Del

Hello to all from Belgium, am doing research on a  soldier who was KIA here in Belgium on 1 November 1918. John Wold was a young guy who emigrated from the town Roros in Norway to the USA. John lived in Glenwood, Minnesota and worked as painter for another emigrant from Roros, Mr. Kornelius Moan.

John's  Norwegian name was Jon (Jan) Kommandantvold, his parents where Nils and Girtru Kommandantvold and he had 3 brothers.

His brothers where Reinholt, Magnus and Simen. One of his brothers, I think Reinholt also emigrated to the USA but returned back to Norway.

John Wold was not maried and had no children that's why I try to find more information via this forum. I adopted his grave at the Flanders Field American Cemetery and visit his grave time to time. I try to find much as possible any information on John and looking for maybe classbooks, Military, family photo's and documents to reconstruct his  short live. It would be great to know who this young man was and keep his memory alive, also I can put a face on the cross. Is there anyone on this forum who can help me? Just looking for good scanned photo's or documents no need of the originals, the purpose is to ad a tribute page for PVT John Wold who died for our freedom at my website here http://www.2ltmalrait-gilbert.net

Please respond in English because I do not know any word of Norwegian and am Flemish ;)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Philippe

philippevdd@ymail.com

post-5936-0-66094800-1403165642_thumb.jpg

Endret av Philippe Vanderdonckt
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Your work and ambitions are most admirable!

I am quite certain that you soon will get a reply here in this forum from THE expert on the Røros genealogy, and she will most probably give you John Kommandantvold's basic biographical data.

I will therefore limit myself to recommend you to contact the local newspaper in Røros - the "Fjell-Ljom". This kind of stories is "Gefundenes Fressen" for a local journalist, and since I know that Kommandantvold-families still live in Røros (and elsewhere), chances are good that via the Fjell-Ljom you will get in contact with people or even relatives who can provide you with more information about this young Norwegian soldier.

Here is Fjell-Ljom's web site with contact details (link) .

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Here you find John and his family in the 1910-census - Folketellingen 1910 Røros . John is listed as "Malerlærling" = painter apprentice. The family lives in the Hagan ("Hagene") part of Røros town.

Here is John's baptism in the parish record - see no.50 in the upper half of this page - Røros Ministerialbok nr. 681A13 (1890-1898), Fødte og døpte 1891, side 8

Here is his confirmation in 1907 - see no.7 - Røros Ministerialbok nr. 681A14 (1899-1908), Konfirmerte 1907, side 147

His biblical knowledge was regarded as "Tilfredsstillende" = Satisfactory

He emigrated onboard the "Eskimo" from the port of Kristiania (= Oslo) on May 17th, 1911. His destination was Minnesota, and his purpose was to apply for work - Emigrantprotokoll 1867-1930

Endret av Tore S. Falch
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

It's a small world (- or at least Norway is a small country..)!

I have tried to follow the families and descendants of John's brothers here in Norway, and it turns out that I went to school here in Oslo with the granddaughter of John's brother Magnus (1897-1966)!

She still lives within walking distance from where I live, and I can give her a call to check whether she or someone in her family knows anything about this relative of hers.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thanks thanks thanks...... Tore ;). Have send an email to the "Fjell- Ljom" and now waiting for response, cross my fingers !!! Anyone who can help on this is very very welcome. This is great after about 100 years to find all of this information, thanks 1000X !!!

Greetings from Belgium.

Philippe

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hello Kjell Arne, are you the Kjell Arne I saw a post on Ancestry.com? I tryed to contact you some months ago on this address kjell2000@yahoo.com but is not working! This registration card I have already :( . Are you family of John's brother Magnus? What am looking for is to find some photos and maybe documents, letters, etc .... that can be scanned. If you are family send me a pm with your email address and I send you and your family photos each time I visit John's grave or attend on the ceremonies at the Flanders Field American Cemetery. In the mean time here something I got from family of Reinholt the other brother of John.

Thanks in advance for any help you can gave on this.

Philippe

post-5936-0-88536700-1403249031_thumb.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hei,

Nei det er nok ikke meg - og jeg har heller ingen tilknytning til nevnte familier. Jeg er nok bare som en rekke andre personer her på forumet interessert i å bidra der man kan :)

Lykke til videre!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Sorry, not that often we have English discussions on this forum so I simply answered out of habits. What I was saying is that the person you were corresponding with isn’t me; I don’t have that email address. Neither am I connected with the persons/families in question. I am just as quite a few others on this forum simply helping out whenever I am able to :)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

We can read about this Kommandantvold-family on p.556-557 in vol.4 of the "Rørosboka" (published 1973), the local history and genealogy book, covering families, homes, and farms in the Røros town and countryside.

It says that Jon, b.1891, emigrated to America in 1911, and that he enlisted as a soldier during World War I and was sent to Western Europe where he was killed in action and buried in Belgium. So, Jon's tragic destiny has been known to his family back in Norway.

The book also gives quite extensive information about John's brother Reinholt's life, both in the U.S. and in Norway, and about Reinholt's children and grandchildren. If my contact with Magnus' granddaughter doesn't give any results, it will therefore be possible to find and approach some of Reinholt's descendants. I will try again this weekend.

Endret av Tore S. Falch
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thanks for all your efforts to help Tore and Kjell ;) . This is all great information!!! I  could not find without help in Norway. Thanks thanks .....

@Kjell, there was a problem with the domain name of the website but now is fixed see http://www.2ltmalrait-gilbert.net

PS: Tomorrow I go to France for 2 weeks and am not sure to have internetconnection so it could be that my response come some time later. I will use as much as possible hot-spots to read my mails so don't hesitate I will see it ;) .

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I will therefore limit myself to recommend you to contact the local newspaper in Røros - the "Fjell-Ljom". This kind of stories is "Gefundenes Fressen" for a local journalist, and since I know that Kommandantvold-families still live in Røros (and elsewhere), chances are good that via the Fjell-Ljom you will get in contact with people or even relatives who can provide you with more information about this young Norwegian soldier.

Here is Fjell-Ljom's web site with contact details (link) .

Thanks Mr Tore will contact the news paper ;)

The Fjell-Ljom had a full page coverage in yesterday's issue about Jon Kommandantvold and the search for relatives and further information about him:

Fjell-Ljom I.pdfFjell-Ljom II.pdf

I subscribe to this weekly newspaper, so I will let you know should they write more about him.

I have also talked with the granddaughter of Jon's brother, and she has given me the contact details of Jon's 88-year-old niece who knows more about her uncle. I will contact her this weekend.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Great Tore ;-) Am in France for the moment but have (bad) internetconnection on my mobile. Cross my fingers .

Greetings from France.

Philippe

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...

The Fjell-Ljom had a full page coverage in yesterday's issue about Jon Kommandantvold and the search for relatives and further information about him:

attachicon.gifFjell-Ljom I.pdfattachicon.gifFjell-Ljom II.pdf

I subscribe to this weekly newspaper, so I will let you know should they write more about him.

I have also talked with the granddaughter of Jon's brother, and she has given me the contact details of Jon's 88-year-old niece who knows more about her uncle. I will contact her this weekend.

Hello Tore, I got monday the newspaper, thanks 1000X

Greetings from Belgium ;-)

post-5936-0-57828200-1405002321_thumb.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I'm glad to hear!

I'm also happy to hear that another relative of John Vold/Jon Kommandantvold's has contacted you after having read the newspaper article - hopefully he can contribute with more information to your tribute web page honouring John Vold.

As for John Vold's niece, she has an old photo of the Kommandantvold family, showing John's parents with their four children. I will borrow the photo from her and have a copy made and emailed to you.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I'm glad to hear!

I'm also happy to hear that another relative of John Vold/Jon Kommandantvold's has contacted you after having read the newspaper article - hopefully he can contribute with more information to your tribute web page honouring John Vold.

As for John Vold's niece, she has an old photo of the Kommandantvold family, showing John's parents with their four children. I will borrow the photo from her and have a copy made and emailed to you.

Thanks very very much Tore, I will make the tribute  here:

http://users.skynet.be/2ltmalrait_gilbert/woldstory.htm

Visit time to time because I have now a lot of photos ;) End of July someone of the family plan to visit John's grave so any address (email) you can get of the family send it me via private mail (also your email)

Greetings from Ronse

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

That's interesting. John's niece told me that her uncle Reinholt once went to Belgium to visit his brother's grave there.

I have just sent you a PM with email addresses etc.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 4 uker senere...

I am sure that followers of this thread will be interested and pleased to see the update on your tribute web page honouring the memory of John Vold - or Jon Kommandantvold from Røros:

http://users.skynet.be/2ltmalrait_gilbert/woldstoryE.htm

I am deeply touched by your involvement in honour of those young men who gave their lives for our freedom some 100 years ago. Your unselfish work is a valuable contribution to helping us keep the memories of their sacrifices alive. 

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 3 måneder senere...

post-6436-0-43982600-1415480925_thumb.jpg"Mission accomplished".

John Wold born in Røros as John Kommandantvold has finally got his memory preserved. This young boy died in the final days of WW1 in Belgium N ovember 1. 1918, just 10 days before the war ended.

He was the younger brother of my grandfather. In July this year I had the privilege to visit my grand uncles grave av Flanders Field, thank to Philippe Vandedonckt.

Rune Ask

http://users.skynet.be/2ltmalrait_gilbert/woldstoryE.htm

Endret av Rune Ask
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider