Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

John Meldal from Hadsel in Nordland -- help!

Patricia Carlsen Mikkelsen
 Del

I am trying to untangle the facts about John Meldal from Hadsel in Nordland.

It begins with the birth of Ane Malene Johnsdatter, b 1807 at Lechang in Hadsel.  Here is her baptism:

Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=16709&idx_id=16709&uid=ny&idx_side=-135

I pieced together events that fit the timeline.  I found John Meldal and John Johnsen Lechang.  I believe they are the same person, but I can't be sure.

15 Jan 1792 – “Joe” Johansen Lechang married Anne Agathe Telleman (daughter of Erich Mogns. Steilo).

5 Aug 1792 – dpt. Gunhild Maria.  Daughter of Joe Johans. Lechang & ?

1795 – Anne Agathe Telleman died.  Her death may be connected to the birth of their child who died in May 1795.  I cannot find Anne Agathe’s burial record, but I did find her probate, recorded 22 August 1795 Indbjør.  I don’t believe the names of her husband and daughter are shown.  So this is not a big help.  Here is that record:

Permanent sidelenke: http://arkivverket.no/URN:sk_read/25004/113/

1 Oct 1797 – dpt. Joen.  Son of “Joe” Meldal Lechang and (unmarried) Doreth Nielsdtr Indbjør.

1801 census for Hadsel – at Lechang nedre, find Jon Johannesen (age 30) and daughter Gunnel (age 8).

1801 census for Waagens – at Storvaagen, find Dorthea Katrina Nielsdtr (ug, Tienestetøs) with “Dennes uægte søn”, John Meldal Johnsen (age 4).

23 Oct 1803 – dpt. Johan Albrigt. Son of John Meldal Lechang; [mother?] [uægte??]  Here is his baptism:

Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=16709&idx_id=16709&uid=ny&idx_side=-125

30 Dec 1803 – Joen Meldal Lechang married Ragnil Johannesdtr (no farm mentioned). [this record is at the top of the next page after birth of Johan].

Subsequent births:

1.       Ane Malene; døpt 7 Jun 1807 at Lechang [John Meldal Lechang & ?]

2.       Rebecca Johanne; born 26 May 1812 at Lekkang [Jon Meldal Lekkang & Ragnild Johannesdtr]

3.       Anna Agatha; born 13 April 1818 at Indbjør [Jon Meldal Indbøyer & Ragnild Johannesdatter].

Deaths:

2 Sep 1838 at Vasviig – Ragnhild Johannesdtr, age 69 [is this John Meldal’s wife?  Why is she at Vasviig?]

Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=16712&idx_id=16712&uid=ny&idx_side=-155

20 Jun 1846 at Indbjør – kaarmand, John Meldahl, age 83

Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=16712&idx_id=16712&uid=ny&idx_side=-170

So, do all of these events relate to the same Jon Johansen Lekang/John Meldal?   Does anyone have information as to where was he born?  What is the history of Ane Malene's mother, Ragnhild Johannesdatter?  I don't see any women in 1801 Hadsel that match her.

I will greatly appreciate any comments or advice!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• Svar 80
  • Opprettet
  • Siste svar

Topp bidragsytere i dette emnet

• Margaret Miller

• Rolf Sverre Alsos

• Lars Østensen

• Patricia Carlsen Mikkelsen

I found probates for John and Ragnhild!  They are almost impossible to read.  One thing I did determine is that the Ragnhild that died in 1838 is the wife of John Meldal.  I would appreciate any assistance from those of you with better eyes!

John:  Permanent sidelenke: http://arkivverket.no/URN:sk_read/25011/255/

Ragnhild:  Permanent sidelenke: http://arkivverket.no/URN:sk_read/25010/724/

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Skifte etter Anna Agatha Erichsdatter Tellemand, Indbjør i Ulvøy
Internt skiftenr: 5442. Skiftet åpnet: 22/8-1795. Side: 1647. Løpenr: . Ektemannens navn utelatt
Arvinger:
Formue: 102-4-1. Gjeld: 91-0-4.
Film eller link: HF1985
Tellemand, Indbjør i Ulvøy.
Ektemann av avdøde. Gift. Navn utelatt
Tellemand, Indbjør i Ulvøy.
Datter av avdøde. Gift. Navn utelatt

Skifte etter Augustinus Krog, Dreng, Qvitnes i Hadsel
Internt skiftenr: 1746. Skiftet åpnet: 22/9-1797. Side: 1807. Løpenr: .
Arvinger:
Formue: 242-0-2. Gjeld: 83-1-2.
Film eller link: hf1985
Niels Michael Tellemand, Stejlo.
Halvbror av avdøde.
Anna Agatha Erichsdatter Tellemand, .
Halvsøster av avdøde. Død.
Gunille Maria Joensdatter, , 5 år
Søsterdatter av avdøde.

Endret av Lars Østensen
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Skifte etter Ragnild Johanesdatter, Indbjør i Ulvøy
Ektefelle: John Meldahl. Internt skiftenr: 4871. Skiftet åpnet: 3/10-1838. Side: 702. Løpenr: 128.
Arvinger:
Formue: 281-3-10. Gjeld: 193-0-0.
Film eller link: HF1990
John Meldahl, Indbjør i Ulvøy.
Ektemann av avdøde. Gift. Ektefelle: Ragnild Johanesdatter.
Johan Albrigt Johnsen, .
Sønn av avdøde. Myndig.
Anne Malene Johnsdatter, .
Datter av avdøde. Gift.
Rebekka Johanne Johnsdatter, .
Datter av avdøde. Gift. Ektefelle: N.P. Tillemann.
N. P. Tillemann, .
Svigersønn av avdøde. Ektefelle: Anne Johnsdatter.
Anne Agathe Johnsdatter, , 21 år
Datter av avdøde.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Tusen takk Lars!

Were you able to read the incredibly tiny writing on John Meldal's probate?  That is the one I was hoping would hold the keys to this mystery!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

#5 The probate of John Meldal were insolvent. None of his children inherit anything. The probate tells only the name of his creditors.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

That is very disappointing.  But thank you for checking it out, Lars!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Lars, I followed your link.  It took me to a chart, but there was no detail.  How do I view the names?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

If you look through the confirmation list for Hadsel published on this site: http://trekilen.com/excel.html#9 you will find that a Joen Johans(sen) was confirmed from Lekang in the year 1788, and his age was 16. This may or may not be your John Meldal Johanssen. I can not find any Johan or Johannes mentioned at Lekang in the period of his birth (around 1771?). This leads me to think that he is either born on a different farm or maybe not in Hadsel at all.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hei Lars!

I think this is a good possibility, but how to prove it?  :(  In the 1801 Census, Jon Johansen, age 30, is living at Lekang nedre, with daughter Gunhild.  The age fits your record.  When he died in 1846, the record states he was 83, which puts his birth year almost 10 years earlier.  Still, I don't always trust these church records when it comes to ages.  

I found one marriage record that looks interesting, but the farms are completely different -- "Joon" Olsen Brotøen and Anne Mognsdatter Myrland, married 12 Oct 1769 in Hadsel.  It's a longshot...

I appreciate all your help!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

#12 Since Joen Johanssen Lekang in the 1801 census had his mother Engebor (Ingeborg) Jonsdatter, aged 70, widow for the first time, with him, we need to find a Johan(nes) married to this Ingeborg Jonsdatter to find his parents. Jon Olsen Brotøya married for the second time to Anne Mogensdatter Myrland, and which died in 1770, is clearly not the correct parents for your John Meldal.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Oops!  Good catch!  I totally forgot that his mother was there.  I wonder if I find her probate, maybe it states who her husband was??  Again, another longshot.  I was just looking on the LDS website.  I found a Johannes, son of Jonas Mogns. Skagen, dpt Jun 1771.  Another unrelated farm.  

If,  as you say, he was born outside of Hadsel, I just have no idea where to look...

Thanks again, Lars!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

:(

Thanks for trying!

Endret av Patricia Carlsen Mikkelsen
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Without any military record telling which farm in Hadsel or from which part of Norway he came from I can hardly find a way to pinpoint where his parents came from.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

#19 Hopefully someone with access to the military records from Hadsel could contribute with the relevant information about John Meldal....

By the way, his son Johan Albrigt was born on the 19. of August 1803 according to a list which also states that John Meldal/Ragnild Johannesdatter were his parents.

Endret av Lars Østensen
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I have seen Johan Albrigt's baptism record in Oct 1803.  It does not show his mother's name there.  But John & Ragnhild married about 2 months later, so I assumed she was the mother.  Also, he was named in Ragnhild's probate.

I hope someone will find something in the military records.  But if this is all I can find, I will just have to accept it!  B)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

With lots of help from the resources working with the military records that provided this information:

"First time John Meldahl is mentioned in the military records is in 1814. He is then registrated as "oppsitter" on the farm Indbjør with 1 w 1 p 12 m "skyld". It is stated that he is born in Helgeland and is 51 years old. In all of the following years Helgeland is stated as his birtplace without any more specific note about where in Helgeland. John Meldahl (Johansen) is not mentioned in the military records for the years 1808, 1810, 1811, 1812 og 1813. In 1831 it is stated that his son Johan Albrigt  born around 1803 was born in Lechang. This means that the John Meldahl living on the farm Indbjør also has been living on the farm Lechang."

Endret av Lars Østensen
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I find a probate from Horsvær in Brønnøy (Helgeland) from the year 1790 where it is stated that a halfbrother Johannes Nielsen is death and has left 2 children, Joen Johannesen age 18 and a daughter Johanna Johannesdatter married in Hadsel i Vesterålen:

Horsvær; Brønnøy/1790
Niels Haagensen      M                    Hovedperson
Sirie Joensdatter    K                    Ektefelle
Johannes Nielsen     M  Død               Halvbror
Joen Johannesen      M        18          Barn av Johannes
Johanna              K  Gift              Barn av Johannes; Hadsel i
Johannesdatter                            Westeraalen.

This may be the Johannes Nielsen that married Ingeborg Jonsdatter at Sømna: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NWHL-N2Z and had a daughter named Johanna: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NWBB-HYK and a son Joen: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NWBB-6LC

This is of course just a longshot but maybe worth trying.

There are also a probate after an Anna Joensdatter from Mardal, Brønnøy, year 1785, with a daughter Ingeborg Jonsdatter married to Johannes Nielsen Horsvær:

Mardal; Brønnøy/1785
Anna Joensdatter     K                    Hovedperson
Joen Joensen         M                    Sønn; Bortreist men ingen viste hvorhen.
Tarald Joensen       M                    Sønn; Malm.
Ingeborg Joensdatter K  Gift              Datter; Johannes Nielsen, Horsvæhr
Inger Joensdatter    K  Gift              Datter; Hans Christian, Mardahl

Endret av Lars Østensen
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Se also: http://forum.arkivverket.no/topic/123446-37938-anne-elisabet-dischingthun-fra-hadsel-til-husoey-hamaroey/page-3

"Ole Ingebrigtsen, f.1762 på Ongstad i Hadsel, g.ca.1786, d. 6/11-1814 på Sande i Hadsel. Bodde på Nedre Lekang i Hadsel.(Foreldre: Ingebrigt Olsen og Anne Elisabeth Hermannsdatter Dishington). Hanna (Johanna) Johannesdatter, f.1763 på Indre Kvaløy i Sømna, d.14/6-1856 på Fagerbakken i Vågan. (Foreldre: Johannes Nilsen og Ingeborg Jonsdatter). Barn: A. Ingebrigt Andreas, f.1787 på Klakk, Haug og Raften i Hadsel, Årstein i Vågan. B. Johanna, f.1789, Digermulen og seinere Årstein i Vågan. C. Ane Elsebe, f.1791, Helnes i Steigen. D. Jeremias, f.1792, Helnes i Steigen. E. Ingeborg Anna, f.1794, Digermulen i Vågan. F. Hans Petter, f.1796, Tromsø, seinere Årstein i Vågan. G. Albrigt Dishington, f.1798, død som spedbarn. H. Hans Olai, f.1804, død som spedbarn. I. Hans Albrigt, f.1807, Skrova og seinere Vatnvåg i Vågan. J. Ingeborg Anna, f.1810, Digermulen i Vågan."

If the daughter of Johannes Nilsen and Ingeborg Jonsdatter, Johanna (Hanna) Johannesdatter was married to Ole Ingebrigtsen - Nedre Lekang in about 1786 it is no surprise that her brother John Meldahl Johannesen also is at this farm in 1788 when he is confirmed......

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider