Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

1891 Folketelling questions in English

Adele Goa
 Del

Is there someplace on the Internet that has the questions on the 1891 Folketelling Schema 2 translated into English?

I am trying to translate the questions for a friend who has no Norwegian,  I have 3 different Ordbøker but am not able to find a number of the words in any of them.  I suspect the words are archaic and do not appear, or at least I can't find them, in the Ordbøker I have.

Du er velkommen til å svare meg på bokmål, om du ville være så snill.

Takk på forhånd.

Adele Goa

Camrose, Alberta

Canada

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi!

I've made an attempt translating. I am open for feed-back :)

1. Fuldt Navn

Full name

2. Kjøn 1) Mandkjøn, Kvindekjøn

Sex: Male, Female

3. Stilling til familiens hovedperson 1) Selv Hovedperson, Hustru, Søn, Datter, Tjenesteytende, Logerende hørende til Familien, enslig Logerende, Besøgende o.s.v.

Relation to the head of the family: Head of family yourself, wife, son, daughter, in service, tenant belonging to the family, single tenant, visitor a.s.o.

4. Ægteskabelig stilling 1) (for personer over 15 aar): Ugift, Gift, Enkemand, Enke, Separeret efter Bevilling, Lovlig fraskilt

Marital status (for persons over 15 years of age): Unmarried, Married, Widower, Widow, Separated by license, Legally Divorced

5. For gifte kvinder: Er De og Deres Mand inbyrdes beslægtet, som Næstsøskendebørn (Tremenninger) eller nærmere? Ja, Nei

For married women: Are you and your husband related to each other, such as second cousins or closer? Yes, No

6. Fødselsaar: 18.. For Børn under 2 aar: Fødselsmaaned...

Year of Birth: 18.. For the children under 2 years of age: Month of birth

7. Fødested: Herred, Sogn eller By

For de i Udlandet fødte: (Landets eller stedets navn)

Place of birth: Herred, Sogn eller By *

For those born abroad: (name of country or place)

8. Hvilken Stats Undersaat (for dem, der ikke ere norske Undersaatter)

Which states minion (for those, not being Norwegian minions)

9. Trossamfund (for dem, der ikke tilhør den norske Statskirke)

(Religious) communities (for those, not belonging to the Norwegian State Church

10. For de i sælvstendig eller i underordnet stilling Erhvervende: Erhvervsgren (Hovednæring, Bierhverv) og Stilling i samme

For those being self-employd or being an employee: Way of income (main and second income) and position within the same

11. For de af Andre helt 1) eller delvis 1) Forsørgede:

Forsørgerens Livsstilling

For those by others entirely or partially supported/provided for: The providers Civil state

12. Sindssvag, Døvstum eller Blind 1).

Insane, deafmute or blind

13. Er Sindssygdommen, Døvstumheden eller Blindheden medfødt (hvormed ligestilles, at den er kommen tilsyne i de første Barneaar), eller er den fremtraadt senere 1)?

Is the insanity, deafmute or blindness innate (to count as innate in case it has appeared during the first years of childhood), or has it appeared later?

14. For de kun midlertidigt Tilstedeværende: sædvanligt Bosted

For those only temporarily present: Ordinary residence

15. For de midlertidigt Fraværende: antageligt Opholdssted

For those temporarily absent: assumed residence

* both "Herred" and "Sogn" would translate into Parish. "Herred" refers to a limited jurisdictional area of the country."Sogn" refers to a limited clerical area of the country. "By" meaning town/city, all thou in 1891 they were quite limited in number.

Mvh Bente

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I've made an attempt translating. I am open for feed-back :)

* both "Herred" and "Sogn" would translate into Parish. "Herred" refers to a limited jurisdictional area of the country."Sogn" refers to a limited clerical area of the country. "By" meaning town/city, all thou in 1891 they were quite limited in number.

For 1891, this is not quite true generally. I do not think there is a simple, direct and fully correct translation into English.

One has to know the distinction of "sokn", "prestegjeld", "herad" and "by"  (and I suspect that quite a few members of this forum do not know.)

That is, for reading the census. For translation one also has to know the connotations of the English terms, which may differ. (What is the difference

between "town" and "city"...?).

Often "herad" (aka. "(land)kommune") is translated to" municipality".

"prestegjeld" is "parish", while "sokn" is sometimes translated to "subparish" (but I am not sure if this word gives the right understanding).

Endret av Ivar S. Ertesvåg
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I use an online dictionary which has geneological terms translated into Norwegian. To avoid breaking  any copyright laws I won't post the link, but if you google

"Norwegian American Dictionary  Otto Jørgensen"  you should get the link.

Kristine

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I use an online dictionary which has geneological terms translated into Norwegian. To avoid breaking  any copyright laws I won't post the link, but if you google

"Norwegian American Dictionary  Otto Jørgensen"  you should get the link.

Kristine

You mean this:  http://home.online.no/~otjoerge/files/word.htm

There are no problems with respect to copyright by posting a link like this.

Problems arise when someone makes the link in a way that make the new page seem as part of the current web site.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider