Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Birth of Louis Anderson etc.

N. van der Brugge
 Del

Hello there in Norway!

I'm searching for Louis Anderson's birthdate. It is said to be July 1867, may be Arendal, according to Family Search, USA.

He emigrated to that country approx. 1891, where he married Inga Konstance Johansdatter and got a substantial number of children. She was born and baptised in 1875.

He seems to be a sailorman, as I found more than one returns to Norway. The last one was in 1917, when he returned to the USA as a Returpassager.

I would like you to send me as much information as possible, i.e. parents' names, birth date and birth place, and also when he first emigrated of departed to the USA.

You may reply in English or German, but preferably not in Norwegian. I know some expressions but my knowledge is too weak.

My late wife is very distantly related to this family.

Thanks beforehand for your kind cooperation.

N. van der Brugge, Netherlands.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi!

Like Hans says; it would be nice to have some more information! Where did he live, when did he die?

Are these his children?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi, thank you for getting back to me. Those are indeed his children. But no one of the descendants have sufficient information as to his origin. That's why I try to get news from the Norwegian archives, but getting information in Norway seems to be even as hard as in the USA. No one can produce a birth certifcate of Louis. I do have 1875 baptismal data and birth data of his wife Inga Konstance Johansdatter, but that's all. They married in the USA. There is no link of the couple itself to be found in Norway. May be he was born in Arendal (Aust Agder(?)), but this not sure. Are the Norwegian Census documents already viewable?

Louis lived in the USA, where he died. He was a sailor men and returned from time to time to Norway. (He was right, for your country is a beautiful country; my late wife and me have spent several times our holydays there in the past).

The data we have got were found in some American archives, such as a Censuses, but the Census information is based on personal statements and not on written documents. So there are no real sources, unfortunately.

I hope you will succeed in getting reliable information.

Cheers, N. van der Brugge, Netherlands.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The family in Perth Amboy Ward 5, Middlesex, New Jersey in 1920: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M4T2-BN8

Just the youngest daugther is born here, the rest in Massachusetts.

Louis Andersen     Head     M     55     Norway
William Andersen     Son     M     18     Massachusetts
Bernard Andersen     Son     M     16     Massachusetts
Lillian Andersen     Daughter     F     12     Massachusetts
Walter Andersen     Son     M     10     Massachusetts
Ruth Andersen     Daughter     F     8     Massachusetts
Elsie Andersen     Daughter     F     6     New Jersey

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

They are living at the same address in 1915:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/QV97-DNTL

Name:     Inga Anderson
Event Type:     Census
Event Year:     1915
Event Place:     Perth Amboy, 5 ward, Middlesex, New Jersey, United States
Birth Date:     Mar 1876
Birthplace:     Norway
Household     Role     Gender     Age     Birthplace
Inga Anderson         M         Norway                                b. Marts 1876
George Anderson         M         Massachusetts
Louis Anderson         M         Norway                              b. July 1867
John Anderson         M         Massachusetts
Anna Anderson         F         Massachusetts
William Anderson         M         Massachusetts
Bertinius Anderson         M         Massachusetts
Lillian Anderson         F         Massachusetts
Walter Anderson         M         Massachusetts
Ruth Anderson         F         Massachusetts          EDIT: b. August 1912.
Elsie Anderson         F         New Jersey

Sheet Number and Letter: 31B , Household ID: 227 , Line Number: 61 , GS Film Number: 001465546 , Digital Folder Number: 005877730 , Image Number: 00508

Endret av Anne-Lise Hansen
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Seems like the Family is listed in another familytree as well. Is this a relation or would this provide new information ?

From ancestry.com:

peaceofmind12 has chosen to not make this tree publicly viewable. Click the "Contact peaceofmind12" button below to contact the tree owner using Ancestry's anonymous Connection Service.

This private tree contains information about:

Inga Marie Nevad

Born: 1908 in Perth Amboy,Middlesex,New Jersey,USA

You will also find Attached to this person

7 Attached records

8 Sources

3 Attached photos

1607 People in this member tree.

"

Hans Gangsto

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hello Anne-Lise & Hans,

I contacted "peaceofmind12" and she replied me as follows:

""Family stories here are that the Louis Olaf Anderson and Inga Constance/Christina Johnson/Johanson's families were both from Oslo, but I've found no proof. My last visit to New Jersey this summer, I went to the County offices where the US Naturalization records are kept and they helped me look through all the microfilm but I could not find Louis' citizenship papers. I know he was made a US citizen between 1910 and 1920 and most of that decade they were in NJ and in that County. So, now I have to assume he filed his papers in Boston, Massachusetts, which is harder to research. I also need to order his death certificate from NJ, which I do hope has the name of the town in Norway of his birth and verify his parents' names.

The only other record I feel is solid is a WWI Draft registration for one of his sons, one of Anna's brothers, on which he states his father was from Arendal. That's further south on the coast from Oslo. That would fit his seaman's history. ""

Anna is a daughter of Louis and Inga. We have a baptismal registration of Inga but a registration of Louis is missing. We would very much appreciate that you (if possible!) mail me a copy of this registration as a proof of Louis' descent.

Thanks a lot beforehand for the copy of registration or any other document (Census?) stating more details of Louis.
cleardot.gif

no_photo.png

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

When Louis Anderson was in Norway in 1917 he is listed as a rancher and he travelled together with his wife Karen. Is that a second wife?

They left Norway from the port of Trondheim, which is in another part of the country than Oslo and Arendal.

If he had been visiting in the Arendal area he would most probably go via the port of Kristiansand.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The retour-list with both persons: (Click the name for further information)

New Digital Archive:

http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/gen/sok/3?k[]=1601&fornavn=&etternavn=Anderson&kjonn=&bosted=&fodestad=&fodselsdato=&fodselsaar=&alder=&stilling_stand=&familiestilling=&utreisedato=1917-11-28&reisemal=&ankomstdato=&linje=&skip=&agent=&pass=&nytt_yrke=&aarsak=&utreisehavn=&ekspdato=&kontraktdato=&herred=&fogderi=&prgjeld=

Old DA:

År     Side     Linjenr     Lp.nr.     Ny gruppe     Reisedato     Førenamn     Etternamn     Sivilstand     Fam. stilling     Yrke     Kjønn     Fødd dato     Bustad     Reisemål     Linje     Skip     Billett     Føremål     Merknad
170754     1917     30     41     576     1     28.11.1917     Louis     Anderson     g         Rancher     m     1867     U.S.A.     New York     Norske     via Kr.ania     Cash     returpassager     Amk. borgerbrev av 11. mai 1904

170755     1917     30     42     577         28.11.1917     Karen     Anderson     g     Hustru     Rancher     k     1866     U.S.A.     New York     Norske     via Kr.ania     Cash     returpassager

Hustru = wife.

Endret av Anne-Lise Hansen
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

From the database " Emigranter from Trondheim 1867-1930"

28.11.1917 Louis Anderson g Rancher m 1867 USA New York Norske Via Kr.ania Cash Returpassenger American naturalized Citizen 11.May 1904

28.11.1917 Karen Anderson g (married) Rancher 1866 New York Norske via Kr. ania Cash Returpassenger

Are we certain that this actually is the right Louis Anderson ?

Hans Gangstø

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Perhaps this couple: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MLC9-MTP

Name:     Louis Anderson
Event Type:     Census
Event Year:     1910
Event Place:     Horse Prairie, Beaverhead, Montana, United States
Marital Status:     Married
Race:     White
Race (Original):     White
Relationship to Head of Household:     Head
Relationship to Head of Household (Original):     Head
Birth Year (Estimated):     1867
Birthplace:     Norway
Immigration Year:     1889
Father's Birthplace:     Norway
Mother's Birthplace:     Norway
Household     Role     Gender     Age     Birthplace
Louis Anderson     Head     M     43     Norway
Karen Anderson     Wife     F     48     Norway
Andrew Vaag     Servant     M     32     Norway

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

From another familytree at www.ancestry.com by "Ladyshane3221"

http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/54037579/person/13605137955

Louis A Anderson born July 1868 in Arendal,Norway

Death 30 april 1938 in Perth Amboy,Middlesex, New Jersey

Parents listed as:Axewl Anderson and wife Christine.

Marriage 3 July 1893 in Boston,Massachusetts to Inga Konstanse Johansdotter b Mars 1875 in Oslo, she died in Highstown,Mercer, New Jersey no date.

Hans Gangstø

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Anne-Lise, Hans & others,

Many thanks for your help. I contacted my American friend and will reply as soon as possible.

Have a nice weekend.

N. van der Brugge.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Could this be the same Family in Chicago 1900 ? Some similarities:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MS3G-9RV

Hans Gangstø

This family have moved to Indiana about 1903. They are still there in 1910: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MKGF-MGZ

I think they must be a different family, bacause in 1910 'our' family have already got several children i Massachusetts.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Found something interesting on a message board. This family moved to Arendal from Tanum in Bohuslän county, Sweden in 1874:

Axel Andersson

Shoemaker (married man)

b. 1/21/1843 in Naverstad, Göteborgs och Bohus län, Bohuslän

Emigrated 10/1/1874 from L:A Anrås Mellangård, Tanum, Göteborgs och Bohus län, Bohuslän to Arendal, Aust-Agder fylke, Norge

Source: Household Examination Roll, p. 6

Emibas migration file ID: Tanum O 1874 040-044

Un-normalized versions: Country of destination: Norway

Travelled with:

His wife: Anna Christina Andreasdotter, born December 31, 1844 in Uddevalla, Göteborgs and Bohus län, Bohuslän.

Their children:

- Olof Albin Axelsson, born July 2, 1868 in Tanum, Göteborgs and Bohus län, Bohuslän.

- Alida Axelsdotter, born February 18, 1866 in Kville, Göteborgs and Bohus län, Bohuslän.

- Hulda Lovisa Axelsdotter, born August 9, 1870 in Tanum, Göteborgs and Bohus län, Bohuslän.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Olof Albin is confirmed in Barbu Oct. 1st 1883:

Kildeinformasjon: Aust-Agder fylke, Barbu, Ministerialbok nr. A 1 /1 (1878-1883), Konfirmerte 1882, side 278.
Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=6138&idx_id=6138&uid=ny&idx_side=-180
Permanent bildelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20070118340252.jpg

(nr. 26)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider