Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Birth of Louis Anderson etc.

N. van der Brugge
 Del

#Tove

Inga arrived on May 20th in New York from Liverpool, 18 years old. Her first child was born on Oct. 19th 1893. May be she was already pregnant when leaving Norway

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

#Tove

This is apart of the mail I received from the USA. I have posted it already, but it seems having disappeared. Another part will follow.

Yes, that marriage record, noting both Louis Olof's and Inga Contance's parents first names, etc. from the "Massachusetts, Marriages, 1841-1915," index and images has been in our tree for some years now. I first saw it on the New England Genealogical and Historical Society's website. Then later, at familysearch.org, but eventually when ancestry.com offered the same index, I listed it as the source document proving their marriage, dates, etc. I've looked at the actual image for it many times, but it's just a handwritten listing by someone working for the City of Boston. I've been told there aren't any additional documents the City or State of Mass. would have re: this marriage.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hello again

Yes, that is what I was thinking - that Inga must have been already pregnant when she left Norway. It is such a very short time after she arrived that she was married in Massachusetts. So did Inga and Louis know each other before she arrived? Was he the father of the child? Had he been back to Norway - as a sailor - and met Inga there? She must have travelled to Boston with the purpose to marry him.

I am convinced, but I don't know what it takes to convince your friend that Olof Albin Anderson is the right person. He jumped ship in New York. Could there be any papers on him in N.Y.? Records for sailors jumping ship?

They have no names of his siblings?

Endret av Tove D. Johansen
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

#Tove
I don't know when Louis and Inga did meet, but I take it that Louis is the father of their child and that she went to the USA to marry him.
My friend wants to be absolutely sure of the family relation and prefers to have it proved by documents, that why she has been searching several years already. I await her reaction from the Boston archive.
Will you do me a favour and mail me the mother's name of Elen Marie Amundsdotter. I can't read same. (Forpagter ???? Amund etc.) The link of the record is www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN.no-a1450-kb20060301031020.jpg, entry no. 30

Thank you.

cleardot.gif

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The link doesn't work..

Elen Maries confirmation October 2. 1864:
Kildeinformasjon: Oslo fylke, Østre Aker, Ministerialbok nr. 1 (1861-1869), Konfirmerte 1864, side 282.
Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=579&idx_id=579&uid=ny&idx_side=-297
Permanent bildelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20060301030900.jpg   
(entry nr. 9)

Parents are forpakter (Leaseholder) Amund Gundersen and wife Marthe Marie Bergersdatter. They live at Mortensrud in Aker.

From FamilySearch: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NWF8-HF8

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The baptism is here:

Kildeinformasjon: Oslo fylke, Oslo Hospital / Gamlebyen, Ministerialbok nr. 3 (1829-1849), Fødte og døpte 1849, side 158.
Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=7704&idx_id=7704&uid=ny&idx_side=-163
Permanent bildelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20061109010471.jpg

(nr. 74 - girls)

Here the father is called husmann = cotter.

Did you see my answer in #41 about the picture of the baptism?

Endret av Anne-Lise Hansen
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

#Anne-Lise

Thank you for the information

#Tove:

Parish register (official) no.1 (1861-1869), marriage records 1869, page 408, entry no. 30.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 6 måneder senere...

Hello Anne-Lise/Tove and others,

The American friend has still not yet received Louis Anderson's death certificate.

Louis was born as Olof Albin and his parents were Axel and Anna Christina. The witnesses are August and Anna Christina, see # 41.

As per an Ancestry hint there are Finnish roots, what I cannot check as I'm not a member of Ancestry.

Is it possible for you to search in a Scandinavian register whether that Ancestry information is right? Thank you.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 4 uker senere...

I am happy to confirm Oluf Albin Axelson = Louis Anderson/Johnson. He also used the name Olaf Anderson (marriage of July 1893 and birth record of daughter, Elsie Marie, 1914).

Just to recapitulate, Oluf Albin was born 2nd July 1868 in Tanum, Sweden (post # 36)  and moved (post # 28) with his family to Strømsbu, Austre Moland in 1874 (# 45 in link), just outside Arendal, Aust Agder. He grew up at Hansnes, Strømsbu, (west of Arendal) in Austre Moland municipality (from 1878 Hansnes, Strømsbu was incorporated in Barbu municipality). Oluf A went to sea and in December 1886 he deserted from ship in New York. His movements from this date until the marriage of 1893 are unaccounted for.

Moreover, Oluf A had 4 brothers born in Hansnes and one of them, Johan Nikolai, is of particular interest and significance.

He was born 30th September 1877 (# 92) and confirmed 1st November 1891 (# 11). He appeared in the census of 1891, Barbu Herred. He went to sea in 1893 (# 3994), and just like his brother Oluf A, he deserted the ship, but not in America. He deserted in Halifax, (# 7353) NS, Canada in 1896. The ship’s name was “Sea Breeze” and had left Arendal July 1895.

In 1906, John N. Anderson (# 1) immigrated to USA from Canada. post-5105-0-71417200-1441373864_thumb.png post-5105-0-58827900-1441373929_thumb.png post-5105-0-29047000-1441373937_thumb.png

John N. Anderson stated he was 28, from Norway, last place he resided was Arendal. He had landed in Halifax, NS in 1895, and the ship’s name was “Sea Breeze”. These facts affirm he was Johan Nikolai Anderson, the very same as in the above documented facts from Norwegian sources. Furthermore, he was going to join his brother Olif Anderson, 223 Everett Street, Boston Massachusetts. In 1905, Oluf A. (or Louis Johnson as he used at that time) and his wife Inga lived on 223 Everett Street, Boston MA, verified through the birth of their child, Oluf Aksel Bertinius, (# 5525) born 18th July 1905.

Add to the fact Johan Nikolai only had one brother named Oluf - thus: Oluf Albin Axelsen = Louis Anderson (= Louis Johnson/Olaf Anderson).

In the next posting I will provide my findings for his other brothers.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

What an impressive and elegant entry you have made, Egil J.!!! :) :) :)

This really removes any uncertainty about the origin of this family!

Well, thank you Anne-Lise, much appreciated :D !

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Egil,

Thanks again, Egil, for your efforts. Marvellous

V.h. Nico.

Thank you, Nico! It has been a pleasure working with you  :)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi you all !

Hereunder follows the mail I just received from the USA:

Nico,

Thank you and do pass along my and my family's sincerest thanks for all the work you all did on this most complicated question. Having seen the various conversations and threads you all posted is very impressive and I will continue to provide you with anything and everything I can in terms of newly discovered source materials from this side of the Atlantic.

By the way, I also did participate in ancestry.com's DNA testing, so it would be interesting sometime for any of us cousins, anywhere in the world to compare results. While the "ethnicity testing" is still not completely reliable for many reasons, the matching of cousins, and to what degree they are cousins, is remarkably accurate and spot on.

Blessings to you and all who helped on this!
cleardot.gif

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Brothers of Louis Anderson

Axel Kristian Andersen:

Born 8th March, baptized 10th June - 1883 (# 47). Oluf Albin Andersen, witness.

Census of 1891

Died 4th June, buried 10th June - 1894 (# 34). Cause of death: diphtheria.

Anders Bertinius Andersen:

Born 27th February, baptized 17th May - 1880 (# 34).

Census of 1891

Confirmed 30th September 1894 (# 21).

Seaman from 1896 (# 4317).

Census 1900, occupation: ordinary seaman, assumed residence: Mexico.

Deserted ship in Port Augusta 1900, returned home 1901 (# 7299).

Appeared as witness at baptism of his niece, Margit Charlotte in 1901 (# 50).

My research for Anders Bertinius ends here.

Karl Oskar Andersen:

Born 19th November 1874, baptized 17th May 1875 (# 40).

Confirmed 30th September 1888 (# 50).

Seaman from 1889 (# 3302).

Census of 1891 occupation; sailor > deckhand, junior seaman.

Birth of a child, Oscar Vilhelm, 8th April, baptized 5th May 1895 (# 20).

Marriage 29th September 1895 to Edla Elisabeth Sjöberg (# 16).

Birth of a child, Elise Kristine, 11th October, baptized 7th November 1897 (# 49). Karl Oskar’s occupation: sawmill worker. Family lived at Vige, Oddernes, Vest-Agder. Link to information for Oddernes. Most likely he worked at Vige sawmill, established 1875. Photo of sawmill workers from Vige sawmill approximately 1899 (source: page 372, Oddernes Bygdebok, auth. Kåre Rudjord, 1974).

Birth of a child, Johan Arnold, 8th August, baptized 10th September 1899 (# 43).

Census of 1900. Occupation: plankebærer = lumber/plank carrier. Family resided at Vige.

Birth of child, Alf Christian, 21st November, baptized 29th December 1901 (# 52).

Emigration 18th April 1902 (# 6936). According to seamen rolls he departed Kristiansand aboard Danish Steamboat (no name of ship given), destination “udland” = foreign country. Immigration to US not found.  NOTEWORTHY: In petition for Naturalization he stated he left Christiania (Oslo) 1st March 1901 and arrived in New York 17th May same year; ship’s name Oscar II. Only one big problem; Oscar II was not launched until 14th November 1901.

Emigration of wife Edla Andersen and children Vilhelm, Elise, Arnold and Alf 1st of September 1904, departure port Kristiansand, destination New York.

Immigration of said wife and children (# 6-10) 20th September 1904. post-5105-0-25467400-1441465086_thumb.jpg

State census 1905 New York, Kings County, Brooklyn (# 5-10, page 24).

They had 4 more children, Charles (b.1905-d.1907), Ellen Mathilde (b.1907), Carl Edvard (b.1909) and Anne Margrete (b.1911-d.1912). The family can be found in censuses of 1910, 1915, 1920, 1925, 1930 and 1940 all in Brooklyn, Kings Co., NY.

Carl Anderson is also found in World War II Draft Reg. and in Naturalization Rec.

Karl Oskar Andersen or Carl/Charles Anderson, lived in Brooklyn, Kings Co. probably until he died. His death record and burial site not found. His wife, Edla died 17th January 1932. She was buried at The Evergreens Cemetery.

Finally, those interested in information and sources for his wife Edla and her family, please do contact me. It won’t be posted here as it does not apply to the topic of this thread.

Endret av Egil Johannessen
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider