Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Gjermund and Kari Guttormson history

George Henry Guttormson
 Del

Hello:

Can anyone tell me the history of Gjermund and Kari Guttormson in Norway before they emigrated to the USA? Can anyone tell me where to search?

What I know:

Gjermund Guttormson, born 1845, died 1886, emigrated ?

Kari Guttormson, born 1845, died 1913, emigrated 1867

I believe they were married before emigrating. Kari's maiden name may have been Kvemshagen.

Thank you,

George Guttormson

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

https://familysearch.org/tree/#view=ancestor&person=LZVG-DQR

http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/ft/person/pf01038086003437

marriage, no. 12:

Kildeinformasjon: Buskerud fylke, Nes, Ministerialbok nr. 10 (1864-1880), Ekteviede 1867, side 453.
Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=5561&idx_id=5561&uid=ny&idx_side=-227
Permanent bildelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20060913010419.jpg

emigration, no. 170 and 171:

Kildeinformasjon: Buskerud fylke, Nes, Ministerialbok nr. 10 (1864-1880), Inn- og utflyttede 1867, side 609.
Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=5561&idx_id=5561&uid=ny&idx_side=-311
Permanent bildelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20060913010503.jpg

Endret av Sven Hjortland
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hello Tom:

The death records at the church/cemetary where Gjermund and Kari rest (Silver Lake Lutheran Church in Worth County, Iowa, USA), has the following writing:

Gjermund Guttormson Engen

Mrs Kari Guttormson...born in Noes, Norge...Tilhorte Bristol nigh

-I have a couple of photographs of Hallingdal farms from when Gjermund's son (my grandfather Lewis) took a trip there in 1930.

Regards,

George Guttormson

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

George

Engen is farm-names i Hallingdal, lot of families living there.

Noes = Næs(Naes)

If you put a copy of the farm photo, maybe some reconais it.

Tom

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

In 1865 I find One That Can be possible in Nes, Hallingdal.

Hope there is someone out there who have access to the history books of Nes, who can check whether it's something that can

confirm or deny whether it may be the same person. http: / /digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/ft/person/pf01038086002918

Hello Tom:

Thank you for the research...it looks very likely that this Gjermund Guttormsen is my great grandfather. In my investigations I do not see any other persons with the combination of names Gjermund and Guttormsen.

Thanks again,

George

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

https://familysearch.org/tree/#view=ancestor&person=LZVG-DQR

http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/ft/person/pf01038086003437

marriage, no. 12:

Source Information: Buskerud county, Nes, Ministerialbok no. 10 (1864-1880), Ekteviede 1867, page 453. Permanent Image Link: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20060913010419.jpg

emigration, no. 170 and 171:

Source Information: Buskerud county, Nes, Ministerialbok no. 10 (1864-1880), Input and expatriate 1867, page 609. Permanent Image Link: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20060913010503.jpg

Hi Sven:

Thank you for the research...the information you have provided appears very convincing to me that Gjermund and Kari are my great grandparents. From the emigration book, is there any indication of where their emigration port city may have been? From your understanding of where the Nes parish is in Norway, could you guess where their emigration port city may have been?

Thanks again,

George Guttormson

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi George,

The city of Drammmen would be the closest emigration port to reach from Nes in Hallingdal. I think I found Gjermund and Kari emigrating from Drammen May 5 1867 onboard the barque 'Askur' headed for Quebec , Canada, arrival date June 22, see # 2 and 3 on this list Passenger lists and Emigrant ships from Norway-Heritage http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_list.asp?jo=158&ps=44640.

From the emigrant records of Nes parish that Sven points to, Jermund G. comes from the farm Graasvold - in the passenger list above named Grøsvold - and Kari Ev. comes from the farm Sanden, same farm name as in the passenger list. The registrar may have misinterpreted Kari for Marie. Their given age matches exactly so I'm pretty confident this 'your' Gjermund.

One may note that one Østen G. Sanden with family also is recorded as emigrating from Nes in Hallingdal onboard the same ship. Searching the emigrating records of Nes parish just below Jermund G. and Kari Ev. one will find the same family mentioned. At Census 1865 they all live on the same farm Sanden as does Kari Evensdatter along with siblings and her widowed father  http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/ft/person/pf01038086003440

So their emigration at the same time onboard the same ship was hardly a coincidence.

Kjell H.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Kjell:

Wow!...this is very interesting information you have found...I had no idea that their surnames in the immigration list for the ship would have had the farm names. I think you have found the history of my great grandparents Gjermund and Kari in Norway for sure.

As you know, I have found the gravestone for Gjermund at the Silver Lake Lutheran Cemetary in Iowa....but not the gravestone for Kari. The Silver Lake Lutheran Church does have a record of Kari's death many years after Gjermund and she did not get married again. When I was at the cemetary a few months ago, the people that manage the cemetary speculated that her gravestone was either buried or broken after time and discarded....so I am going to go back to the cemetary at a later date and see what I can find. Do you think that as a widow, Kari may have a gravestone with 'Kari Sanden' or 'Kari Evensdatter' instead of 'Kari Guttormsen'?

Regards,

George Guttormson

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Since The Silver Lake Lutheran Church have a record of Kari's death, I'd think that any gravestone, obituary or any other mentioning of her after her death would use that particular name. The Census 1900 and 1910 show Kari Guttormsen and Kari Gutormson respectively.

Kjell H.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjermund Guttormsen was born 6th of January 1845 and baptized 27th of August 1845 in Nes, Hallingdal, Buskerud, Norway. He was a son of Guttorm Gjermundsen and Randi Andersdatter. Guttorm and Randi got married on the 19th of February 1842 but had already a daughter upon marriage whom they strategically didn’t baptize until after the marriage had been completed.

Other children of Guttorm and Randi: Barbro Guttormsdatter (b. 21st of December 1841), Synneva Guttormsdatter (b. 9th of July 1843), [possibly missing children], Ole Guttormsen (b. 1st of May 1850), Ole Guttormsen (b. 6th of June 1852), Anders Guttormsen (b. 5th of May 1854) and Liv Guttormsdatter (b. 23rd of September 1859).

Guttorm was born on the 16th of April 1816 and baptized on the 28th of April 1816 in Nes, Hallingdal, Buskerud, Norway as a son of Gjermund Guttormsen and Barbro Olsdatter. Gjermund and Barbro got married on the 22nd of October 1805. Other children: Else Gjermundsdatter (b. 10th of December 1813), Ole Gjermundsen (b. 16th of September 1818) and Else Gjermundsdatter (b. 18th of February 1822). Since they got married already in 1805 there’s room for 3-4 children before the birth of their daughter Else.

Information that isn’t linked above comes from FamilySearch.com – what is linked is then linked directly to the church records.

Then you have a bit more information to help you on the way.  :)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Kjell:

This is great information...you have found this family history back to Gjermund Guttormsen and Barbro Olsdatter back to the marriage in 1805...they were born in the 1700s...amazing. So it seems that all these generations of 'Guttormsens' lived in the parish of Nes. From where you found the history, is there evidence of what specific church they were members of? Were they farmers that lived in the counrty or did they live in towns in Nes?

Thank you,

George Guttormson

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

It's more to be found, check the attached screen dump I made from a search thru my account at FamilySearch.com - i.e. same source that Kjell Arne is pointing to in # 11 above.

post-179-0-53693500-1434749964_thumb.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Kjell:

Incredible records...so studying this tree I would understand that Hedalen, Oppland  was the regional area that my paternal side of my family originated from with Gutorm Ostensen? ....and Nes, Hallingdal was the regional area that my maternal side of family originated from? ....and that the family lived in Nes from the mid-1700s until essentially modern times?

I will make some jpeg images of the farm photos I have...maybe there is enough information for someone to identify the region or even farm...

Regards,

George Guttormson

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Info from FamilySearch.com normally doesn't come with a source reference. Consequently every bit of info has to be checked before an entry is made into own genealogical database. In this case the info from FS proved to be correct so your understanding of the different regions from where these ancestors of yours originated from seems right. To be noted is that Hedalen in Oppland and Nes in Hallingdal, Buskerud were - and still are - neighboring municipalities, so the travel distance wasn't/isn't that far.

According to the attached image, with some hard work one may possibly trace your ancestors even farther back.

Guttorm Østensen married Else Gjermundsdatter in Hedalen church of Aurdal parish,  Oppland County on Nov 1 1764, third couple from bottom left hand side http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=9362&idx_id=9362&uid=ny&idx_side=-112

They followed the naming tradition of the time by naming their first child Østen  - christened June 23 in 1766 - after Guttorm Østensen's father and the second child was also a boy and was named Gjermund  - christened Feb 2 in 1769 -after Else Gjermundsdatter's father. Later they had a daughter Olia, christened June 20 in 1772. These three children were born and christened in Hedalen church, Aurdal, Oppland.

Their second son named Gjermund was born and christened in Nes parish of Hallingdal in Buskerud County, living at farm Berg when he was christened in Nes church April 21 1780 - # 29 at page 261 -  http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=3049&idx_id=3049&uid=ny&idx_side=-138  Ergo the family must have moved from Hedalen to Nes within the time frame 1772-1780.

So it seems like it was Gjermund and Guttorm for 5 generations from Giermund Olsen born approx 1712, father of Else Gjermundsdatter, thru Guttorm Østensen 1741-1807, his son Gjermund Guttormsen 1780-1863, his son Guttorm Gjermundsen 1816-1895 to Gjermund Guttormsen 1845-1886. Quite a list.

Kjell H.

post-179-0-84569600-1434906734_thumb.jpg

Endret av Kjell Halvorsen
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Kjell:

I am astounded that  you can trace my family lineage back to the mid-1600s...is this because the Norwegian churches and governments were and are so well respected that records are preserved? I appreciate the investigations you have done but I dont expect you to perform any more work as I understand it is time consuming and hard on the eyes. Maybe at a later date you can give me some coaching and I can try the work. My basic goal of understanding where my family came from and who the immediate descendants are has been more than achieved.

You mentioned that Gjermund, the second son of Guttorm Ostenson and Else Gjermunddatter, was christened in both Hedalen(1769) and Nes(1780) churches. Is this unusual or not? Or was the second christening a confirmation maybe?....or am I confused?

Also, I understand that from the oldest tradition of Norwegian naming is that the first name has a meaning...do you have any idea if 'Guttorm' and 'Gjermund' have any ancient meaning?

Thanks,

George Guttormson 

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

George

Engen is farm-names i Hallingdal, lot of families living there.

Noes = Næs(Naes)

If you put a copy of the farm photo, maybe some reconais it.

Tom

Hi Tom:

Attached are photos of a trip in 1930 that my grandparents(Lewis and Borghild Guttormson) took to Norway. I think all the photos are from the Hallingdal area where my great-grandparents (Gjermund and Kari Guttormsen) came from. So I am  wondering if these photos are from farms in Nes and if anyone can recognize the farms or people. Possible farm names: Engen, Graasul, Sanden.

Photo 1 and 2: Described as in the mountains on the Satera where the people take their cattle in the summer time. The man with the jacket is my grandfather and the other adults were the people they were visiting.

Photo 3: Described as a house my family stayed at. Man in jacket is my grandfather and the other people are presumably the people are unknown.

Photos 4 and 5: Described as farms in Hallingdal.

Photo 6: Described as the only Shell gas station in Norway. The owners are described as relatives.

Photo 7: Described as my great-grandmother Liv Johansen (on right) and a friend.

Photo 8: Described as my great-grandmother's sister and husband.

Photo 9: Described as a great uncle.

Regards,

George Guttormson

post-7730-0-97920800-1434997008_thumb.jpg

post-7730-0-24350600-1434997010_thumb.jpg

post-7730-0-41518300-1434997011_thumb.jpg

post-7730-0-71200400-1434997012_thumb.jpg

post-7730-0-63897200-1434997013_thumb.jpg

post-7730-0-47307800-1434997014_thumb.jpg

post-7730-0-36013600-1434997015_thumb.jpg

post-7730-0-16383200-1434997016_thumb.jpg

post-7730-0-35154100-1434997017_thumb.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi George,

The first son of Guttorm Ostensen and Else Gjermundsdatter named Gjermund was born in 1769 in Hedalen of Oppland County and he probably died before 1780 when the family had moved to Nes in Buskerud County. 1780 Else had another son and he was named Gjermund after his deceased brother. This was a common naming tradition at the time.

As to any ancient meaning of names Guttorm and Gjermund I'm sorry to say I'm clueless.

I think I found a match to the house depicted in 'Trip to Norway  photos-3.jpg' where your granddad in the jacket stands in front of a new construction added to the farm house.

Attached is an image from 'Norske gardsbruk: Buskerud fylke, vol 2' page1165. It contains some info and picture of the farms Sanden gnr 89 bnr 22 and Sanden Nordre gnr 89 bnr 13 of Nes parish in Buskerud County. 89/22 is the farm that a nephew of your great grandfather Gjermund had taken over from his father Ole Guttormsen. His name was Guttorm Olsen Sanden.

A detailed comparison of this house's structure, placing and design of the windows in addition to the extension to the house, which apparently wasn't fully finished at the time of your granddad visiting, with the above mentioned photo from the 1930 trip to Norway, to me reveals a striking similarity.

One more thing that helps underline my theory: take a close look at the photo from 1930 and at the far right side approx halfway up you'll see in the distance a barn/outbuilding close to a steep hillside behind it. I think that building is also depicted at the attached image from 'Norske Gardsbruk' - check the looks of the barn of farm Sanden Nordre gnr 89 bnr 13.

These buildings will not hardly be found any more, but the land- and title numbers have remained the same since the last revision in 1886. Studying the attached map, looking from Sanden 89/22 to the northwest one will find Sanden Nordre 89/13 a few hundred meters away, check the scale at lower left of image. The compact contour lines behind Sanden Nordre indicates a very steep hillside.

In 1930 the owner of Sanden 89/22 was Guttorm Sanden, first cousin to your granddad Lewis. Most probably he is the farmer also shown on the photo possibly along with his wife Maria Olava Caspara Ask and another female.

Kjell H.

post-179-0-00891200-1435080731_thumb.jpg

post-179-0-90906200-1435082024_thumb.jpg

Endret av Kjell Halvorsen
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Kjell:

You are a researching maniac!

These remarkable images from Norske Gardsbruk  of 89/22 certainly have close resemblance to photo #3...and with the circumstance evidence we have leads one to believe that photo #3 is Sanden 89/22. I would agree that the far building in photo #3 has a resemblance to the right side building in photo of North Sanden 89/13...the colors are not the same but the features appear to be the same: a short chimney in the middle; rectangles under the roof eaves; and a stone transition in the wood wall; and the direction to the hill that the roof gable is facing...very well could be.

I have found a couple more photos of farms...I will post them when I get them scanned.

I am also researching the Guttormson family in Iowa....the church(Bristol Lutheran Church) that grandfather Lewis was a member of is gone now. The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) has sent me a CD-rom of the church records that were saved. So I am trying to read these old books. They are all in Norwegian. Can you help me with some translations?

"Daabsdatum"

"Forældrenes"

"Faddernes"

"Naar og af hvem barnet er hjemmedøbt fremmede"

Thanks,

George Guttormson

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

"Daabsdatum" = Date of christening, "Forældrenes" = Parents, "Faddernes" = God parents,

"Naar og af hvem barnet er hjemmedøbt" = At what date and by whom was the child christened at home. "fremmede" doesn't seem to fit into this sentence, but it means stranger.

In case you'll accept any assistance on reading the church records from the CD-rom, just pass them on to me and I'll give it a shot. You already have my email account.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Tom:

Attached are photos of a trip in 1930 that my grandparents(Lewis and Borghild Guttormson) took to Norway. I think all the photos are from the Hallingdal area where my great-grandparents (Gjermund and Kari Guttormsen) came from. So I am  wondering if these photos are from farms in Nes and if anyone can recognize the farms or people. Possible farm names: Engen, Graasul, Sanden.

Photo 1 and 2: Described as in the mountains on the Satera where the people take their cattle in the summer time. The man with the jacket is my grandfather and the other adults were the people they were visiting.

Photo 3: Described as a house my family stayed at. Man in jacket is my grandfather and the other people are presumably the people are unknown.

Photos 4 and 5: Described as farms in Hallingdal.

Photo 6: Described as the only Shell gas station in Norway. The owners are described as relatives.

Photo 7: Described as my great-grandmother Liv Johansen (on right) and a friend.

Photo 8: Described as my great-grandmother's sister and husband.

Photo 9: Described as a great uncle.

Regards,

George Guttormson

Hello all:

Attached are more photos.

Photo 10: My aunt Carmen Guttormson standing in front of a farm described as being owned by Vallems(?) or Pallems(?) or...? (I cannot read the handwriting)

Photo 11: Described as: "this is a waterfall by the home of Hönefogs(?) in Hallingdal"

Photo 12: Described as: "this is one of the wealthiest farms in Norway a little ways from Drammen"

Regards,

George Guttormson

post-7730-0-53883800-1435116688_thumb.jpg

post-7730-0-59729300-1435116691_thumb.jpg

post-7730-0-05752300-1435116693_thumb.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Kjell:

You are a researching maniac!

These remarkable images from Norske Gardsbruk  of 89/22 certainly have close resemblance to photo #3...and with the circumstance evidence we have leads one to believe that photo #3 is Sanden 89/22. I would agree that the far building in photo #3 has a resemblance to the right side building in photo of North Sanden 89/13...the colors are not the same but the features appear to be the same: a short chimney in the middle; rectangles under the roof eaves; and a stone transition in the wood wall; and the direction to the hill that the roof gable is facing...very well could be.

I have found a couple more photos of farms...I will post them when I get them scanned.

I am also researching the Guttormson family in Iowa....the church(Bristol Lutheran Church) that grandfather Lewis was a member of is gone now. The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) has sent me a CD-rom of the church records that were saved. So I am trying to read these old books. They are all in Norwegian. Can you help me with some translations?

"Daabsdatum"

"Parents"

"Faddernes"

"When and by whom the child is hjemmedøbt foreign"

Thanks,

George Guttormson

Hi All:

Attached is one more photo. It is described as Hallingdal, summer of 1930. I may have exceeded my limit of attachments so it may not appear. I can e-mail if anyone is interested.

Regards,

George Guttormson

post-7730-0-15488400-1435334711_thumb.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 6 måneder senere...

Hello George,

I'm familiar with your ancestors on Sanden because my great great grandparents were Osten Guttormsen Bortnes and Ragnild Johnsdtr Sanden.knew them.  They lived on Sanden and the photo posted by Kjell Halvorsen was the home my ancestors lived in.  Also Gjermund and Kari immigrated on the same ship Askar in 1867 as my great great grandparents Osten and Ragnild..  I was on Sanden in 1996. to visit with a 4th cousin Knut Sanden. I have much more too much to post here. I also have a very old photo of Sanden from 1860's The farm history on Grasult can be found in Gards og Slektshistorie for Nes I Hallingdal volume I by Terje Ostro 2002 ISBN 82-990674-4-8 

The Grasult farm was south of Sanden and across the Hallingdalselva (river)

John Wasylow

Endret av wasylow@q.com
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi John:

Thanks for looking and providing information to my post! I am very interested in what history you have on the people that lived on the Sanden farm and the Norwegian traditions and history in general of Hallingdal. If it is too difficult to communicate or transfer information on this website, we can communicate via e-mail if you choose. My e-mail is ghgutt@gmail.com. Also, I go by my middle name "Henry" instead of my first name "George".

Godt Nyttår,

Henry Guttormson

Hello George,

I'm familiar with your ancestors on Sanden because my great great grandparents were Osten Guttormsen Bortnes and Ragnild Johnsdtr Sanden.knew them.  They lived on Sanden and the photo posted by Kjell Halvorsen was the home my ancestors lived in.  Also Gjermund and Kari immigrated on the same ship Askar in 1867 as my great great grandparents Osten and Ragnild..  I was on Sanden in 1996. to visit with a 4th cousin Knut Sanden. I have much more too much to post here. I also have a very old photo of Sanden from 1860's The farm history on Grasult can be found in Gards og Slektshistorie for Nes I Hallingdal volume I by Terje Ostro 2002 ISBN 82-990674-4-8 

The Grasult farm was south of Sanden and across the Hallingdalselva (river)

John Wasylow

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider