Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Christopher Martin Suckow - fødd i Hafslo 1844 - til Amerika 1845 - borgarkrigssoldat - so til Sør-Afrika - lagnaden hans?

Lars E. Øyane
 Del

Christopher Martin Suckow, eldste son av Lars Johan Suckow og kona Sigrid, som i 1845 utvandra til Amerika frå Hafslo,

var f. i Hafslo 18.9.1844.  Han voks opp dels i Wisconsin, dels i Illinois og dels i Decorah, IA og var vaksen då huslyden i 1864 slo seg ned som farmarar nær Sioux Rapids, Buena Vista Co., IA.

Christopher verva seg i borgarkrigen og budde ei tid etter krigen var over i Macon, GA, men tok endeleg avskil som soldat i Claibourne, AL hausten 1870.

Deretter vart all kontakt broten med resten av familien, men det gjekk rykte om at Christopher då skal vera faren til Sør-Afrika, om det var som soldat eller eventyrar, veit me ikkje, men uansett; ingen høyrde nokon gong meir gjete han etter den tid!

So no er spørsmålet:  Greier nokon å finna ut, 145 år etter, kva som skjedde med denne tidlege emigranten frå Hafslo i Sogn?

Eg takkar so mykje på førehand for alle gode tips!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Christapa M Suckow

United States Census, 1860

birth:
Norway
residence:
Springfield Township, Winnesheik, Iowa, United States
other:
Lars Suckow, Sarah Suckow, Cristena Suckow, Fredrick W Suckow, Maranda Suckow, Lewis A Suckow...

Christopher M Suckow

United States Registers of Enlistments in the U.S. Army, 1798-1914

birth:
military service:
13 November 1867
McGregor, , Iowa, United States

Flere som lurer på hvor han ble av:

Looking for Christopher Martin Larsen Suckow
Posted: 6 Oct 2013 12:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: SUCKOW or SUCHOW
I am seeking information on one of my ancestors that was at one time enlisted in the Civil army and then came to Macon County Georgia for a brief time.
A bit of information on him:
Christopher Martin Larsen Suckow
Born: September 18, 1844
His father's name was Lars Suckow.
He was a twin brother to Frederick Suckow of Decorah Iowa. I just have not been able to find Christopher. If anyone can help me with this search it would greatly be helpful.
The last name could be spelled SUCHOW too. I have seen it spelled this way.

http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.northam.usa.states.georgia.counties.macon/15015.1/mb.ashx

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Christopher Martin Suckow, eldste son av Lars Johan Suckow og kona Sigrid, som i 1845 utvandra til Amerika frå Hafslo,

var f. i Hafslo 18.9.1844.  Han voks opp dels i Wisconsin, dels i Illinois og dels i Decorah, IA og var vaksen då huslyden i 1864 slo seg ned som farmarar nær Sioux Rapids, Buena Vista Co., IA.

Christopher verva seg i borgarkrigen og budde ei tid etter krigen var over i Macon, GA, men tok endeleg avskil som soldat i Claibourne, AL hausten 1870.

Deretter vart all kontakt broten med resten av familien, men det gjekk rykte om at Christopher då skal vera faren til Sør-Afrika, om det var som soldat eller eventyrar, veit me ikkje, men uansett; ingen høyrde nokon gong meir gjete han etter den tid!

So no er spørsmålet:  Greier nokon å finna ut, 145 år etter, kva som skjedde med denne tidlege emigranten frå Hafslo i Sogn?

Eg takkar so mykje på førehand for alle gode tips!

Hei Lars

Vedrorende Christopher, leser jeg at det var et rykte at han skulle ha emigrert til Sor-Afrika omlag 1871.

Jeg tviler meget sterkt paa at det var som soldat. Eventyrer er dog et vidt begrep.

1. Det var svaert mange som reiste til Sor-Afrika fra omlag 1871, dette paa bakgrunn av store diamantfunn i Kimberley

,2.Det var svert mange immiganter senere paa bakgrunn av gullfunn i Transvaal (1880-tallet). Disse minrealforekomstene resulterte i kriger (1 boerkrig, Jameson-raidet, 2 boerkrig).

Hvis Christopher reiste til Sor-Afrika, regner jeg med at aarsaken var punkt 1. (lite trolig med andre alternativer (tross alt fra USA).

Det bor ogsaa nevnes at det var mange, som bosatte seg i Sor-Afrika i denne perioden (med forskjellige yrker).

Jeg har ingen aner fra Sor-Afrika, dette kun paa et historisk grunnlag..

Det forste stedet jeg ville belyst, er mao Kimberley.

Mvh

Ole Petter Eriksen

Endret av Ole Petter Eriksen
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hjarteleg takk til Ole Petter for eit interessant og spennande innlegg!

Eg ser at Christopher Suckow kan ha hatt ymse grunnar til å utvandra til Sør-Afrika, men uansett kva grunnen var; det store problemet vårt er at kjeldetilfanget er heller "tunt", og det vert nok ikkje noki enkel sak å finna ut av dette...  Eg veit til dømes ikkje kva som finst av folketeljingar frå Kimberley-området frå 1870-åri...

Men, kven veit, kanskje ein dag treff ein på nokon som leiter i "hi retningi", d.v.s. etterkomarar som vil spora attende, og då vil eit google-søk leia fram til Brukarforum i Digitalarkivet!  Eg har hatt fleire slike tilfelle med emne som vart drøfta for både fem og ti år sidan!!

Eg takkar på ny for alle gode tips!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Ser intet spor etter Christopher på nettet, men fant en omfattende biography på broren Nelson Suckow.

Extracted from: Wegerslev, C. H. and Thomas Walpole.

Past and Present of Buena Vista County, Iowa. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1909, p. 608-13.

Transcribed by Mary Alice Schwanke and Cyndi Vertrees

Biography of Nelson Suckow

Nelson Suckow, who follows farming on the old homestead property in Lee township, Buena Vista county, is a worthy representative of one of the old and prominent families of this section of the state. He is a native of Decorah, Iowa, born July 7, 1854, a son of Lars J. and Sigried (Boe) Suckow, both of whom were natives of Norway. In 1844 the emigrated with their family to America, the trip across the Atlantic requiring ten weeks. Landing at Quebec, Canada, they journeyed by lake to Muskego, Wisconsin, where they spent two years. On the expiration of that period they continued their journey to Winnebago county, Illinois, where they remained six years. With a wagon and team of oxen they then journeyed to Decorah, Iowa, where the father engaged in farming for twelve years and, then, being a shoemaker by trade, he also did shoemaking in connection with his farming operations.

In 1864 Buena Vista county was being opened up for settlement and in May of that year Mr. Suckow, with a colony of people, made the journey from Decorah to this section. He had two yoke of oxen and in all there were twenty-four teams, and they also brought sheep, cattle and goats. This part of the country was entirely wild and unimproved, roads had not yet been laid out, and streams and rivers were unbridged. It was a long and hazardous journey but these sturdy pioneers possessed the fortitude and courage that enabled them to press onward into the interior of the country. They traveled through Fort Dodge and coming to the Des Moines river, found that there was no bridge on which to cross. They journeyed on from Twin Lakes to Sac City, which at that time contained but one store and a post office. From there they made their way to the present site of Storm Lake, which at that time was not laid out. After remaining in camp for two days they journeyed north and Mr. Suckow, be acquainted with Torkel Torkelson. Managed to find his place and by him was directed to the land on which Mr. Suckow settled. The 20th of June, 1864, witnessed his arrival there. He then had to go to Sioux City to file his claim on a homestead and the trip required about a week, it being the 4th of July that he returned home, proud that he had in his possession a deed to one hundred and sixty acres of land. The next problem that confronted him was the improvement of the land. He at once built a log cabin, twelve by fourteen feet in dimensions, with a sod roof and no floor, for the nearest point that lumber could be secured was at Fort Dodge, seventy-five miles distant. The first year Mr. Suckow cleared but six acres and the following year he cleared a similar amount, which was planted to the products that were needed only for their own living, for there was no market within reach of them and thus it was necessary to raise all the supplies needed by the family. It was about this time, in 1866, that the grasshoppers appeared and for three years most of the crops were destroyed.. The government then gave out wheat for seed to all who would apply and would appropriate the crops for their own use. In this way Mr. Suckow managed to provide for his family, consisting of nine children. The winter of 1869 was a severe one, the snow was so deep it was impossible to get to market and the only man who had any corn was Mr. Brook, who lived in Brook township, thirteen miles distant, and Mr. Suckow made a trip, requiring three days, to his place and secured corn from which to make bread. As time passed the country became more thickly settled, towns and villages sprung up, railroads were built, and they were brought in closer connection with the outside world.

The father, as stated above, was a shoemaker by trade and he eventually left the care of the farm to his sons, while he built a shop in Sioux Rapids and worked at his trade there. He became a prominent factor in the upbuilding and development of this section of the state and his labors were of direct benefit to Lee township. He became active in public affairs and for eight years served as county supervisor.. He was also prominent in the rural development of his community, being a devoted member of the Lutheran church, in the faith of which he passed away July 4, 1896, lacking but a few days of being seventy-nine years of age. Thus ended a long, useful and honorable career of one of the best known pioneers of Buena Vista county. The mother survived for about ten years and died May 24, 1906, having reached the advanced age of eighty-five years. Both are buried in the Sioux Valley cemetery.

The family numbered fourteen children but only five of the number now survive. The record is as follows: Christine died in Sioux Rapids in 1892. Fred and Christopher are twins, the former living in Millelacs county, Minnesota. Christopher enlisted in 1866 as a member of the regular army and for some time was stationed in Macon, Georgia. After his discharged it was learned that he started for the north and later it is supposed that he started for South Africa, but nothing has ever been heard from him since that time. Carl died in infancy. Ellen became the wife of Theodore Steen, an old soldier. He was mail agent on the Union Pacific railroad from Omaha to Ogden. His death occurred in Omaha in 1880,while his wife died August 13, 1881. They had two children: Lewis Steen is an electrician residing in California. Effie Steen is the wife of J. C. Kittleson, employed in the Columbia National Bank of Minneapolis, Minnesota. Edward died in infancy. Ludwig, now residing in Rapid City, South Dakota, wedded Julia Johnson, of Fort Dodge, Iowa, and has a family of six children. Bernard is the next member of the family. Nelson, the next in order of birth, is the subject of this review. Norris, who was born near Decorah, in Winneshiek county, still survives. Surene died in infancy. Theodore died at Spirit Lake, this state, in 1884, while out with a surveying party. Edward, who was born in Winneshiek county, Iowa, was lost in snow storm on the mountains near New Castle, Colorado, in 1902. Rudolph went to the Black Hills at the age of twenty-two years, and contracted an illness after which he returned to Sioux Rapids and died in 1888.

Nelson Suckow spent the period of his boyhood and youth amid pioneer surrounding and shared with the other members of the household in the hardships and privations which had to be met when they first located in Buena Vista county, for he was a little lad of ten years at the time of the removal of the family from Decorah to this county. From the time he was able to handle a plow he assisted his father in the work of the fields and remained under the parental roof until he had reached the age of twenty-two years. At that age he went to South Dakota and located on a homestead in Beadle county, while in 1880, in the company with Robert Ingersoll and John King, he established the first printing office in Huron, that state, and erected the first building in town. Mr. Suckow speculated in land and also did surveying, while his partners conducted the work in connection with the newspaper. He also took an active part in the building and development of Mitchell, South Dakota, which is today one of the thriving cities of the north. In the fall of 1881 he located a homestead within a half mile of Redfield and in partnership with Rufus Hadley conducted a land office at that place. In February 1885, he disposed of his holdings in Redfield and moved to Fairbanks, where he engaged in the real estate business, but a year later the town, after having a boon, suffered a collapse and Mr. Suckow then abandoned the place and made his way to Rapid City, where he carried on a similar enterprise. He spent several years thereafter in the north in various cities and at one time conducted a hotel in Ortonville, Minnesota, but eventually, on account of the advanced age of his parents, he returned to Buena Vista county and has since operated the old homestead property in Lee township, being numbered today among the substantial agriculturists of the part of Buena Vista county.

Mr. Suckow married April 10, 1885, in Fairbanks, South Dakota, to Miss Lena Olson, a daughter of Ole and Martha (Veride) Olson, natives of Norway, whence the family emigrated to the new world and settled in Buena Vista county in 1877. The father died in Norway in 1883, while the mother passed away in Bristol, South Dakota, in 1895. The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Suckow has been blessed with one daughter, Laura, who on the first of January, 1907, was married to D. C. Haase, and they are now on the farm with her father. About three years ago they adopted a son, Ludwig A. D. Suckow, who is now five years of age.

Mr. Suckow is a stanch republican in his political views and for sixteen years has filled the office of the justice of the peace, while for two years he was treasurer of the township and is now serving as school director. He and his family are members of the Lutheran church. No pioneer of Buena Vista county is more familiar with its early history than is Mr. Suckow. Although he spent some years in the north the period of his boyhood and youth were passed here, and he is familiar with the hardships which confronted the family in the days of the county's early history and he today rejoices in the progress that has been placed upon a par with the older sections of the state. He is highly esteemed in his community and it is therefore with pleasure that we present the record of his life to our readers.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hjarteleg takk til Kurt for innlegget med denne lange og gode biografien for Suckow-ætti.  Denne har eg lese for mange år sidan, og her har eg finne ein god del av dei opplysningane som eg nyttar i manuskriptet mitt, men, som du ser, Christopher Martin er det ingen som veit noko meir om, anna enn at han skulle vera faren til Sør-Afrika...

Det vert nok ikkje noki enkel oppgåve å finna att Christopher Suckow i Sør-Afrika, men kven veit... - ein eller anna stad må han jo vera...?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Et spørsmål litt på sida, men kanskje av interesse: Har denne familien noen forbindelse til «Hardangerviolinist» Christian Suckow som i 1866 fikk en sønn med pike Regine Moe fra Trondheim? Det må være denne fiolinisten som dør i Bergen i 1882, da oppgitt å være født i Hardanger i 1833: http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/kb/gr/hending/hg00000000210083

Sønnen var (Edvard) Martin Rudolf Suckow, f. 22. okt. 1866 på Bakklandet (Trondheim). I ung alder kom han til Vordal mellom i Åsen (Nord-Trøndelag) som fosterbarn. Han var i Vordalen til han utvandret til Amerika i 1891. 

Martin utvandret fra Trondheim til Amerika i april 1891. Han reiste med «Hero» fra Trondheim til England, videre med «Gallia» fra Liverpool til New York. Som reisemål oppgis Stillwater, MN, hvor flere fra Vordals-gårdene hadde slått seg ned. Martin Vordal, som han kalte seg i USA, bosatte seg i Stillwater, og arbeidet i flere år på et «steel plant» i området. 

Han ble gift ca. 1916 med enke Tomine Kirstine Madsen (f. Steffensen), f. 15. feb. 1872 i Jerslev, Hjørring, Danmark; d. 20. sep. 1958. Hun kom til Amerika sammen med fem barn i 1912, og skulle da til Stillwater. Folketellinga 1930 viser at Martin da arbeidet som snekker med eget verksted. Paret bodde da bodde da i 718 Hickory Street i Stillwater, et hus de eide selv. Martin Vordal døde 30. apr. 1944. Han og Tomine hadde ingen felles barn.

Mvh Arne

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Et spørsmål litt på sida, men kanskje av interesse: Har denne familien noen forbindelse til «Hardangerviolinist» Christian Suckow som i 1866 fikk en sønn med pike Regine Moe fra Trondheim? Det må være denne fiolinisten som dør i Bergen i 1882, da oppgitt å være født i Hardanger i 1833: http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/kb/gr/hending/hg00000000210083

Sønnen var (Edvard) Martin Rudolf Suckow, f. 22. okt. 1866 på Bakklandet (Trondheim). I ung alder kom han til Vordal mellom i Åsen (Nord-Trøndelag) som fosterbarn. Han var i Vordalen til han utvandret til Amerika i 1891. 

Martin utvandret fra Trondheim til Amerika i april 1891. Han reiste med «Hero» fra Trondheim til England, videre med «Gallia» fra Liverpool til New York. Som reisemål oppgis Stillwater, MN, hvor flere fra Vordals-gårdene hadde slått seg ned. Martin Vordal, som han kalte seg i USA, bosatte seg i Stillwater, og arbeidet i flere år på et «steel plant» i området. 

Han ble gift ca. 1916 med enke Tomine Kirstine Madsen (f. Steffensen), f. 15. feb. 1872 i Jerslev, Hjørring, Danmark; d. 20. sep. 1958. Hun kom til Amerika sammen med fem barn i 1912, og skulle da til Stillwater. Folketellinga 1930 viser at Martin da arbeidet som snekker med eget verksted. Paret bodde da bodde da i 718 Hickory Street i Stillwater, et hus de eide selv. Martin Vordal døde 30. apr. 1944. Han og Tomine hadde ingen felles barn.

Mvh Arne

Angående fiolinisten:

Døypte i Bakklandet (Bakke) prestegjeld 1866-1877

1212 Bakklandet (Bakke) MINI 604A07 14 25 1867 07.04. 1867 Baklandet   Rolle Stilling Førenamn Etternamn Kjønn Bustad Fødd dato Fødd år Ekte/uekte

Barn   Edvard Martin Rudolf   M   22.10. 1866 U fglass.gif

Far Musikus. Ungk. Christian Suckow   !!      

Mor Pige Regine Dorthea Moe   Petersborg  

http://gda.arkivverket.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=1&filnamn=dp16011866bak&gardpostnr=1212&personpostnr=3635&merk=3635#ovre

Kildeinformasjon: Sør-Trøndelag fylke, Bakklandet (Bakke), Ministerialbok nr. 604A07 (1866-1877), Fødte og døpte menn 1867, side 14.

Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=2348&idx_id=2348&uid=ny&idx_side=-17

Permanent bildelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20050610010731.jpg

Samme mann som er far til denne?

August Frederich Christian Frederichsen

Norway, Baptisms, 1634-1927

christening:
4 February 1855
Bergen, Bergen, Norway
residence:
Bergen, Bergen, Norway
father:
Christian Frederich Suckow
mother:
Anne Marie Johannesen

Døypte i Bergen 1816-1894

27139 14 1855 0402 Domkirken Hans 2det hendes 1ste Leiermaal.   Rolle Stilling Førenamn Etternamn Kjønn Bustad Fødd dato Ekte/uekte

Barn   August Frederich   m   0601 u

Far Ungkrl. og Musicus Christian Frederich Suckow   10-88C    

Mor   Anne Marie Johannesen    

http://gda.arkivverket.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=1&filnamn=dp12011816&gardpostnr=27139&personpostnr=81395&merk=81395#ovre

Kildeinformasjon: Bergen fylke, Domkirken, Ministerialbok nr. B 3 (1851-1859), Fødte og døpte menn 1855, side 70.

Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=8326&idx_id=8326&uid=ny&idx_side=-70

Permanent bildelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20070223670418.jpg

Og dette er kanskje første leiermålet hans?

(Navnet feilaktig skrevet som LUCKOW?)

26837 51 1854 0207 Nykirken   Rolle Stilling Førenamn Etternamn Kjønn Bustad Fødd dato Ekte/uekte

Barn   Frederik Christian   m   1904 u

Far Uk Musiker Christian Luckow   1-74    

Mor   Anne Frederikke Krefting    

http://gda.arkivverket.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=1&filnamn=dp12011816&gardpostnr=26837&personpostnr=80489&merk=80489#ovre

I Ministerialboken står det Christian SUCKOW.

Sønnen August Fredrik  i 1865:

• Tellingsår: 1865
  • Kommune: Bergen
  • Kommunenummer: 1301
  • Gatenavn: 6-62
  • Gatenr:
  • Bydel:
  • Gårdeier: Julius Reinertsen
  • Antall leiligheter: 3

Antall personer registrert på bostedet: 13

(utdrag)

August Fredrik Sucon pleiesøn u   1855 Bergen

http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste.aspx?ft=1865&knr=1301&kenr=0001&bnr=0564&lnr=000

Fiolinisten i 1875:

• Tellingsår: 1875
  • Kommune: Kristiania
  • Kommunenummer: 0301
  • Gatenavn: Pilestredet 7
  • Gatenr:
  • Bydel:
  • Gårdeier:
  • Antall leiligheter: 13

Antall personer registrert på bostedet: 63

(utdrag)

Christian Suchard Logerende ug Violinist 1832 Bergen

http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste.aspx?ft=1875&knr=0301&kenr=018&bnr=1073&lnr=00

Gravlagde i Bergen 1816-1886

1882 2605 2205 Ugift, Violinist Christian Fredrich Suchow Bergens Byes Sindsygeasyl (11-131,136 og 140) 1833 M i Bergen       Overlæge Jyrgens. Skifteattest af 230582   Stiftelsespresten fglass.gif

http://gda.arkivverket.no/cgi-win/WebCens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=1&filnamn=1301begr&gardpostnr=555&merk=555#ovre

Endret av Ann-Mary Engum
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hjarteleg takk til Arne og Ann-Mary for nye interessante innlegg om ætti Suckow.

Eg har ikkje studert opphavet til denne ætti noko meir, men eg ser det som svært sannsynleg at her er skyldskap på eitt eller anna vis.

Eg vil difor attgje innleiingsavsnittet frå manuskriptet mitt om denne huslyden som utvandra til Amerika i 1845:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lars Johan Christopherson Suckow, frå Bergen, var son av kirurg Christopher Ludvig Suckow og kona Bertha f. Bentzon (vigde i Larvik 14.12.1809) og f. i Bergen 28.7.1819.  Lars kom i ung alder som skomakar til Hafslo og gifte seg her 5.7.1842 med Sigrid Iversdotter frå Bø søndre i Vang, Valdres.  Ho var dotter av gardbrukar Iver Nilsson på Bø søndre og andre kona Ragnhild Endresdotter frå Lien i Vang og var f. 9.11.1818.  Lars og Sigrid ser ut til å ha butt ulike stader i bygdi etter dei kom hit, mellom anna i Solvornstrondi, og me har valt å ta dei med under denne heimen.  Dei vart buande i Solvorn fram til 1845.

Lars og Sarah Suckow utvandra til Amerika i 1845 og budde først to år i Muskego, Waukesha Co., Wis. og busette seg so i Laona township, Winnebago Co., Ill. der Lars livnærte seg som skomakar (“shoemaker”).  I 1853 flytte huslyden til ein farm i Springfield township, Winneshiek Co., Ia., og i 1864 tok dei so “homestead” i Lee township, Buena Vista Co., Ia., men medan kona og borni styrte farmen, livnærte Lars seg i hovudsak på ny som skomakar (“shoemaker”) i Sioux Rapids, Buena Vista Co., Ia.  Han d. i Buena Vista Co., Ia. 4.7.1898, medan Sarah Suckow d. same staden 24.5.1907.  Dei fekk i alt fjorten born og fostra dessutan opp ein dotterson:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kanskje ser de ein "link" ein eller annan stad?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Her nevnes skifteattest:

Gravlagde i Bergen 1816-1886

1882 2605 2205 Ugift, Violinist Christian Fredrich Suchow Bergens Byes Sindsygeasyl (11-131,136 og 140) 1833 M i Bergen       Overlæge Jyrgens. Skifteattest af 230582   Stiftelsespresten fglass.gif

http://gda.arkivverket.no/cgi-win/WebCens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=1&filnamn=1301begr&gardpostnr=555&merk=555#ovre

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider