Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Looking for information about Steen Giebelhausen (1879-1941)

Inese Dreimane
 Del

Dear forum members!

My name is Inese Dreimane, and I am a historian of the Museum of Occupation of Latvia. Recently I'm researching the tragic event, that took place in Riga, June 27-29, 1941. In these days 99 civilians were murdered without a trial in Riga Central prison. This crime was comitted by NKVD officials. During my reserach I found out, that Norwegian citizen Steen Giebelhausen (1879-1941), son of Frederic was among those killed.

I would like to know - where and how I can find any information about Steen Giebelhausen? There are his "Wikipedia" page, but information is very limited. From article in "Aftonbladet" (September 9, 1941) I got an information, that he was a wealthy man during the WW1 - ship owner, but lost everything because of Landmand bank crisis. It is still not known, when and why he came to Latvia, but he probably had a business here until 1940.

Also, S. Giebelhausen had a wife and son in Riga. Is it possible to find out - are there any living succesors of his family? I suggest that they left Latvia during the WW2. S. Giebelhausen's name ir mentioned in various resources on internet. Unfortunately, I don't speak Danish, Norwegian or Swedish, so there are problems to understand information, available on internet, correctly.

I will appreciate any kind of information and help. My e-mail: miuma@inbox.lv

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Dear forum members!

My name is Inese Dreimane, and I am a historian of the Museum of Occupation of Latvia. Recently I'm researching the tragic event, that took place in Riga, June 27-29, 1941. In these days 99 civilians were murdered without a trial in Riga Central prison. This crime was comitted by NKVD officials. During my reserach I found out, that Norwegian citizen Steen Giebelhausen (1879-1941), son of Frederic was among those killed.

I would like to know - where and how I can find any information about Steen Giebelhausen? There are his "Wikipedia" page, but information is very limited. From article in "Aftonbladet" (September 9, 1941) I got an information, that he was a wealthy man during the WW1 - ship owner, but lost everything because of Landmand bank crisis. It is still not known, when and why he came to Latvia, but he probably had a business here until 1940.

Also, S. Giebelhausen had a wife and son in Riga. Is it possible to find out - are there any living succesors of his family? I suggest that they left Latvia during the WW2. S. Giebelhausen's name ir mentioned in various resources on internet. Unfortunately, I don't speak Danish, Norwegian or Swedish, so there are problems to understand information, available on internet, correctly.

I will appreciate any kind of information and help. My e-mail: miuma@inbox.lv

According to this book; Syversen, Odd Magnar: Akevitt! Linjer om Løiten, Løiten brænderi 1998, page 114 and 115, Steen Giebelhausen came to Riga apparently in 1912, as a timber merchant. In 1914 he started to import Løiens Akevitt (Norwegian aquavit) to the Baltic states. The timber and the aquavit made him a very wealty man. He owned manors in Denmark, woods in Russia, and cattle and racehorses in Germany.  

His luck ran out in the early 1920's.  

Endret av Lene Benedicte Lauritzen
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

According to an article in the norwegian newspaper Aftenposten (February 4, 1944) the name of Steen Giebelhausens wife was Sinaida Giebelhausen, and their son was named Steen like the father.

In the Danish Census for Odense in 1921, the wife is named Dolly.

http://www.danishfamilysearch.dk/cid13702607

Endret av Sven Hjortland
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

He is assosiated with the firm Aktieselskabet Krontorps Skoge. (Source: Norsk Kundgjørelsestidende 1906.12.08) The firm were to retrieve timber from Visnum in Värmland, Sweden.

He sold life insurances for the insurance company Idun in 1900 (Source: Fredriksstad Tilskuer 1900.01.08)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

According to an article in the norwegian newspaper Aftenposten (February 4, 1944) the name of Steen Giebelhausens wife was Sinaida Giebelhausen, and their son was named Steen like the father.

In the Danish Census for Odense in 1921, the wife is named Dolly.

http://www.danishfamilysearch.dk/cid13702607

Thank You very much for this. I would like to know - is this newspaper digitalised and available on internet? Reading will be helpful to determine - where S. Giebelhausen's family lived at that time - Latvia, Norway or somewhere else?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider