Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Portraits of Hans Andersen Bernhoft (1550-1619) and Anders Hansen Bernhoft (1600-1661) in Oppdal church

Tybring Hemphill
 Del

I wonder if there are any followers of this forum who live near Oppdal church and who would be willing and able to take photographs of two portraits that hang in that church?  I have been able to obtain some low resolution photos from the internet and ones with very bad reflections from flash photography, but would very much like to get good quality, high resolution pictures to help complete my research.  Thank you if you are able to help.  Tybring

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 år senere...

I have tried without success to reach someone at Oppdal church in Trøndelag who might be able to help take high resolution, colour photographs of the portraits mentioned in my first post.  Surprisingly, I cannot find such images anywhere on the internet such as Digitaltmuseum.  I am reposting in the hope that someone with an interest in old portraits, who lives near Oppdal and has a little time to help a Canadian who lives far from Norway, will read this.  I would be very grateful for the help and it would be good for there to be such photos in existence for other researchers as well.  Tusen takk.

Tybring

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I live too far from Oppdal to be able to take the desired photos, but if you don't get a positive reply here in the forum, why not contacting the church warden directly? Maybe he/she can help, or at least recommend someone who is good with a camera? The mail address is post@oppdal.kirken.no

Endret av Inger Eik
  • Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hans Andersen Bernhoft (ca. 1551- ca. 1619) =

1589 cantor and teacher Trondheim; 1590  residerende kapellan Vor Frues kirke, Trondheim;

1616 -ca. 1619 sogneprest  Vor Frues kirke Trondheim, S-TRL.

His son Anders Hansen Benhoft  (ca.1596 - 1666) =

1621-1625 teacher Trondheim Latinskole, Trondheim;

1625 - 1626 residerende kapellan, Støren, S-TRL;

1626 -    sogneprest Holtålen, S-TRL.

His son Hans Andersen Bernhoft (1634 - 1689). Sogneprest Opdal,

married 1660 to Elen Andersdatter Opdal (1637 - 1704/14? København, DK), daughter of Anders Roalsdsen (Blich) Opdal (ca.1596 - 1666). Picture of her in Opdal church?  See under.

Their son Anders Hansen Bernhoft (ca. 1661 - 1695) residerende kapellan Opdal.

Roald Andersen Blich (ca. 1574- c. 1626) =

sogneprest Ytterøen, N-TRL 1599 - ca. 1617.

His son Anders Roaldsen (Blich) Opdal (1606 - 1662) =

1627 residerende kapellan Støren, S-TRL; 1634 - 1662 sogneprest Opdal, S-TRL.

His daughter Elen Andersdatter Opdal was married to Hans Andersen Bernhoft. See above.

Endret av Berit Knudsen
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you for the suggestion, Inger.  I tried to reach both the warden and the minister, but did not receive a reply, unfortunately.  That is why I am trying again on this forum to find someone to help. Thank you, Berit, for the detailed history of the family.  It is amazing how they passed down the same names and occupation over so many generations.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

You asked for portraits of the two oldest Bernhoft hanging in Opdal church.  I do not belive there are any portraits of this two in Opdal church because they never worked in Opdal.

But it should be a picture/painting, of Anders Roaldsen (Blich) Opdal and his wife and children hanging in the church.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Berit,  I agree it is strange that their portraits should be in Oppdal, but it is so.  The portraits were apparently commissioned by descendants after the death of the subjects and so may not be very representative, but they are all we have.  Both were painted by Peter Lillie as you see and hang in Oppdal Church:

https://nbl.snl.no/Peter_Andersen_Lillie

I have attached a summary of a report done by NIKU when they restored the portraits in the 1990s.  Unfortunately they could not supply good quality photographs of the portraits.  Still hoping someone nearby or travelling through may see this post.  Takk.

section of report.docx

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 3 år senere...

Sadly, my planned trip to Oppdal to photograph the portraits was not possible due to Covid.  I am still hopeful, however, that someone living in or near Oppdal, perhaps in Trondheim, may see this post and have a chance to take high resolution pictures of the portraits.  I am sure that there are many descendants of these two, besides me, who would be very grateful.  Thank you.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The books Kirker i Norge, bd. 5, page 263, Oppdal kirke S-Trl.:

Paintings/pictures:

På østveggen i nordre korsarm henger:

Epitaph over parish priest Erik Lauritssøn Blix who died 1633.

A painting from 1654 shows Anders Roaldsen (Blix) Opdal w/fam. (his wife was Blix). Parish priest Opdal 1634 - 1662.

Another picture, Hans Andersen Bernhoft (1634 - 1689). Parish priest Opdal 1665 - 1689.

In addition a portrait of his son and successor

Anders Hansen Bernhoft (ca. 1661-1695). Parish priest Opdal 1689 - 1695.

The two last may have been painted ab. 1685.

There is no pictures of the two oldest: Hans Bernh. ca. 1550 - 1619, parish priest Frue krk. Trondheim 1616 - 1619 and

his son Anders Bernhoft 1600 - 1666, parish priest Haltdalen 1626 - 1666)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider