Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Amerikan behöver hjälp att finna sina rötter...

Monica Fogelqvist
 Del

Hej alla!

Jag har tagit ett DNA-test och fått en positiv match med bland annat en amerikansk kille, som har sina modersrötter i Norge. Dock verkar den forskning han har ärvt efter sin mor vara lite si så där, så han var jätteglad för all den hjälp han kunde få att verifiera och bygga på...

Har försökt att hitta i de böcker som jag TROR det handlar om, men är verkligen usel på att hitta rätt i de norska arkivalierna! Så därför tänkte jag be er rutinerade norska forskare om hjälp!

Den person som jag fattar det som är 100% säker, är Marta Maline Johansdotter Grue?, född 1844 i Kristiansand stift, gift med Sjur Davidsson Kvalö?. Dessa två emigrerade till USA. Marta Malines föräldrar skulle ha varit Johan Visness, f.ca 1815 och Anna Maline Larsson?, f.ca 1816-d.1854. Jag klistrar helt enkelt in all den information han sände till mej och hoppas, hoppas att någon duktig forskare vet något om personerna!

What I have is from a booklet put together in 1974 with an update in 1984, by a member of the Kvale family (Anna Malina's daughter Martha married Sjur Davidson Kvale).

Here is the information on Anna Malina in the booklet. The booklet does not provide information on the sources for the information, so where this came from is unclear: (note, there are spelling or grammatical errors I have not corrected here)

Anna Maline Larson 1816-1854 married about 1940 Johannas Visness 1815-date of death unknown.
daughter, Martha Maline Johannesdottar April 11, 1844-Dec.15, 1930, plus 2 other girls, 2 boys, 1 boy died young.

"We have been unable to locate the home of Martha (daughter of Anna Maline). We know that she came from Kristiansandstift which is a large geographical area and unil wil are able to locate her home parrish we canonly speculate. We do know that her grandparents owned a large farm and that copper was discovered on the farm and developed by a French company. This resulted in her grandparents becoming quite wealthy for the times. Her father was Johan Visness who was the son of a farmer with a large farm. Her mother, Anna Maline Larson died when Martha was about 10-11 years old and it fell to her as the oldest to raise the other three children. this she did until she was married to Sjur. Kari remembered traveling with her mother and a couple of the smaller children by boat to say goodbye to the grandmother just before leaving for America. Allthough the grandmother was well to do she made no effort to help Martha financially on her forthcoming trip...Sjur and Martha came away with nothing from their families.

We know very little about the Visness side of the family. Johannas's father was known to have owned a large farm. We do not know if Johannas was the oldest son and inherited the farm or what his status was. Abou all that we are certain of is the fact that Anna Maline, Marthas mother died at the age of forty and Martha being the oldest, inherited the task of raising the other children. Martha was about ten years old at this time...We do know that the Visness family lived in the Kristiansandstift area of southern Norway.

Anna Maline Larson was born also in Kristiansandstift, Norway about 1816. All that is known of her is that she has three sisters and two brothers. Her father owned a large farm and that Copper was discovered on the farm. This was taken over by a French company and we do not know if the family kept the farm or not. It did have the effect of making the Larsons quite well off financialy. At the age of about 24 she married Johannas Visness and they had five children She died at the age of 38 and left the children to the oldest daughter Martha. It is assumed that she kep house for her father until the time of her marriage to Sjur, who she met while he was doing some work for the mines. We do not know what prompted Sjur to wander so far south as travel in those days was something to be given much thought, but about this time Norway was undergoing a great economic awakening following the separation from Denmark, and maybe this is where Stone Masons were needed."

In the 1984 addition:

"...Sjur and his brothers and sisters were all confirmed as Kvaoles. Sometime later the family moved to another farm and this the name became Torblao. This name then became Sjurs name and we find that he left Ulvik on the morning of September 16, 1967 and on October 9, 1867 he was married to Marta Malena Johansdtr. Grue in Stavanger. Sometime after the marriage they returned to Ulvik and lived in a second house on the Kvaole "Gaar".

We find that Martha was named Grue at the time of their marriage. This came as a surprise. Suppose that when she moved to Stavanger with her family they were on a farm of that name. maybe that is where the grandparents went after they sold the land with the copper mines."

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Her er dåpen til Marte Maline i 1844 (nr. 51):

SAST, Avaldsnes sokneprestkontor, H/Ha/Haa/L0006: Ministerialbok nr. A 6, 1839-1847, s. 78
Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://media.digitalarkivet.no/kb20051108030572

Marte Malines foreldre vart gifte i 1837 (nr. 7):

SAST, Avaldsnes sokneprestkontor, H/Ha/Haa/L0005: Ministerialbok nr. A 5.1, 1825-1841, s. 277
Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://media.digitalarkivet.no/kb20051108030298

Wikipedia-artikkel om Vigsnes Kobbergruve: https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visnes

Endret av Inge Nygård
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Tack snälla, snälla Inge! Redan funnit ett fel! Marta Malines mor hette inte Larsdotter utan Samsonsdotter! Men hör Avaldsnes i Rogaland till Kristiansands stift? Undrar varför han hade den uppgiften? Och varför skiljer det så mycket på födelseåren på Marta Malines föräldrar?

Nåväl, Marta Malenas far hade ett bra namn, så kanske det går att hitta lite mer om familjen! Det är ju som sagt den raka kvinnolinjen som är det mest intressanta här-även om Nick kommer att bli jätteglad för dessa uppgifter!

Ska se om jag klarar av att följa modern bakåt! Är inte så duktig på norska orter och namn märker jag...

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Precis! Jag hittade just en hemsida med familjen, men det stämmer inte då där tas upp en Malena som gifter sig med en Kristian Tomasson. Så någonstans är det fel...

Nåväl, tusen tack för din hjälp. Inser att det inte går att "snabbforska" på detta! 

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Det står det samme på siden du la inn fra kirkeboka: Foreldre Jacob Sund og Mallena, så jeg antar at Ancestry har riktige opplysninger. Men er det andre ting du lurer på, så må du bare spørre videre  :)

Suck. Jaha, då har jag redan fastnat-kom inte längre än till Marta Malena Jakobsdotters födelse 1779...https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/8623/70

Står det att hon var från Sund? Finns det någon motsvarighet till de svenska husförhörslängderna där man kan se hela familjen? Var ska jag leta i så fall?

Ingen motsvarighet til husförhörslengderna, dessverre.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Fantastiskt Lars Johannessen! Vilken julklapp! Nick är alldeles överlycklig, och den här uppgiften om boken var verkligen pricken över i! Tusen tusen tack! 

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider