Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Jonas Liwyn/Levin

Tybring Hemphill
 Del

I am hoping to learn more about Jonas Liwyn/Levin.  He is my great (x7) grandfather and was apparently a businessman in Christiania/Oslo.  Although i have not been able to fins any original records concerning this man, he presumably would have been born in the 1660s or 1670s.  His youngest child is supposed to have been born in 1710, so presumably he died thereafter.  He apparently married Berthe Isaksdatter Cold, daughter of Isak Andersson Cold, Sogneprest in Romedal.  Jonas is the father of Mette Kristine Loy Jonasdatter Liwyn (1706 or 1712-1773), who married the Royal weights and measures official Abraham Preus (ca.1691-1765).  There is some information about the Liwyn family in the book about the Breder/Preus/Arctander families, but I have been unable to find for example record of the marriage or death of Jonas, nor his "skifte".  It is suggested in that book that his daughter Mette was "baptised" as a jew, but I have no idea if this is accurate or imagined.  It would also help if I could find record of the death or skifte of Jonas' wife, Berthe.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Isach Lewyn was married on 30 January 1736 - spouse: Catharina Holter:

Oslo county, Oslo Domkirke / Vår Frelsers in Oslo, Parish register (official) no. 3 (1731-1743), Engaged 1736, Married 1736, Page 14
Permanent image ID: kb20061004030427

In the book "Linderud og Slægterne Mogensen og Mathiesen" I have found that Jonas Liwyn was born 1663 in Falun, Sweden, and died on 27 May 1718, and was married on 21 April 1702 to Birgitta Cold.

Endret av Grethe Flood
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

In Oscar Mendelsohns book about the history of the Jews in Norway 1660-1940 I have found that Isach, son of Jonas and Birgitte, was baptized on 12 July 1703 in Christiania - cf.: 

Oslo fylke, Oslo Domkirke / Vår Frelsers i Oslo, Ministerialbok nr. 1 (1648-1704), Fødte og døpte 1703, Side 394-395
Permanent bilde-ID: kb20060217020426

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Christine, 5 March 1705:

Oslo county, Oslo Domkirke / Vår Frelsers in Oslo, Parish register (official) no. 2 (1705-1730), Born and baptised 1705, Page 112
Permanent image ID: kb20061004030150

On 16 October 1706 there also was a baptism - no name: 

Oslo county, Oslo Domkirke / Vår Frelsers in Oslo, Parish register (official) no. 2 (1705-1730), Born and baptised 1706, Page 123
Permanent image ID: kb20061004030161

Hans Jørgen, 10 February 1710:

Oslo county, Oslo Domkirke / Vår Frelsers in Oslo, Parish register (official) no. 2 (1705-1730), Born and baptised 1710, Page 145
Permanent image ID: kb20061004030183

Two Jonas Lewin's children died and was buried i 1710 - see 29 September and 11 November:

Oslo county, Oslo Domkirke / Vår Frelsers in Oslo, Parish register (official) no. 2 (1705-1730), Deceased and buried 1711, Page 235
Permanent image ID: kb20061004030277

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you so much for your replies, Grethe.  How interesting that you have found that Jonas was born in Sweden.  I would never have guessed.  I have found it suggested that Mette Kristina Loy Liwyn was baptised on Oct. 16, 1706 - the date of one of the baptisms that you provided a link to.  However, I have also seen it said that she was baptised on May 12, 1712.  but I cannot find any record for that date in the Ministerialbok of the Domkirke.  When she dies in 1773, it is recorded that she was either 61 which would mean born in 1712 or 67, which would mean born in 1706, but I cannot read the old script well enough to be sure

Church books: SAO, Oslo Cathedral Parish Registers, F / Fa / L0004: Ministerialbok no. 4, 1743-1786, pp. 570-571 - scan archives - Archives

I was unable to find the marriage of Jonas and Berthe/Birgitha that was supposed to have occurred in 1702 and wonder where that detail might have come from.

I think there were significant restriction imposed by the government to prevent the immigration of jewish people around the time in question so it is interesting to wonder what brought Jonas Liwyn to Christiania.  In any event he seems to have been successful and before long several of his grandchildren were Lutheran ministers.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The record to which you provided a link, definitely states that Mette Kristina died at the age of 61. In my opinion. What «gives it away» is the dot above the last number. 

Regards

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you for the opinion Even.  Of course this creates more mystery, rather than less as i cannot find Mette Kristine Liwyn baptised in 1712.  Are there any other Church records from that time that one could look at?

I have spent the evening looking for the skifte of Jonas Liwyn, but without any success.  Although the records for the perioed covering 1718 are not indexed, still I looked at a lot of skifte and could not find anything for Jonas.  Any suggestions anybody?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider