Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Please Help Me Find Missing Child!

Tyler Burrows
 Del

This forum has already been so incredible at helping me identify some ancestors (linked below). Thank you!

One of my ancestors had three children, but I have only been able to identify two. Please help me find the third! Here are the details:

• Mother Anna Olsdatter, b. 30 Jun 1831 at Bjertnes eie, Nittedal, Akershus to Ole Torstensen and Anne Marie Jahnsdatter.
  • Moved out of Nittedal to Oslo. I have been unable to translate these records. She either moved out in 1866 or moved out "12 years" before 1866? Please help me translate what is written on the far left column. All I can get is "12 years"
  • Married Johan Olsen Enger 19 May 1866 in Trefoldighet, Oslo. This is the same Johan Olsen Enger mentioned in the post linked below.
  • Johan died in 1873. Anna and her two children, Albert and Karl emigrated to the United States on 30 Jun 1875 aboard the "Idaho."

According to the 1900 and 1910 US Census, Anna had 3 children but only 2 were alive. I have only been able to find 2. According to family tradition, the third child was named "Alvihda Marie" born 17 Jul 1864 at "Oleson Jno, Akrchs, Norway" (I don't know what those abbreviations are meant to represent, aside from Akershus; It is likely that it is recorded wrong), however there are no sources to verify this. Tradition also said Alvihda died in 1865. If that was accurate, than Alivihda was born before she married Johan, so he might not even be the father. Although, as I said, that year may not be accurate.

Please help me determine when Anna moved out of Nittedal so I can focus my efforts on searching the baptism records in the right parish at the right time.

Thank you!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

"Moved out of Nittedal to Oslo. I have been unable to translate these records. She either moved out in 1866 or moved out "12 years" before 1866? Please help me translate what is written on the far left column. All I can get is "12 years" "

Hi!

The far left columns says "for omtrent 12 aar siden", translating to "about 12 years ago".

Mvh Bente

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Ole Jahnsen, b. 1820 in Skedsmo, Akershus, Johan Olsen Enger's father, had a brother named Fredrik Martin b. 1826: (no 2):

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/754/82

Fredrik Martin Jahnsen's daugther, Marie Alvilde, b. 12.07.1864 in Østre Aker, Akershus. (No 109)

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/579/190

According to your familytradition, your Alvilde Marie died before 1865. 

So these Marie Alvilde can not be the missing child.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

15 timer siden, Tyler skrev:

According to family tradition, the third child was named "Alvihda Marie" born 17 Jul 1864 at "Oleson Jno, Akrchs, Norway" (I don't know what those abbreviations are meant to represent, aside from Akershus; It is likely that it is recorded wrong), however there are no sources to verify this.

Hi Tyler,

Is the info on the missing child born 17 Jul 1864 just a family tradition, brought forward from one generation to the next, or do you have some sort of hard fact like a written record ? If so, it would be of interest to potential helpers to see it. Even though Alvihda Marie seems to have been born in the county of Akershus, she could very well have been christened elsewhere. My experience is that various ways of interpreting a text often lead to new clues on where to look, thus limiting the geographical region in which to do a detailed search.

Kjell H.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

40 minutes ago, Kjell Halvorsen said:

Hi Tyler,

Is the info on the missing child born 17 Jul 1864 just a family tradition, brought forward from one generation to the next, or do you have some sort of hard fact like a written record ? If so, it would be of interest to potential helpers to see it. Even though Alvihda Marie seems to have been born in the county of Akershus, she could very well have been christened elsewhere. My experience is that various ways of interpreting a text often lead to new clues on where to look, thus limiting the geographical region in which to do a detailed search.

Kjell H.

Kjell, thank you for your question. When I say family tradition, I mean that some person submitted the name at some point in the past, but provided no evidence. I've found that these types of "genealogies" can be very inconsistent. I have uploaded the relevant submissions. You can see that the two submissions don't even agree with each other.

Alvihda Maria ENGAR.pdf

Alvilda Marie Engar.pdf

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

9 hours ago, Bente L. Skjager said:

"Moved out of Nittedal to Oslo. I have been unable to translate these records. She either moved out in 1866 or moved out "12 years" before 1866? Please help me translate what is written on the far left column. All I can get is "12 years" "

Hi!

The far left columns says "for omtrent 12 aar siden", translating to "about 12 years ago".

Mvh Bente

Thank you so much! You don't know how many hours I spent trying to figure this out.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

2 hours ago, Randi Elisabeth Haugros said:

Ole Jahnsen, b. 1820 in Skedsmo, Akershus, Johan Olsen Enger's father, had a brother named Fredrik Martin b. 1826: (no 2):

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/754/82

Fredrik Martin Jahnsen's daugther, Marie Alvilde, b. 12.07.1864 in Østre Aker, Akershus. (No 109)

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/579/190

According to your familytradition, your Alvilde Marie died before 1865. 

So these Marie Alvilde can not be the missing child.

Fredrik is a brother I did not know about, thank you!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

An update...

I came across a record that should be the most accurate. From 1918 by Albert Oluf Enger:

Alvida Marie

Born: 17 Jul 1866 ; Kristiania, Norway

Died: 1867

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

På 27.2.2017 den 19.38, Tyler skrev:

I have uploaded the relevant submissions. You can see that the two submissions don't even agree with each other.

I agree that the two uploaded pdfs are somewhat inconsistent - the second of the two rather than the first, seem to be in most agreement with your latest input i.e. from Albert Oluf Enger of 1918.

It took a bit longer than ordinary for Johan Olsen Enger and his wife to go to church after the birth of their children to get Albert Oluf and Karl Johan christened. With this in mind, I've checked all parishes for Oslo/Christiania from primo 1866 thru July 1867 for a christening record of one Alvida Marie born 17 Jul 1866, without finding one. Even if I don't think so, I may have overlooked her. The parishes in mention being Grønland, Gamle Aker, Garnisonsmenigheten, Oslo Domkirke/Vor Frelser, Rikshospitalet, Trefoldighet and also from Akershus County: Aker, Østre Aker and Vestre Aker. Checking dead/buried from Grønland church 1867 also was unsuccessful. Seems like a tough nut to crack !

Follow-up: 

I repeated the exercise for the parishes mentioned above to also include dates from medio 1864 thru medio 1866, still without a trace of Alvida Marie - sorry to say.

Endret av Kjell Halvorsen
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider