Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Assistance needed. Trying to find records for ancestor

Ilse baecke
 Del

Good afternoon. Hope someone can assist or guide me in the right direction. I am busy with our family tree but am stuck. Great grand father of my ex (so great great grandfather of my kids) was born in Norway. He came to South Africa in late 1800's. His name was Charles August Enerson, but this may have been adjusted when he arrived in South Africa to make it easier. He was born on 30 November 1873. But that is all we know. What would be the best way to try find out where he was born, who his parents were? He got married in South Africa to an english lady with the surname Hill. Any advice, tips will be really appreciated.

Kind regards

Ilse Baecke

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

According to this familyinformation on geni.com,he might have been born in Oslo (however Oslo has been used as a place of birth even if the subject was actually born elsewhere in Norway).

Charles August Enerson icn_world.gif?1374076986

Kjønn: Mann
Født: 30. november 1873 
Oslo, Oslo, Oslo, Norway
Død: 18. februar 1940 (66) 
Johannesburg, City of Johannesburg Metropolitan Municipality, Gauteng, South Africa
Nærmeste familie:

Ektemann til Katherine Mary-Ann Enerson 
Far til George Charles Enerson; Marion Eleanor Steavenson; Etla Mary Whitehead; Alice Enerson; Lilian Portuous og 2 andre 

Lagt til av: candice preston 31. januar 2016
Administrert av: candice preston
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

From a query at ancestry message board back in 2002 (which did not receive any replies):

I am looking for anyone who knows of my grandfather Charles August Enerson
He married a Mary Hill we believe in the UK and then travelled to South Africa in about 1899.

Sisters were Etla and Sophia Enerson

My mother is the last surviving child of this marriage.

Thanks Neil S. Stephenson

Some more from the ancestry message boards, this in 2013.

Hi there,
Thanks for the reply - what we have is the following:

His daughter's name was Etla Mary Enerson, and she was married to John Reginald Whitehead. She was born between 1905 and 1914, probably 1907. So we speculate that he must have come from Norway in the late 1800's as he was 16 when he came to South Africa. Other spellings the family thinks might have been: Ennerson, Enersson, Innersan, Innersen - but he might not even have changed his name. We are quite lost as where to look - as the family does not know much either.
I beleive we are tracing the same family tree. My Great Grand Father was a Mr Charles August Enerson from Norway who married Catherine Mary Hill in the UK before coming to South Africa. I know he owned a farm in East London on the East Coast in South Africa called "Horse Shoe Valley Farm". My GP was George Charles Enerson (born 1896) who had two sisters, Etla and Sophia. I am still trying to trace him back to Norway.
If he was born in Norway, he could have been baptized Karl August or Carl August. His "surname" may have been identical to his father's, OR he could have been the son of Ener/Einar/Einer, etc. An approximate (or exact) year of birth would be very helpful!

Endret av Hans Gangstø
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thanks. Yes it is very difficult. Also as his name was probably not Charles when he was born. Shiprecords are also not much help as from what we learned he came to south africa as a stowaway. My current partner, who is actually norwegian too, said most likely his first name would have been Carl or Karl. We are coming to Oslo again in June, would it be worthwhile to visit the archives?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hopefully someone might have a breakthrough on this subject this time.

There are some incredibly capable researchers monitoring this forum.

Regards

Hans Gangstø

Endret av Hans Gangstø
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

That Carl is Karl Ludvig Einarsen Solbergplads, born 29th August 1873, bottom of page:

Østfold fylke, Onsøy i Onsøy, Ministerialbok nr. I 4 (1861-1877), Fødte og døpte 1873, Side 229
Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://media.digitalarkivet.no/kb20060928040062

I don´t think it is him, but you´ll never know ...

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I now see there is a 'cross' signifying still born child at Karl Ludvig's name, but he is still in the 1975 census. ??

Endret av Kurt Østbye
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The name "Etla" does not sound familiar to me. I am wondering what her real Norwegian name could have been.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

3 minutter siden, Kurt Østbye skrev:

No, he appears in the 1875 census !!

Yes, of course. It is probably too late in the evening ...

Endret av Torbjørn Igelkjøn
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

City Directory in South Africa:

Name:C.A Enerson

Directory Year:1906

Directory Place:Eastern Cape, South Africa

Street address:31 St. Peter's Road; East London

Notes:Residents East + West

Source Repository:National Library & National Archives

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Possibly your man in the Boer war.

Name:Charles Enerson

Campaign or Service:South Africa - Second Boer War

Service Date:1899-1902

Service Location:South Africa

Regiment or Unit Name:Indwe Town Guard

Regimental Number:7

Charles Enerson.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Just had a quick chat with niece in south africa. He was definitely born in 1873 but 30 nov may also be the christening date. He also had 2 sisters that she knows, but there may also be more sisters/brothers. The record from the boer war is definitely him though. So already that is something more we know now. 

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

In addition to the Boer war document, you (most likely) also have his residence address in 1906, and I believe you have some documentation on his death. Armed with this info, resourceful people (authorities, genealogy societies, etc) in South Africa should be able to find him in population censuses and equivalent statistics.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hei Kurt.  Yes for his life in South Africa we have everything. But we are stuck with where he came from. His parents, their parents etc. How he came to south africa. Where in norway did he live. 

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Do you have a copy of his death certificate ?

I have tracked a couple of Norwegian emigrants to South Africa, through this website: http://www.ancestor.co.za/search_beta.asp , and obtained copies of their deathcertificates.

In several cases the deathcertificate has contained more detailed information about the ancestors place of birth and in some cases also name of parents.

Here is  a list of enerson names from the database:

1 ELIZABETH KATHARINA ENERSON DIAMOND THOMAS STANLEY   1945
2 KATHARINE MARY ANN ENERSON HILL CHARLES AUGUST   1961
3 THOMAS STANLEY ENERSON   ARENDJE   1972
4 GEORGE CHARLES ENERSON   EMILY ELIZABETH PEARCE 1976

Charles August Enerson is not listed there, but his wife is there.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Ilse, if we are to find his origin, it would be useful to see what you have, such as death certificate, and any South Africa data containing his name and personal data, info on siblings, etc. 

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Enclosing data from children baptized and married

Etta Mary b. ca 1904, married John Reginald Whitehead 2 June 1923 - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KDCT-KBN

Name    John Reginald Whitehead
Event Type    Marriage
Event Date    02 Jun 1923
Event Place    Vryheid, Natal, South Africa
Gender    Male
Age    23
Birth Year (Estimated)    1900
Spouse's Name    Etta Mary Enerson
Spouse's Gender    Female
Spouse's Age    19
Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated)    1904

Hulda Winifrid b. 6. June 1905 - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KYJZ-JGP

South Africa, Church of the Province of South Africa, Parish Registers
Name    Hulda Winifrid
Event Type    Baptism
Event Date    02 Jul 1905
Event Place    Cape of Good Hope, South Africa
Parent Name    Charlie August Emerson
Parent 2 Name    Katharine Mary Ann Emerson
Page    24

1905_HWE.jpeg

Hulda Winifrid died 10 March 1906 - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2QM-D9B6

South Africa, Cape Province, Civil Deaths
Name    Hulda Winifred Emerson
Event Type    Death
Event Date    10 Mar 1906
Event Place    East London, Cape Province, South Africa
Residence Place    Clifton Cambridge District East London
Gender    Female
Age    0
Birth Year (Estimated)    1906

Endret av Egil Johannessen
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Enclosing data from children baptized and married cont'd

Twins, Alice and Lillian b. 19 October 1908 - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KYJZ-WKV - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KYJZ-WKL

Name    Alice Emerson
Event Type    Baptism
Event Date    20 Dec 1908
Parent Name    Charles August Emerson
Parent 2 Name    Katharine Mary Anne Emerson
Page    77
Entry Number    311

Name    Lilian Emerson
Event Type    Baptism
Event Date    20 Dec 1908
Parent 2 Name    Katharine Mary Anne Emerson
Page    77
Entry Number    312

1908_AE_LE.jpeg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Enclosing data from children baptized and married cont'd

Sophia Jane b. 23 September 1910 - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVS4-CPCF

Name    Sophia Jane
Event Type    Baptism
Event Date    10 Jan 1911
Event Place    Transvaal, South Africa
Parent 2 Name    Katherine Mary Anne Emerson
Page    57
Entry Number    225

1910_SJE.jpeg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider