Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Assistance needed. Trying to find records for ancestor

Ilse baecke
 Del

I contacted an Ancestry user who has a private family tree on Carl August Enerson, and received the following answer:

Hi
He is my great grandfather, but I unfortunately don't have much information.
This is what I know:
- he was born 30 nov 1873 in Oslo, Norway
- he married Katharine Mary Ann Hill on 6 September 1899 in East London, South Africa
- he died on 18 feb 1940 in Johannesburg, South Africa
- I think he had 10 children, my grandmother Lilian was one of them.
- I gather he was a bit of an explorer, looking for diamonds and travelled quite a bit
- it seems he faught in the Boer war.

If you do find other information it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Sam (Samantha Cliffe)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi all 

the following is what i have:

1.  Birthdate is definitely in 1873 in Norway, but exact date is not known, 30.11.1873 could also be christening date

2.  He died 18 February 1940, in Johannesburg South Africa and is buried there too in Brixton Cemetery

3.  He was a cabinet maker

4.  He had the following children:     George Charles Enerson - who was a GP [general practitioner]

Marian Eleanor Steavenson - born in 1917

Etla Mary Whitehead [great great grandmother of my kids] - born 1903

Alice Enerson

Lilian Portuous

Sophie Hogendyk

Decima Enerson

5.  His oldest son George Charles Enerson was born in the UK, and his surname was only changed to Enerson after Charles August married Katherine Hill

6.  Married Katherine Mary Hill in 1899 in East London South Africa

7.  He served in the 2nd Boer War in South Africa

What I am desperately trying to figure out is where in Norway was he born, who were his parents, how did he come to South Africa, was it via England?? The story in the family goes that he came to south africa illegally as a stowaway on a ship, but that would mean he met his wife only in South Africa, or possible onboard of the ship and that the eldest son then may not be his??

The name Charles is as far as I know not very Norwegian, my guess is, as suggested in replies to my post, is that it could have been Carl or Karl.  But even the surname could have been changed qua spelling when he came to South Africa, possible surnames I found could be:  Enersen, Einarrsen, Einarrson, Emerson, Anersen, Anerson?

I really appreciate all the help :)  we have been stuck for a good 15 years trying to figure it out and unfortunately nobody in the family knows any more or has any more info.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Katharine Mary Anne Hill was 21 when she married Charles August Enerson i 1899, have you tracked her and her son George Charles from UK?

Could this be George Charles b. 1896?

The England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
Name:    George Charles Hill
Baptism Date:    18 Nov 1896
Baptism Place:    St. Marys, Watford, Hertford, England
Mother:    Katharine Mary Ann Hill
FHL Film Number:    1537915

The England & Wales, Civil Registration Birth Index, 1837-1915
Registration Year:    1896
Registration Quarter:    Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration district:    Watford
Parishes for this Registration District:    View Ecclesiastical Parishes associated with this Registration District
Inferred County:    Hertfordshire
Volume:    3a
Page:    627

Order a Birth Certificate for George Charles Hill

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

6 minutter siden, Egil Johannessen skrev:

Katharine Mary Anne Hill was 21 when she married Charles August Enerson i 1899, have you tracked her and her son George Charles from UK?

Could this be George Charles b. 1896?

The England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
Baptism Date:    18 Nov 1896
Baptism Place:    St. Marys, Watford, Hertford, England
Mother:    Katharine Mary Ann Hill
FHL Film Number:    1537915

The England & Wales, Civil Registration Birth Index, 1837-1915
Registration Year:    1896
Registration Quarter:    Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration district:    Watford
Parishes for this Registration District:    View Ecclesiastical Parishes associated with this Registration District
Inferred County:    Hertfordshire
Volume:    3a
Page:    627

Order a Birth Certificate for George Charles Hill

Might be an idea to order a birthcertificate for George Charles Hill, to establish who is recorded as his father ( if it is recorded).

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

8 timer siden, Hans Gangstø skrev:

Might be an idea to order a birthcertificate for George Charles Hill, to establish who is recorded as his father

Exactly my point, hence the enclosing of the order form!

Endret av Egil Johannessen
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 4 år senere...

Hello,

My name is Mark Momogos, I am the son of Charmaine Ruth Enerson and the grandson of George Charles Enerson(Hill). I am seeking some sort of proof of his name change.And was George the biological son of Enerson who than later married his mother? I have his birth certificate, no fathers name is stated.

Thank you

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

På 19.3.2017 den 16.05, Kurt Østbye skrev:

I contacted an Ancestry user who has a private family tree on Carl August Enerson, and received the following answer:

Hi
He is my great grandfather, but I unfortunately don't have much information.
This is what I know:
- he was born 30 nov 1873 in Oslo, Norway
- he married Katharine Mary Ann Hill on 6 September 1899 in East London, South Africa
- he died on 18 feb 1940 in Johannesburg, South Africa
- I think he had 10 children, my grandmother Lilian was one of them.
- I gather he was a bit of an explorer, looking for diamonds and travelled quite a bit
- it seems he faught in the Boer war.

If you do find other information it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Sam (Samantha Cliffe)

Doesn't this say he was married in South Africa in 1899 in a place called East London? (A google search reveales that there IS such a place...)

Endret av tom askerøi
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 år senere...

I finally managed to get a death notice and death certificate of Charles August Enerson - just need to make the death certificate a bit smaller as file is too big to attach.'

Charles August Enerson death notice.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Based on the previous commentaries, it sounds like George Charles Enerson may not have been the son of Charles August Enerson, rather from Mary Ann Hill before the marriage, although he could obviously still have been the biological father if Charles august and Mary Ann actually met before South Africa and George Charles was born. Since there does not appear to be a name on George Charles' birth-certificate, an idea would be to do a DNA test, maybe from both branches of the family. This should confirm whether George Charles have any Norwegian relatives, as presumably the other branches of the family would have.

Aside from research in the archives, a DNA test should also help to sort out both George Charles and Charles August's ancestry.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Here is the baptism record of Carl August, born Nov 8 1873 and baptized 30 Nov 1873 in Gamle Aker, Oslo. He was the son of Thorer Andersen and Karen Mathea Thomassen. https://www.digitalarkivet.no/view/255/pd00000033619222

There is obviously not yet enough evidence to suggest that this is the right person, but his first name fits, the date could be his baptism, and the name Enersen could be a corruption of Andersen, although I would have thought it would have been more likely to become Anderson instead.

EDIT: Never mind, this is a dead end. Carl August Schjerven, born Nov 8 1873, lived in Norway in 1902 when he got married. https://www.digitalarkivet.no/view/327/pv00000004808055

Endret av Per.H.Skaug
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hei @Renathe-Johanne Wågenes - Arkivverket her bør du gå inn og påpeke at alle brukere og i dette tilfelle  @Krii som skal ha både for og etternavn med i visningsnavnet sitt . Samt legge ut lenke / lenker til bruksanvisning for hvordan man forandrer visningsnavnet til et fullt og gyldig visningsnavn  

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

@Krii this sounds like an interesting candidate, as he was in training to become a "bødker" (a cooper). You can easily imagine that a Cooper could become a carpenter or a cabinet maker. https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/52721/169604

However, it is possible that this birth-date of 1873 in the 1891 census is incorrect. The same couple had a son called Karl Oskar born in 1879 who is baptized in 1880 https://www.digitalarkivet.no/view/255/pd00000004876567

It is of course possible that they could have another son Karl (August?) born in 1873, but I could not find anyone else born in Ski from those same parents with a similar name.

Endret av Per.H.Skaug
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

På 28.12.2023 den 13.26, Bjørn Andreas Johansønn Løkken skrev:

Hei @Renathe-Johanne Wågenes - Arkivverket her bør du gå inn og påpeke at alle brukere og i dette tilfelle  @Krii som skal ha både for og etternavn med i visningsnavnet sitt . Samt legge ut lenke / lenker til bruksanvisning for hvordan man forandrer visningsnavnet til et fullt og gyldig visningsnavn  

Vedkommende har nå fått beskjed via direkte melding. 

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider