Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Ancestry Help.

Richard Lervold
 Del

My Grandfather’s name was Nils Johnsen Lervold, (1858-11/13/1929) born in Sundals Parish.  Census 1865 for Leervold farm in Næsset, Møre and Romsdal.  Immigrated to America 04/21/1882.

He died in Seattle Washington, USA.

Nils Johnsen Lervold wife’s name was Laura Elisabeth (Knudsen) Lervold (1862-8/2/1932) and I believe she was born in Bolsø, and she immigrated from Bergen 23rd of May 1889.  She died in Seattle Washington, USA.  Her mother’s name was Laura E. Knudsen and her father’s name was Knute Knudsen.

My Great Grandfather’s name was John Nilsen, born c1832 in Sundals Parish.

His wife’s name was Anne Bjornsdatter (Bjornson), born c1826 in Lasje Parish.

Great Great Grandfather’s name: Nils Larsen, born c1803 in Sundals Parish.

His wife’s name was Anne Andersdatter, born c1799 Sundals Parish.

I am seeking your help in expanding my family tree starting with Nils Larsen and Anne Andersdatter.

Any help anyone may provide would be extremely appreciated.

Thank you.

Takk skal du ha.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Richard,

The 1801 census for Sunndal shows two Anne Andersdtr who could be your ancestor:

https://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/en-gb/ft/person/pf01058429000099

https://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/en-gb/ft/person/pf01058429001976

Do you know the farm name where she lived? It may help you work out which one is correct.

It also looks like Sunndal parish records have been transcribed into the IGI and are searchable at familysearch.org with the following batch numbers:

Sunndal 
LDS Details
Hof, Romfo and Jordal. Included Øksendal parish until 1853.  Microfilmed 1753-1931
LDS Films
Birth / Christenings
1752-1819     C422111
1832-1846     C422111
1847-1875     C422112
1876-1877     C422113
Marriages
1752-1819     M422111
1832-1846     M422111
1847-1877     M422112 

In there we find only one Nils Larsen born in 1803:

Name     Niels Larsen   
 Gender     Male   
 Christening Date     21 Aug 1803   
 Christening Place     , SUNNDAL, MORE OG ROMSDAL, NORWAY   
 Father's Name    Lars Olsen    
 Mother's Name    Elen Johanna Bonsach  

I would strongly urge you to find these records on the Scanned Church books

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/kb/browse?counties[]=15&clerical_parishes[]=1563P&start_year=&end_year=&text

it can be time consuming but very useful in your research.

Hope this gives you a place to start from

Regards,

Chris

(Adelaide, Australia)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I just received the following that was hiding in my computer from

With kind  regards

Lars Tingelstad

Reference Desk

The National Library of Norway

Nils Larsson Åker, f. 1803 d. 13/2 1881, kjøpte bruket av Tørri

Knutsdotter og fekk skøyte 20/10 1858 for 600 spd. og kår til selja

ren. Kjøpesummen vart ordna slik at Nils Larsson overtok pante

gjelda på eigedomen til "Opplysningsvesenets Fond" på 400 spd., og

200 spd. betalte han kontant. Han var gift 1833 med Anne

Andersdotter Gikling, f. 1799 d. 6/11 1873. Born:

1. Anders, f. 30/1 1829. Mor: Gjøri Hansdotter Vinjevoll. Ho opp

heldt seg på ein plass under garden.

2. Jon, f. 15/9 1830. Gift 1. gong med Anne Bjørnsdotter, f. 1825 i

Lesja. Born: a) Randi, f. 1854. b)Marit, f. 1855 d. 29/8 1861. c)

Nils, f. 24/4 1858. d) Anders, f. 12/11 1860. e) Anne Marie, f. 9/5

1863. f) Beret, f. 13/12 1866. Dei tre eldste borna er fødde i

Sunndal og dei andre på Ljørvoll.

3. Elen, f. 10/4 1839. Sjå br.nr. 3.

Tre døydde som spedborn og ein son 24 år gamal. Meir om fami

lien er å finne i Ivar Seljedal sine Sunndalsbøker, bd. 2 s. 181 og bd.

3 s. 33. Begge huslydane flytta samstundes frå Sunndal til Ljørvoll

våren 1858. I kyrkjeboka er huslydane innførte av sokneprest Chr.

Heltberg som innflyttarar nr. 3 og 4 i rekkja det året. Som grunn til

innflyttinga har dei gjeve opp: "For at eie og beboe Gaarden

Leervold".

Vi kan sjå av folketeljingane 1865 og 1875 at dei to huslydane har

drive bruket saman. I begge teljingane er Anne og Nils Larsson opp

førte som kårfolk (ho død 1875), medan sonen Jon står som brukar.

Men han hadde ikkje skøyte på bruket.

1 1865 sådde dei 1/2 t. bygg, 8 t. havre, 7 t. poteter og fora 2 hes

tar, 15 storfe og 27 sauer. Sonen Anders bruka ein del av garden i lag

med faren og broren Jon.

Ved skylddeling 1871 vart løpeno. 123 b, med skyld 3 ort 1 sk.,

• utskild til Anders Nilsson, og løpeno. 123 c, med skyld 2 ort 21 sk.,

Hope this will help.  Sorry I didn't see it earlier.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Richard,

Well that is very helpful.

It tells us that Anne Andersdtr was from the farm of Gikling.

It is most likely therefore that this is her in the 1801 census.

https://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/en-gb/ft/person/pf01058429000099

This means her parents were Anders Andersen (b.c1767) and Guru Larsdtr (b.c1764). We learn that Anne had 4 older brothers.

it appears Anders Andersen was baptised on 9th June 1767 at Sunndal and that Guru Larsdtr was baptised also at Sunndal on 20th April 1764. She was from the Fale farm in Sunndal parish.

According to familysearch Anders Andersen married Guru Larsdtr on 20th May 1793 at Sunndal.

I can also tell you that according to familysearch Lars Olsen married Elen Nilsdtr on 22nd June 1809 at Sunndal. These were Niels Larsen's parents.

This gives you a few more names and dates but there are still pieces of the puzzle you could fit in if you wanted to do the research.

Regards,

Chris.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thanks to your information, I found a Ole II Olsen Vinjeboll ( c1735-Mar 23 1785) and Sigrid Olsdt Ishol (c1735-Mar 23 1785) as Lars Olsen's parents.  The file I have attached came from call DIS (I believe).

I am not sure of the accuracy of this site, but it does talk about Ole Olsen and Sigrid along with Elen Bonsach and a Tonder family.

It also shows a Ole I Olsen Vinjevoll and a Ragnhild  Anbjornsdtr as Ole II Olsen's parents.

As mentioned above, I am not sure of the accuracy of these names.  Some of me data cames from the GENI site and a myheritage site, but I really want 3 or more sites so I can be happy with the information.

The tree I currently have goes back to Forrjot (c160) but I can believe the trail I am on is true.  This show me as the 60 Great Grandson.

But, I am more interested in accuracy than being related to a King.

I hope the attachment goes through and would be happy to provide and additional files related to my search.

I am using the Family Tree Maker (2009) by Ancestry to build my tree.

But, as you probably know, putting a name on a search engine brings many different responses.

That I my reason for reaching out on this site.

I am hoping to provide my tree to my family as a source for there family history.

Sorry for the rambling.

Regards,

Richard

T

1d. Lars Olsen (c1770) - Ole Olsen Vinjeloll (c1729) - Ole Olsen Vinjeloll (c1700) - Ole Viverson (c1670).url

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Richard,

What you see on DIS-Norge is most likely correct.

DIS-Norge is the website for the Norwegian Genealogy Society and can be trusted.

Most of the information that users put in the forums comes from well documented Norwegian farm histories and cross-referenced with original church books.

Whatever you find on this arkivveret forum can also be trusted for the same reason.

However you should always check any information against the primary documents to prove it is correct.

The Norwegian Archives have provided these church books free on this website, and many of the local history societies have transcribed these books and made the databases available on either their websites of the Digitalarkivet website.

A lot of times these history societies have only transcribed what 'familysearch.org' have not, so as not to double-up.

As such, 'familysearch' can also be trusted, providing you are searching their properly digitised records. This is easy to do and what they have can be found here:

http://clubweb.interbaun.com/~elien/norway/

If you enter these batch numbers in their search engine then you will only be searching that particular parish, so eliminating all those spurious 'hits'.

You are correct when you say that putting a name in a search engine will give you thousands of responses.

But with a bit of practise, 'familysearch' can be used to great effect and helping you find exactly what you are looking for. It's about what you put in the search engine. Put in enough to narrow it down but not be so specific that you get zero.

I would be very careful using any of those sites that provide submitted family trees (GENI, MyHeritage, ancestry, etc)

These are family trees that users have submitted. Sometimes they are correct. Sometimes they contain gross errors. Sometimes they use their own checking systems to provide 'hints' to records which are obviously incorrect, but attached that record anyway.

By all means see what others have researched, but ALWAYS check these against the primary sources.

So if you are looking for three sites you can trust, for me the three are Digitalarkivet, Familysearch & any of the local genealogy societies.

Feel free to get back to me if you have any questions.

Chris.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you for the updates.  I have been trying to use the Digitalarkivet website, have having difficulty in some of the translations and under standing instructions.

As for the church books, they are still a mystery to me, but will keep trying.

I will take you up if I need assistance.

Richard

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 3 uker senere...

I am now looking for help in continuing my journey in finding my ancestors.  I have found my information on the following persons. 

John Nilsen Lillehagen (9/15/1830)

Nils Larsen Lillehagen (10/13/1803-2/13/1881)

Lars Olsen Lillehagen (c1770-c1544)

Ole II Olsen Vinjevoll (c1729-3/23/1785)

Ole I Olsen Vinjevol (c1700-c1754)

Ole I Sivertsen Vinjevoll (c1674) I have nothing past this person)

The following person is the wife of Lars Olsen Lillehagen. *

Elen Johanna Nilsdatter Bonsach (c1783*c1837)*

Niels Nielsen Bonsach (3/8/1733-11/12/1797)

Niels Nielsen Bonsach (c1696*7/1/1780)

From  Elen Johanna Nilsdatter Bonsach I have the following persons.

Margrethe Kirstina Larsdatter Tonder (c1756-c1835)

Lars Brix Olufsøn Tønder (3/21/1720-11/1783)

The following are people that I think are in my family tree, but I don’t have any good verification.

Oluf Olufsøn Tønder (6/21/1663-c1725) **

Maren Jørgensdatter Schielderup (5/16/1636-5/26/1701)

Jørgen Pedersøn Schjeldrup (2/15/1604-12/24/1657)

Anne Nielsdatter Holch (c1575-c1612)

Randi Lauristsdatter Holck (5/28/1540-5/29/1597)

** The reason I follow these paths is because following Maren Jørgensdatter Schielderup husband’s line disappeared after 2 generations

I would appreciate you can do to help in my search. 

Thank you

Richard Lervold

Las Vegas, Nevada

USA

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Richard,

You have done well with what I expect was limited resources.

I can confirm that Ole Olsen Vinjevoll (Vinnevold) was buried at Sunndal in January 1754, aged 65.

Here is the church book:

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/kb20070914630023

I noticed the first burial on the same page is Maril Wennevold, aged 60.

This may be Ole Olsen's wife. The ages seem to fit.

Not sure how I can help any more.

The records run out in 1752.

Chris.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you for the update.

This will be one box to check off on my hunt.

I hope to find more accurate updates on the rest of the above names.

Have a nice day.

Richard

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I am now on my next journey in building my family tree.  The following attachment contains 4 generations that I hope are correct.

I have found several web sites that contain information on these individuals, but really want more accurate data.

I have other names after these, but I want to take little steps.

I hope you can help.

Thank you.

Richard

TREE NEXT STEPS 4-27-2017 .docx

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...
  • 2 uker senere...

All the following names on the three branches below have been verified by 2 you your site members.

My tree starts with my grandfather, Neils Johnsen Lervold (24 Apr 1858) and goes back to my 3rd great grandfather, Lars Olsen Lillehagen (c1770) and his wife, Elen Johanna Nilsdatter Bonsach (1783). 

From her, the tree go back to 3 places as listed below.

The first branch goes back to Laurids Tygesen Abilgaard (c1250-c1302).  Most of this branches name are  in Denmark.  This is the end of this branch.

A second branch  goes with the Holck/Holck families going back to c1300. This is the end of this branch.

And a third branch goes to Gunnborg Tormodsdatter Kamp (1430), through Birgitte Cecilia Olufsdatter Gyldenhorn (c1390) to Aasa Ulfsdatter Lejon (c1370), through Cecilia Jonsdatter Suderheim (1345) and to Jon Havtoresson Raud (c1312).  Almost all these are in Norway.

At Jon Havtoresson Raud , I have a couple branches from this point that go back to Sigurd Håkonsson (c895), but no accuracy from anyone on the web site.

The definite accuracy of these branches is from the sites below and not from anyone on this site. 

All the names have come from the follow internet sites:

GENi.com,  gravem.com,  gw.geneanet.org,  genvager.nu, wikipedia.org, minslekt.net, slekt.net, myheritage.no, alf-inge.com, hemneslekt.net and a couple similar sites.

Using the above sites has given my many names, with similar family member and dates, the accuracy of each site is in question.

I believe any information that I received from members on this site is the gold standard where the sites are more like bronze.

Thank you to all who will help me in my search.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...
On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 6:35 AM, Chris Nilsen said:

Hi Richard,

You have done well with what I expect was limited resources.

I can confirm that Ole Olsen Vinjevoll (Vinnevold) was buried at Sunndal in January 1754, aged 65.

Here is the church book:

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/kb20070914630023

I noticed the first burial on the same page is Maril Wennevold, aged 60.

This may be Ole Olsen's wife. The ages seem to fit.

Not sure how I can help any more.

The records run out in 1752.

Chris.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

My authenticated limbs of my tree has gotten as far as Jon Havtoresson Raud.  But on the way, some of the branches went the follow ways.  I am putting the original patch to help with clarity, I hope.

All the following names on the three branches below have been verified by 2 of your site members.

My tree starts with my grandfather, Neils Johnsen Lervold (24 Apr 1858) and goes back to my 3rd great grandfather, Lars Olsen Lillehagen (c1770) and his wife, Elen Johanna Nilsdatter Bonsach (1783). 

From her, the tree go back to 3 places as listed below.

The first branch goes back to Laurids Tygesen Abilgaard (c1250-c1302).  Most of this branches name are  in Denmark.  This is the end of this branch.

A second branch  goes with the Holck/Holch families going back to c1300. This is the end of this branch.

And a third branch goes to Gunnborg Tormodsdatter Kamp (1430), through Birgitte Cecilia Olufsdatter Gyldenhorn (c1390) to Aasa Ulfsdatter Lejon (c1370), through Cecilia Jonsdatter Suderheim (1345) and to Jon Havtoresson Raud (c1312).  Almost all these are in Norway.

At Jon Havtoresson Raud , I have a couple branches from this point that go back to Sigurd Håkonsson (c895), but no accuracy from anyone on the web site.

The definite accuracy of these branches is from the sites below and not from anyone on this site. 

All the names have come from the follow internet sites:

GENi.com,  gravem.com,  gw.geneanet.org,  genvager.nu, wikipedia.org, minslekt.net, slekt.net, myheritage.no, alf-inge.com, hemneslekt.net and a couple similar sites.

Using the above sites has given my many names, with similar family member and dates, the accuracy of each site is in question.

I believe any information that I received from members on this site is the gold standard where the sites are more like bronze.

Thank you to all who will help me in my search.

Richard Lervold

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 3 uker senere...
On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 7:31 PM, Chris Nilsen said:

Hi Richard,

DIS-Norge is the website for the Norwegian Genealogy Society and can be trusted.

Most of the information that users put in the forums comes from well documented Norwegian farm histories and cross-referenced with original church books.

Whatever you find on this arkivveret forum can also be trusted for the same reason.

However you should always check any information against the primary documents to prove it is correct.

The Norwegian Archives have provided these church books free on this website, and many of the local history societies have transcribed these books and made the databases available on either their websites of the Digitalarkivet website.

A lot of times these history societies have only transcribed what 'familysearch.org' have not, so as not to double-up.

As such, 'familysearch' can also be trusted, providing you are searching their properly digitised records. This is easy to do and what they have can be found here:

http://clubweb.interbaun.com/~elien/norway/

If you enter these batch numbers in their search engine then you will only be searching that particular parish, so eliminating all those spurious 'hits'.

You are correct when you say that putting a name in a search engine will give you thousands of responses.

But with a bit of practise, 'familysearch' can be used to great effect and helping you find exactly what you are looking for. It's about what you put in the search engine. Put in enough to narrow it down but not be so specific that you get zero.

I would be very careful using any of those sites that provide submitted family trees (GENI, MyHeritage, ancestry, etc)

These are family trees that users have submitted. Sometimes they are correct. Sometimes they contain gross errors. Sometimes they use their own checking systems to provide 'hints' to records which are obviously incorrect, but attached that record anyway.

By all means see what others have researched, but ALWAYS check these against the primary sources.

So if you are looking for three sites you can trust, for me the three are Digitalarkivet, Familysearch & any of the local genealogy societies.

Feel free to get back to me if you have any questions.

Chris.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I have found another site that I hope will provide accurate ancestry information.

This site listed below is one I am hoping will help steer me in my family tree search.

Hope someone knows anything about this site.

Thank you.

Richard Lervold

Las Vegas, NV.

U.S,A.

Norwegian Encyclopedia (NOR EGIAN BIOGRA) (https://nbl.snl.no/Jon_Havtoresson

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Richard.

There are a lot of people who wants to "prove" that they are descendants of the Viking-kings, thus there is hundreds, if not thousands, of unreliable trees online (and even in good-old-fashion books) where different people claim to be descendants of the Viking-kings. While most Scandinavians probably are descendants of these kings, there are very few people who can prove this claim, and those who can are mostly connected to the royal or "nobel" families in Scandinavia. In your case you claim that Aasa Ulfsdatter was the daugther of Cecilia Jonsdatter. There are many theories about Aasa's parents, but as far as I know none can be proved. The following is copied from the Geni-profile of Aasa Ulfsdatter: https://www.geni.com/people/Åsa-Ulfsdatter/6000000002431861692

Even though Cecilia Jonsdotter (Sudreim) may have had children and even grandchildren, a diploma from 1445:DN XVI:151., shows that all her descendants were dead before 1445. Her closest living relatives according to the diploma were her grandnephews and grandnieces. She had no issue left. Tore Vigerust found this information confirmed also in 16th century documents in Ervallaarkivet. Thus, Åsa Ulfsdotter possibly couldn't have been a daughter of Ulf Holmgeirsson and Cecilia Jonsdotter.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

13 hours ago, knut fasting said:

Hi.

As far as I know, this site brings information about what spesialists hold as correct for now..

Knut F

Thank you very  much.

I will consider this site as one of my go to sites.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 1:42 AM, Richard said:

Thanks for the attachment.  I took a lot of time, but I did manage to get many more branched on the tree.

Somehow I have lost the attachment you sent me for Elen Johanna Nilsdatter.

If you could send to again I would appreciate it.

If it is not available, I understand.

Thanks.

Richard Lervold

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

På 28.3.2017 den 19.31, Chris Nilsen skrev:

Hi Richard,

(...)

Chris Nilsen,

Just now, I became aware of this thread and there is a need for a few clarifications.

First, the allegation: "DIS-Norge is the website for the Norwegian Genealogy Society and can be trusted." is, frankly, quite false.

DIS-Norge has been undergoing somewhat of a brand name metamorphosis over the last few years. The society started out calling itself "DIS-Norge" from the onset in 1990, then went on to attain the somewhat difficult name construct "DIS-Norge, Slekt og Data", for now just recently to drop the acronym based DIS-Norge altogether. The society now calls itself merely "Slekt og Data".

During the years of name based unease, the society was looking for a way to profile itself internationally, and ended up with the construct "Genealogy Society of Norway-DIS". See more at: https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slekt_og_Data

If it hadn't been for the fact that Norway for about 80 years has had a fully functional and vibrant society with almost the exact same name, there would have been no possible confusion potentially rising out of this matter.

However, Norsk Slektshistorisk Forening (the real "The Norwegian Genealogical Society") has been in existence from 1926 and onwards and the DIS-Norge conglomerate thus has contributed to quite a bit of confusion on insisting to brand itself with a name which both (1) indicates a unwarranted scientific level of genealogy and (2) clearly is begging to be confused with the only true genealogical society in Norway, namely the only one producing vast amounts of new knowledge through publishing scientific literature on the subject contrary to that of the DIS-Norge. See more at: http://www.genealogi.no

Second, the allegation the website of DIS-Norge can be trusted, is somewhat of a double-edged sword. Yes, there are many trustworthy transliterations rendered through discussions and certain databases. However, any website rendering historical data or the discussion there of, cannot be more trustworthy than the actual quality of the input and the people contributing to the said information. Thus, a website, as such, shouldn't be given the stamp of quality approval without a more thorough analysis. In this case, the quality of the "DIS-Norge"-webpage, as it is presented above, is likely to be confused with the proven quality of a very different society.

So, therefore, I urge all foreign participants on this forum (and elsewhere) to make the necessary distinctions. and your (Chris') major point still stands: "you should always check any information against the primary documents to prove it is correct.". Well said!

Sincerely,

Are

Endret av Are S. Gustavsen
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider