Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

'ALOHA' book from Hawaii

Chris Nilsen
 Del

I have learnt about a book written about the Norwegians who emigrated to Hawaii in 1880.

The book is called

'Aloha, fra glemte nordmenn på Hawaii.
Fra slaveliv til ferieparadis'

Written by:
Torbjørn Greipsland

Does anybody have a copy of this book and can look up a name for me?

Thanks

Chris

Adelaide, Australia.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hei Dag,

Thank you for your reply.

I was expecting that the book would be much older than it is. It is good to be able to still contact the author.

If you are able to look up a name for me I would appreciate it. I may then be able to take it further with the author.

The girl was Hanna Kirstine Nilsdr.

She was born in 1861 and was living at Høvikstrand in 1880.

She appears in the Utflyttede register from Lier, Buskerud and it mentions that she is one of those going to Hawaii.

I'm wondering if she actually went and what happened to her there.

Thanks.

Chris.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I will try to check it out tonight. Do you know for a fact that she is mentioned in the book?

Endret av Dag T. Hoelseth
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The book includes the passenger lists for the ships Beta and Musca which went from Drammen to Hawaii in 1880-1881, but I couldn't find any mentioning of Hanna's name (or something similar). Went through the lists twice. Have also given the book a quick read-through without finding any Hanna Kirstine/Christine ... I still think you should contact Greipsland, though. He might have information not included in the book.

DTH

Endret av Dag T. Hoelseth
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The book does not include a name register and I made my own register several years ago. I was not able to find Hanna and it is very unlikely that she is mentioned there.

Vidar

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you. I will contact Greipsland.

It's a bit of a mystery.

Perhaps for some reason she never boarded or died en route.

She is definitely in the utflyttede register as being one of the 32 from Lier who were going.

Chris

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider