Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Martin Jensen - fødd i Noreg kring 1873-1875 - utvandra til Kansas - døydde i Oregon i 1932 - kven var han?

Lars E. Øyane
 Del

Ei kjenning av meg i California har sendt meg følgjande etterlysing, og eg attgjev etterlysingi slik ho er forfatta:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know this is a really long shot, since I have almost nothing about this man to help find him in Norway, but I am looking for a Martin Jensen, born in Norway about 1873-1875, parents names’ Jens Jensen and Bergete Olson (Per records from Oregon State Soldiers Home). Unfortunately I have nothing more about his life in Norway, other than in the 1930 census he claimed to have immigrated in 1890.  

I have searched passenger records in Ancestry and not found any matches that look real promising.  I searched the 1875 census index at Digitalarkivet without finding anyone that fit, though someone with more creative thinking than I and a better command of the site might be able to find him using better filters or search parameters.  I searched the 1885 census index and found a couple possibilities, but none of them were living with parents so I couldn’t confirm if it was the right Martin.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have a good idea of his life in the U.S., though there are some holes.  Just a brief rundown of what I know so no one wastes time looking for information I already have.

immigrated possibly about 1890 (per 1930 census)
June 1898 - was living in Oregon and enlisted in the 2nd Oregon Volunteer Infantry, was sent to the Philippines
June 1899 - discharged from 2nd Oregon Infantry and almost immediately re-enlisted in the 35th U.S. Infantry, remaining in the Philippines until discharged March 1901.
1900 - I assume he was in the Philippines, based on military service record, so have been unable to find him in U.S. census
December 1904 - married Ethel May Miller in Crawford, Kansas
1905 - Kansas State Census -  birth place Norway about 1873 - wife May, daughter Dortha (since he and May married only four months prior to this - daughter may be from a previous marriage?)
1910 census - Martin and May are not found, but Dortha was living with May’s parents James and Matilda Miller. Family stories claim they went back and forth to Canada, so possibly they were there at this time? I do not have access to Canadian records.
1915 Kansas census - Martin Jenson (wife May, daughters Dorothy and Pearl) living in Walnut Grove, Kansas.
1920 - suspect they were in Canada at this time - no record found in U.S. census
1925 Kansas census - May living with daughter Louise in Pittsburg Kansas.  Apparently Martin is out of the picture as May is listed as widow even though I have evidence he was still alive.
1930  census - May had remarried and was still living in Kansas.  Martin can be found as a resident in the Oregon State Soldiers Home in Roseburg OR.
1927-1932 - Oregon State Soldiers Home records show he was admitted and discharged multiple times between Jan 1927 and Jan 1932 when he was transferred to the National Soldiers Home in Sawtelle, CA, where he died September 16, 1932 and he is buried in the National Cemetery in Los Angeles, CA.  Find A Grave Memorial# 80892633

If anyone has access to Canadian records and happens to find the family either living in Canada or at border crossings, that would be appreciated, but what I really am hoping for are some pointers to find Martin in Norway.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eg sende ho følgjande svar, men om dette er relevant for saki, veit eg ikkje:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have been looking a little bit around, and the only approximate «hit» I come up with is from the passenger record of the «Polynesian» which arrived at Halifax, NS in March of 1890 where two, apparently brothers, came along:

Knut Jensen, laborer, aged 20
Martin Jensen, laborer, aged 18

It doesn’t say they came from Norway, but there seems to be a number of Norwegians arriving on the same vessel… Their destination was Marshfield, I presume Marshfield, WI.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So slik står saki pr. i dag!

Alle gode tips vert mottekne med òpne armar!

Endret av Lars E. Øyane
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

For ordens skyld: 

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=jensen&GSfn=martin&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSst=6&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=80892633&df=all&

Martin Jensen
Learn about sponsoring this memorial...
Birth:  unknown, Norway
Death:  Sep. 16, 1932
trans.gif
Military Service
2nd Oregon Volunteer Infantry, company D, June 1898-June 1899 - Manila, Philippines
35th U.S. Infantry, Company F, July 1899 - March 1901 - Manila, Philippines

Family links: 
 Spouse:
  May Miller Jensen (1881 - 1961)

Children:
  Pearl L Jensen Hanks (1905 - 1948)*
  Ethel Virgie Jenson Saul (1908 - 1968)*
  James M Jensen (1911 - 1912)*

*Calculated relationship

Burial:
Los Angeles National Cemetery 
Los Angeles
Los Angeles County
California, USA
Plot: 66 E 2

Created by: Marvin & Samme Templin
Record added: Nov 23, 2011 
Find A Grave Memorial# 80892633
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hjarteleg takk til Grethe for nytt innlegg med supplerande opplysningar om Martin Jensen!

Det er i dag komme eit nytt innlegg på den amerikanske Rootsweb-sida som òg drøftar denne saki, og eg vil gjerne få attgje denne:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have tried to look for your Martin Jensen (also tried the name Morten no hits)  see emigration.

I have this emigrationrecords for 1890 see here below and looked at the parishes mentioned, without luck finding a baptism with parents Jens Jensen + Bergete Olsen.

I think you need first information of more censusrecords in the USA or where he lived there after 1890.

EMIGRATION:
Trondheim
     1890  468  13  13  1  23.01.1890  23.01.1890  Martin  Jens.  ug   Arb  m  16  Lurø  Barnesville Minn

Kristiansund
     182  1890  Juni 04  Martinus  Jenssen Angvik  M  1876  1876  U  Arbeider  Tingvoll  Nordmøre  Michigan  Ja  

Bergen Hordaland Wedding
     Jens  Jensen  Uk tjenestedreng  Kvindherred  160136  Brita  Olsdtr  Pige  Haus  100340  Mai 08  1870  KK  

baptism in Haus #32
https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/8282/44

Kristiana tillegg
     1890  471  20  1  11.04.1890  Martin  Jens.    Arb.  m  19  Ø. Toten  Helgesen (A.)  Stoughton  Rollo  11.04.1890

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eg veit ikkje om noko av dette kan bringa oss vidare i leitingi etter Martin Jensen??

Eg takkar på ny for alle gode tips!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Eit nytt «element» er komme frå Amerika om Martin Jensen - som peiker mot at han kom frå LURØY:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just found another bit of information that I’m hopeful could be of help, though my searches have not yielded much fruit.

On family search at https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939X-XKSL-F3?mode=g&i=2080&cc=1834308
I found that in 1901, a Hans Jensen, living in “Luro” Helgeland, Norway, wrote to the U.S. War Department seeking information regarding his brother Martin Jensen, which I know from the military unit mentioned is the correct Martin Jensen

I did find a Hans Jensen in Lurø in the 1900 census, born in Lurø in 1859.  This makes the emigration record from Trondheim that Reina found look promising, as it states a Martin Jensen of the correct age, from Lurø, emigrated in 1890, the correct year.  However, my search of the Lurøy parish book for Martin’s birth between 1872-1875 as well as for a Hans Jensen in 1859 with the correct parents was unsuccessful.

Does this bit of information suggest any additional searches I might try?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Og sjå kva eg finn på Ytre Onø i Lurøy i 1875:

https://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/ft/person/pf01052420000692

Anders Martin Jensen er fødd i 1873!!

Her er fødsli hans: https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/6674/54

Har me løyst problemet for venninna mi i California?  Rapport er send!

Endret av Lars E. Øyane
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider