Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Finding relatives in Norway

Rebecca
 Del

I am tracing my roots in Norway & wish to connect with relatives that I believe are still there, hopefully to meet them on a trip to Norway in a year!  I am a descendent of Peder Pedersen Sonsterudkvern & Helene Andersdatter Knappppom, the  great grand-daughter of their son, Ole Peterson Kvern, who was born at Sanstru Kvernen, Aasnes Solar, Norway in 1856. 

I have some idea of the lineage, but not about the living relatives.  I have not yet learned Norwegian (starting to tho!).  So English is preferred in responses.

Thank you for any assistance and guidance,

Rebecca (Kvern)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hello Rebecca

I found Peder Pedersen and his wife Helene (Elene) Andersdatter and their family in 1865.

https://digitalarkivet.no/census/person/pf01038043002918

I also founf then in Åsnesboka #1, page 350

http://www.nb.no/nbsok/nb/28353bc627eb3c24057939f2289f56c6?index=1#361 You can not read that because you need a Norwegian IPadress - I do not know why

Godd luck!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

In 1891 Per Persen SønsterudsKværn, a widower born 1815, was living at Sønsterudskværn with his son Knut Persen SønsterudsKværn and his family. It was noted that Per/Peder Persen/Pedersen was blind at the time.

Hedmark county, Åsnes in Solør, State Census (1891-1891), Document pages, Page 3665

Quick link: https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/ft10061011015596

Peder Pedersen Sønsterudkvern, born in 1815, died 8 May 1902 at farm Skjøthaugen in Åsnes  parish

Hedmark county, Åsnes in Åsnes, Parish register (official) no. 0A (1890-1929), Deceased and buried 1902, Page 259

Quick link: https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/kb20060322011048

At Census 1910 Peder P. Kvern, born at Aasnes in 1844, was living at farm Skjøthaugen with his family. This was most probably son of Peder Pedersen who died in 1902, ref the link above.

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/census/person/pf01036409002131

Given the fact that Peder Pedersen Sønsterudkværn and his wife Helene Andersdatter had at least 10 children, I'll consider your chances of finding living relatives of yours to be relatively good. I would think that locals from the Gjesaasen/Åsnes area wood stand a better chance to help you out on this. Hopefully some will respond to your request for info.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Rebecca,

Check the attatched - it's from #2 Åsnesboka about farm Skjøthaugen. Translated it says something like "Users of this farm came from Sønsterudkvern where father and son were millers for several generations. The first inhabitant was Per Kvern. His son Knut Kvern, dead in 1912, was married to a Swedish girl named Betty. Their children were sons Per/Peder Kvern born 1883, Einar born 1888, daughters Martha married to Arne Kalfoss, Borghild married to Petrus Kalfoss, Agnes married to Sverre Rustad, sons Ole and Kolbjørn plus Sverre who lives in US.

Peder Peder Sønsterudkvern was owner until 1880. His son Knud Pedersen Kvern was registered owner of farm Skjøthaugen from 17 Sep 1890. Einar Knudsen Kvern (my note: check above - Einar born 1888) was registered owner from 9 May 1938, when he got the deed to the farm from his widowed mother Betty."

Quite a few of the names in mention can be found on this tombstone at Gjesåsen graveyard of Åsnes parish (a double-click on the link is needed)

Gravminner i Norge

http://www.disnorge.no/gravminner/bilde.php?id=3595972

A phone-call to the cemetery agency or church warden of Åsnes parish could possibly result in the name of the caretaker of this plot - usually such a person would be a close relative. If no better news shows up I'll see what gives over the weekend.

It so happens that my neighbor up the road has his roots from Åsnes and I'll ask him one of these days if the family-name Kvern rings a bell.

Best, Kjell H.

Skjøthaugen story 1.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

4 hours ago, Kjell Halvorsen said:

Hi Rebecca,

Check the attatched - it's from #2 Åsnesboka about farm Skjøthaugen. Translated it says something like "Users of this farm came from Sønsterudkvern where father and son were millers for several generations. The first inhabitant was Per Kvern. His son Knut Kvern, dead in 1912, was married to a Swedish girl named Betty. Their children were sons Per/Peder Kvern born 1883, Einar born 1888, daughters Martha married to Arne Kalfoss, Borghild married to Petrus Kalfoss, Agnes married to Sverre Rustad, sons Ole and Kolbjørn plus Sverre who lives in US.

Peder Peder Sønsterudkvern was owner until 1880. His son Knud Pedersen Kvern was registered owner of farm Skjøthaugen from 17 Sep 1890. Einar Knudsen Kvern (my note: check above - Einar born 1888) was registered owner from 9 May 1938, when he got the deed to the farm from his widowed mother Betty."

Quite a few of the names in mention can be found on this tombstone at Gjesåsen graveyard of Åsnes parish (a double-click on the link is needed)

Gravminner i Norge

http://www.disnorge.no/gravminner/bilde.php?id=3595972

A phone-call to the cemetery agency or church warden of Åsnes parish could possibly result in the name of the caretaker of this plot - usually such a person would be a close relative. If no better news shows up I'll see what gives over the weekend.

It so happens that my neighbor up the road has his roots from Åsnes and I'll ask him one of these days if the family-name Kvern rings a bell.

Best, Kjell H.

Skjøthaugen story 1.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Just now, Rebecca said:

Thank you SOOOO much! If you could ask your neighbor if they are related, that'd be great! I really wish to visit Norway & connect with relatives! If you, or your neighbor wish any more information about who I am, or my ancestors, I do have a bit of information about where my relatives came from. I've tried to locate some of the names of towns on a map, but can't seem to find the right ones. Perhaps the names of towns have changed, or I'm not yet experienced enough to interpret things. I really appreciate your help!

Rebecca

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi again,

I came across yet another tombstone of possible interest at the Gjesåsen graveyard of Åsnes parish,  check this link

Gravminner i Norge

https://www.disnorge.no/gravminner/bilde.php?id=3596452

It show Peder P. Skjøthaug born 6 June 1844 and members of his family. He was an older brother of 'your' Ole Peterson Kvern.

I had a quite positive exchange on the phone with a very forthcoming clerk representing the church warden of Åsnes parish earlier today. She promised to pass on a request to the caretakers of these two cemetery plots at the Gjesåsen church of Åsnes parish for them to give her an ok or not to pass their names to us.

It's the policy of this forum for users to be careful of what you write about living people and yourself. Also avoid disclosure of any information about living or dead persons who may hurt, offend or injure anyone. For this reason I've posted a PM to you showing my findings so far of descendants of Peder Pedersen Sønsterudkvern, including what I consider to be a few living relatives of yours.

Kjell H.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thanks again for your assistance, and information about this forum.  I couldn't find the PM you refer to about potential living relatives...could you re-write that info please?

Thanks,

Rebecca

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

This forum allow users to communicate via PM - Personal Message - and I sent you one as mentioned. It may have failed because I accidentally didn't include a subject to PM, so I just sent you the same PM with a subject added. One normally get notified of the PM in the same way you're notified when someone responds in your thread. Let me know if the PM goes thru this time.

Kjell H.

Endret av Kjell Halvorsen
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Left: Arne & Marta (Kvern) Foss 1961.  They lived in Minnesota some years, and removed the Kal.

Right:  Arne & Marta, and theire children (from tight) Kenneth, Astrid, Kethryn and Åge (my wifes father).

Åge is still alive, age 95 on august 17.

foss2sml.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you Bjorn.  Do you know who was Marta (Kvern) Foss's parents?  I don't find her name on my descendants list, but my list could be incomplete.  I am the great grand daughter of Ole Pedersen Kvern (7 April 1856-?) and Sovie Helgeson (16 Dec 1861-?).  I understand that Ole and several of his siblings came to America prior to 1894 (when they married in North Dakota).  Many of the siblings ended up near Fergus Falls, also.  Ole's father was Ole Pedersen Sonsterudkvern who was married to Helene Andersdatter Knappom-who probably lived in Sanstru Kvernen, Aasnes Solar, Norway---in Hedmark county.

It is possible that we're related, but I'm not sure yet.  If you know your wife's great-grandparents information, we could verify!

Thank you.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hello Bjorn!

I went back on my information and see that your wife is probably a descendant of Knut Kvern (1852) and Betty Pettersen...correct? Grand daughter of Marta Kvern & Arne Kalfoss.  I believe that Marta Kvern's father was Knut Kvern.  My information says that Knut Kvern remained in Norway when several of his siblings came to USA.  If this information is correct, then we are probably cousins...about 4 times removed??  Just wondering where in Norway you and your family are living...if we come to Norway next summer I'd love to meet all of you!

Rebecca

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Just wondering how old Lilli-Ann is and where she lives. She appears to be similar in age to me (62).

Rebecca

Endret av Rebecca
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Great!  Yes, I'm on Facebook as Rebecca Boyington Johnson, I live in Spokane, Washington, USA. Please "friend" me!

Yesterday Connie Holden called me and we had a lovely chat and I told her you and I had connected!  

This is is exciting to find you! Do you live in Oslo?

Rebecca

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 år senere...

Does anyone have any information on Peder Olesen Sonsterudkvern born about 1779 who was married to Kari Knutsdotter?  He was the father of Per Persen SønsterudsKværn and I can not find any trace of him before 1805.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider