Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Help with reading a church record

Frank McGuire
 Del

I would like help in reading the attached marriage record 18 August 1822 at Stokke. I understand that the bridegroom is John Halvorsen, Iron works, and the Bride is Karen Kirstine Isachsen, Melson farm. I am particularly interested in anything else that may tell me where John Halvorsen was born and his age. 

Regards

Frank

Norway 1822 Halversen marriage2.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

34 | John Halvorsen af Holdt Sogn - efter Kongl. Bevilling at vies i Huset - Fuldmægtig hos her Aal ved Næs Jern Værk | Jomfrue Karen Kirstine Isachssen paa Melsom Gaard

They got married on August 16, not 18.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Else,

Thank you for that interpretation of the words in the marriage record, and for the corrected date.I have tried an online translation, which was unsuccessful. Can you help me with the translation? I assume the first part is that he is from Holt parish, and the last is Naas ironworks.

Regards

Frank

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

John Halvorsen af Holdt Sogn: John Halvorsen from Holdt parish

efter Kongl. Bevilling at vies i Huset according to Royal licence to be wed in the house

Fuldmægtig hos her Aal ved Næs Jern Værk: clerical officer of Mister Aal at Næs ironwork

Jomfrue Karen Kirstine Isachssen paa Melsom Gaard: Virgin Karen Kirstine Isachssen at Melsom farm

The word "fuldmægtig" is nowadays written "fullmektig" .

The Norwegian word for "clerical officer" is actually "kontorfullmektig" (kontor = office).  I chose that translation because it seems to me that John Halvorsen was employed at the ironwork  and not a law firm.

Fullmektig is, according to my dictionary,  solicitor's managing clerk , law clerk.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Lene,

Thats really good thank you. it fits with the information that he was an Inspector at the ironworks in 1832. 

Just one more question for anyone who knows- in the 1832 Ironworks records, there is mention of Halvor Madsen, who i believe if john Halvorsen's father, as being 'Grubestiger' I cant find that in the translations. Can anyone help?

Regards

Frank

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

"Grube" is nowadays written "gruve". Gruve translates to "mine", as in coal mine for instance.

I searched for the word "grubestiger" and as far as I can see, it means "mine engineer" and/or  "mine supervisor".  

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Norway imported several skilled miners from Germany, and so many German words came into Norwegian mining vocabulary. Stiger is derived from German Steiger, which means overseer, deputy, foreman (see dictionary).

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 4 måneder senere...

I need some more help.

Karen Kirstine, who was married at Stokke in 1822, gave her surname as Isaachsen, rather than Isaachdr. She  had 6 children at Holt between 1823 and 1835, and for the  1st, 2nd & 6th she gave her surname as Halvorsen, and for the other 3 she gave isaachsen. Is there some reason why she always uses 'sen' as her surname rather than 'datter'?

I know they are all the same family, as they are together in the 1832 census for Naess Jernverk, where she is also named Halvorsen, the same as her husband John Halvorsen.  It may have been that she uses her husband's surname, but why sometimes use isaachsen instead of isaachsdr?T

I question this in case it has something to do with why I cant find her birth record. the marriage record shows she is from melsom guard, which I understand to be a farmland near Stokke.  Does that mean she was born at Melsom, or only that she lived there when married?

The only clue to her date of birth is the 1832 census that gives her age as 37 (born 1795) and her husband's as 38 1/2 (correct)

The only baptisms of Karen Kirstine that i can find at Stokke, from the baptisms (and from the 1801 Stokke census)  are-

-age 2, to Anders olsen & Berthe Marie Knudsr (at Melsom)

-age 5 to Corneius Madsen & Anne Catrine Walberg

-age 7 to Kassemir Hals & Joachimine Nygaard

The only Karen Kistrine Isaachsen baptisms  are--

- 6/11/1792 at Porsgrunn, to Isaac Hansen & Karen kirstine Johannesdr

-20/8/1797 at Gjerpen to Isaac Andersen

There is a Petro Kirsten baptised at Sandar near Stokke) 25/12/1795 to Isaac Christen Waale & Helbvig Kirsten Bendtsdr. Strangely, the 1801 census for Sandar is-  Petro & Kirstine , age 6., so I dont know if that is an error or the baptism record is an error.

Any help with these puzzles would be very welcome. 

Regards

Frank

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider