Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Charles Anderson f. 1832 i Vestfold? / Tønsberg?

Charles A
 Del

Hi ,

The only details that we have that Charles came from Tauslipp is that both his marriage and death certificates mention this as his place of origin.  Also on his marriage his father's occupation is mentioned as a carpenter. So my colleague had assumed that the family must have been involved in the local ship yard building boats.  I don't think he had any other evidence on  his.

Charles Anderson marriage certifcate.pdf

Death Certificate Charles Anderson.pdf

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Also one of the key pieces of information that we have is that my colleague did a DNA test which showed his relation - William Roberts came from the Stavenger area. 

We know that William Roberts and Charles Anderson travelled to Australia together and stayed together after they arrived - they even  married sisters.

This would seem to indicate a very strong association either being family members or from the same area.

The problem we face is how to trace their origins  and family in Norway - they went to some trouble to cover this is Australia for fear of being forced out of the country. Any suggestions that you have would be very appreciated.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I may have overlooked something, but like Kristian - I still haven't seen you presenting us links to other documents showing that he came from Tau (the Stavanger area)!  I'm not convinced that his place of birth in the marriage certificate is correct!

Parish register for Domkirken -  Stavanger - moving out of the parish (right column)

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/1669/11090/1

Tau is located in Strand parish:

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/kb/browse?archives[0]=no-a1450-06000000035784&start_year=&end_year=&text=

Jon Erik

Endret av Jon Erik Berg-Hansen
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I would suggest you contact the local archive in Stavanger «Stavanger byarkiv»:

byarkivet@stavanger.kommune.no

Most shipyards (and other industry) in Stavanger in the 1800’s were located east, with a view to Tau in Strand. The author of «Folk i Strand». «Strand bygdebok» and other books regarding local history is employed at the archive.

There is no english version of the web site. New version (work i progress):

https://www.stavanger.kommune.no/byarkivet

Old version:

http://www2.stavanger.kommune.no/no/Tilbud-tjenester-og-skjema/Kultur-idrett-og-fritid/Stavanger-Byarkiv/tema/Slekt/

You might also contact «Stavanger Søemandsforening» est. 1850, historical society regarding seamanship, sailors and shipping:

http://www.stavangersoemandsforening.no/ (Sorry, no english version)

stavans@online.no

Welcome to Stavanger :)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 4 måneder senere...
On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:07 PM, Kristian Hunskaar (privat) said:

Based on the given names Karl, August and Lisa, I would suggest the possibility that this is a Swedish family, i.e. Karl may have been born in Sweden and later raised in Norway. Many families migrated from Sweden to Vestfold in the 19th century. I may be wrong, as the given names also could be Norwegian, but these three given names in combination would be more common in Sweden than in Norway.

It would be of interest to know exactly where you have got your information about Karl and his parents, and also exact spellings etc. Would it be possible to take photo(s) of the document(s)?

Hello Kristian,

I have continued my search on locating the Norwegian origins of Charles Andersen and his family with out any luck. 

Although I have discovered from Shipping records in Australia that his name could be Johan and that he most likely sailed to London and then onto Australia from the ship yard at Tau in Rogaland (Tauslip is mentioned as his place of origin on his marriage certificate ).

However we have been unable to find any record of his birth or his parents marriage or birth in Norway.

I would now like to follow up your suggestion about the family maybe coming from Sweden in the 1800's. Could they also have come from Denmark?

Do you have any suggestions as to how I could follow this line of enquiry?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider