Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Gjert Jansson Hollender

Matt Sorenson
 Del

I believe I may have found some records regarding Gjert Jansson Hollender. Maybe this information is already out there, maybe not. Previous information I have gathered, mainly from forums, state that Gjert was a ships captain, who came to Skien, presumably from Haarlem, his first wife was likely named Sara, the name Cato is associated with his family, and he had a son named Jan born around the 1580’s. 

With that said, has anybody come across the records from the Oude Kerk in Amsterdam that mention a Gerret Janssen? He is listed as a, “Schipper op Noorwegen”, married to a Sara Catous (in 1583), and had a son named Jan (in 1584). There is a lot written in the marriage intention record from 1582, but unfortunately, I cannot make too much of it out. 

Is this the one and the same Gjert Jansson?  

What information is given in this marriage intention record?

Marriage Intention record:

Marriage:

Birth of Jan:

Index card:

Thanks,
Matt
Endret av Matt Sorenson
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Matt,

Thank you for bringing these sources to the forum. Previously, I've been somewhat preoccupied studying the genealogy of Gjert Jansson Hollender, both at the old forum and at the Phorum (Grenland Ættehistorielag). The latter has unfortunately been discontinued, and all the postings have been lost by provider deletion.

Please refer to these threads regarding the earlier discussions on the subject (the two in the middle initiated by undersigned in 2005):

[#11801] Kato styrmann i Skien 1620: https://forum.arkivverket.no/topic/97693-11801-kato-styrmann-i-skien-1620/?tab=comments#comment-802756

[#29679] Groll på 1600-tallet: https://forum.arkivverket.no/topic/115276-29679-groll-på-1600-tallet/?tab=comments#comment-941191

[#29835] Mannsnavnet Cato på 1500- og 1600-tallet:  https://forum.arkivverket.no/topic/115432-29835-mannsnavnet-cato-på-1500-og-1600-tallet/?tab=comments#comment-942566

[#32849] Modummennesker: https://forum.arkivverket.no/topic/118406-32849-modummennesker/?tab=comments#comment-965824

It is very interesting to note that you actually have got a certain «Gerit Jans β Van Amsterd(am)» getting married to a certain «Sara Catoos Van Amsterd(am)» in the initial entry (from 1582).

For the last 14-15 years my hypothesis has been that the first wife of "Gjert Jansson Hollender" in Skien, Norway, probably were a Sara or Sarka (diminutive, little Sara), since a daughter of the presumed son Cato Gjertsson was named Sarka, while what seems to be the oldest daughter in his second marriage (to Femja Sørensdatter) also was named Sarka.

If this candidate, appearing in Amsterdam in the 1580s, turns out to be the very same we have been discussing for years, it would bring the research surrounding the Skien patriciate to a new level. A true breakthrough in the making, so to speak.

I'll have a closer look at the records you've provided.

May I ask, what has brought you to the study of this family? Are you a descendant yourself, perhaps?

Best regards,

Are

Endret av Are S. Gustavsen
Korrektur
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Are,

Thank you for the response. Yes, my interest in this family stems from being a descendent. I was quite excited when I found these records, and I’m glad that it seems to be with good reason. Sorry, I realize now that I should have mentioned you in my initial post considering most of the information I got from the forums came from you. 

I’ve been continuing my search through the records, but am painfully reminded that my knowledge of Dutch genealogy is limited. 

Who is that ‘Gisbert Jans β’ mentioned in the 1582 record? 

If you could be so kind as to let me know what you can find out regarding these records, that would be much appreciated. 

Thanks,

Matt

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Matt,

I still need some time with the images that you provided. My Dutch paleography skills are still a work in progress.

While we are waiting, I hope you are aware of the data bases provided by Geemente Archief/Stadtarchief in Amsterdam: https://www.amsterdam.nl/stadsarchief/archief/

You will find a subsection "Archiefbank Indexen" where there is immediate access to searches for baptisms (Doopregisters 1564-1811) , marriages (Ondertrouwregisters 1565-1811) and burials (Begraafregisters 1553-1811), and many more for the City of Amsterdam.

Back in the fall of 2008, I wrote a web-tutorial (well, a written guide) on how to access this database in its then form and function (in Norwegian): http://old.genealogi.no/Eur_An/nederlandsksearch.htm 

Although outdated (some bad links etc), it still provides for a general overview on which research possibilities there is regarding Amsterdam.

Best regards,

Are

Endret av Are S. Gustavsen
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 3 år senere...

Hi Are,

Thanks for directing me to Geemente Archief/Stadtarchief in Amsterdam.  Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to get anywhere with it. I was just wondering if you have had any luck with these records. 

Thanks,

Matt

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 4 måneder senere...

Regarding Cato Gjertsen: Some time ago I found a Cato Gerritsz who was buried 16/3 1645 by Nieuwe Kerk en Engelse Kerk in Amsterdam. But with no age registered, so it might have been a different man than "our" Cato Gjertsen. However, I have not found a man baptized in Amsterdam from 1564 onwards, with this name.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Jeg vil ikke "stjele" denne interessante debatten - men om noen av dere debattanter (eller lesere) vet noe om Gjert Jansson Hollenders etterkommere vær så snill å ta en titt på min debatt:

I do not want to "steal" this interesting debate - so if any of you debaters (or readers) do know anything about Gjert Jansson Hollenders descendants please take a look at my debate:

Kvinnenavnet Sarka: Noen forbindelse mellom Gert Jansson Hollenders kone og en dame med samme navn i Modum? - Brukernes eget forum - Arkivverket

Endret av tom askerøi
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider