Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Beret Anna Hansdatter b. 20 Sep 1890 in Heim, Hemne, Sør-Trøndelag - name change?

Randall Wick
 Del

Bertha A. Wick was my grandmother (died in 1979). She used the name Beret Anna Hansdatter Snekvik while in Norway.

Here she is with her widowed mother and older sister Marit Hansdatter Snekvik in the 1900 Norway census:

1900 Norway census - Snekvikhaugen, Heim, Hemne, Sør-Trøndelag, Dist 7, Residence 43

My questions concern her name. Note that in the 1900 census she used the name Beret. In her baptism record from the church at Heim she has the name "Marit Anna" not "Beret Anna". Here is the baptism record I found:

Marit/Beret Anna Hansdatter baptism, born 20 Sep 1890 - Heim, Hemne, Sør-Trøndelag

Beret Anna Hansdatter Snekvik had an older sister with the name Marit Hansdatter Snekvik. Here is her baptism record I found:

Marit Hansdatter Snekvik born 25 Aug 1887, baptized Heim, Hemne, Sør-Trøndelag

The local genealogy association for Hemne (www.hemneslekt.net) has a terrific online database, but I did not see an explanation of the name change for Beret Anna Hansdatter Snekvik.

My questions are: 

is there a Norwegian parish record or other Norwegian document to show that Marit Anna Hansdatter Snekvik (born 20 Sep 1890) changed her name to Beret Anna Hansdatter Snekvik?

Or, is it likely that the priest who recorded the baptism in 1890 made a mistake with her name?

Is there any other place I should research to find out what happened with the name, or should I be satisfied that Marit Anna and Beret Anna are the same person?

Attached are snippets (extracted from the baptisms listed above) concerning the two sisters.

Thank you.

Randall Glenn Wick

Hansdatter Beret 1890 birth.jpg

Hansdatter Marit 1887 birth.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi,

the sexton’s record has Berit Anna:

SAT, Ministerialprotokoller, klokkerbøker og fødselsregistre - Sør-Trøndelag, 633/L0519: Klokkerbok nr. 633C01, 1884-1905, s. 24
Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://media.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070418690281

The confirmation record, too, has Berit Anna:

SAT, Ministerialprotokoller, klokkerbøker og fødselsregistre - Sør-Trøndelag, 633/L0518: Ministerialbok nr. 633A01, 1884-1906, s. 23
Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://media.digitalarkivet.no/kb20060613080198

So I guess we have a case here of the priest making a mess of it.

Richard

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi,

Thank you for this excellent and fast response. I am surprised to see an error by a priest in the records, since the Norway records I have reviewed before are very accurate.

I could not find the confirmation record for Berit Anna using the link you provided. I browsed the parish record and it appears that her birth year of 1890 was being confirmed in about 1905. Berit Anna departed for America in 1904, so maybe she was not confirmed in Norway before she left.

Beritanna Snerkvig departs from Trondheim 31 Aug 1904 for Quebec with her mother Elen and older sister Marit

Thank you for your help.

Randall Glenn Wick

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider