Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Help with old handwriting - Mandal church book, 1743

Carl-Henry Geschwind
 Del

On 27 June 1743 Salve Thomasen married Anne Gejrusdatter Landøe in Halse parish, Vest-Agder. The church book entry is on the middle of the right-hand side here. I am having trouble making out the last word on the first line of the entry: "Fer. 2 Nat. . . trolovert Salve Thomasen fra _____ / ung K. enroulleret" Can anyone help me with this word, which would indicate where he came from? They eventually settled at her home farm, and I can find her ancestors, but I am having difficulty finding his origins. Thank you!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

This now leads to another question.

In the baptismal record for Thomas and Anne's second child (fourth one on left hand side - Giert, baptised Dom. 24 p. Trin. in 1746), he is again listed as "Salve ... ved Kirchen". The previous baptism on the same page (of Willem) also has the father "ved Kirchen", but other baptisms do not. This "ved Kirchen" seems therefore not to mean that the marriage or baptism took place at the church, but that the person somehow was connected to the church or living near the church. So what is the significance of "ved Kirchen" in Halse parish in the 1740s?

Thank you all again!

Endret av Carl Geschwind
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

"Ved kirken" at that time can be regarded as a place name.  They did not use family surnames like today. People had a name, their given name, and were then identified by a fact, the patronymic (who he was son of), the address or his job. Most common was the patronymic. He was Thomassen = son of Thomas. But here he is mentioned as Salve Schomager ved Kirchen, Salve, the shoemaker, living "near the church".
"Ved kirken" at that time was near Torget, the town center. The church there burned down 1810, and the new church was built 1821 a bit further north.

Endret av Harald Søren Storaker
Stavefeil
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider