Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Hans Hanssen Tvedt (Tvet?) b.1837

Kyle Lerfald
 Del

Hello All,  

I was directed to this marvelous forum by a person at Reddit in the Genealogy forum. I'm writing in English as my Norwegian is execrable/nonexistant. I'm trying to find out more about Hans Hanssen;

This is the gentleman I want, right here. Born 1837, in Tvedt i Gjerdrum. https://digitalarkivet.no/en/view/327/pv00000002648771

And this is still him; but I note the birthplace is now Nannestad. https://digitalarkivet.no/en/census/person/pf01038333000733

I know Gjerdrum is also in Akershus, like Nannestad, but Nannestad is miles from Gjerdrum. I know Hans is deceased by 1886, or at least out of the picture as Berit is listed as a widow when she comes to America. But no baptism, or death or confirmation do I find for Hans Tvedt. Nor can I seem to find his father, who if I'm reading this correctly from the marriage list, is Hans Knudson. 

I feel terribly dense, and would appreciate any pointers the more experienced can give. 

Many thanks in advance,

Kyle

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I've made a search at www.familysearch.org and if these persons are the one and the same, it seems as Hans Knutsen and Kari Olsdatter got their first children living in Nannestad, and later they had children when living in Gjerdrum:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bbirth_place%3Aakershus~ %2Bfather_givenname%3Ahans~ %2Bfather_surname%3Aknudsen~ %2Bmother_givenname%3Akari~ %2Bmother_surname%3Aolsdatter~

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

1 hour ago, Grethe Flood said:

I've made a search at www.familysearch.org and if these persons are the one and the same, it seems as Hans Knutsen and Kari Olsdatter got their first children living in Nannestad, and later they had children when living in Gjerdrum:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bbirth_place%3Aakershus~ %2Bfather_givenname%3Ahans~ %2Bfather_surname%3Aknudsen~ %2Bmother_givenname%3Akari~ %2Bmother_surname%3Aolsdatter~

Thank you very much! So Hans Hanssen could very well have been born in Gjerdrum, and the Nannestad also makes sense, now. 

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/6619/168

The church records concerning Beret's emigration in 1886 does not indicate that Hans was dead at that time, it can be interpreted as they both emigrated in 1886.

"Beret Sivertsdatter Lerfald, Hans Hansen's wife"

Then I find Hans Hansen and Beret Hansen in Massachusetts, Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1891 https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KGK1-T1Y

(ages are wrong but names and year of emigration are correct, so I am not sure that these are who you are looking for. If so, Hans probably died after immigration)

Name:Hans Hansen

Event Type:Immigration

Event Date:12 Aug 1886

Event Place:Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts, United States

Nationality:Norway

Birth Country:Norway

Ship Name:Steamship Gallia

Name:Beret Hansen

Event Type:Immigration

Event Date:12 Aug 1886

Event Place:Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts, United States

Nationality:Norway

Birth Country:Norway

Ship Name:Steamship Gallia

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Here is the confirmation record for Hans Hansen in Nannestad - it says that he was born on Tvedt in Gjerdrum - see 1853, entry no 8:

Akershus county, Nannestad, Holter, Bjørke in Nannestad, Parish register (official) no. I 11 (1850-1859), Confirmation 1853, Page 125
https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/530/111

This also might explain why he is listed with the birth place Nannestad in the 1865 public census. 

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

????

http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste.aspx?ft=1875&knr=1712&kenr=002&bnr=0036&lnr=00

• Tellingsår: 1875
  • Kommune: Hegra
  • Kommunenummer: 1712
  • Navn på bosted: Lerfald

Antall personer registrert på bostedet: 4. 

Navn Familie-stilling Sivil-stand Yrke Fødselsår Fødested Etnisitet
  Sivert Torstensen hf g Kaarmand m j 1810 Hegre Sogn ø. S.  
  Mali Haagensd. hans Kone g   1812 Hegre Sogn ø. S.  
  Karelius Hanssen Dattersøn   Forsørges af Moderen Arbeider paa et Bryggeri i Trondhjem 1865 Hegre Sogn ø. S.  
  Hans Hanssen Dattersøn   Forsørges af Moderen 1869 Hegre Sogn ø. S.  

Here Karelius Hansen and Hans Hansen are listed with their grandparents on their maternal side. The census tells that it's the mother of the boys, who is economically supporting them. She is working in a brewery in Trondheim. 

Karelius, 1865

Hans, 1869

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you all- So the fact is that in 1875 Beret is in Trondheim with Karelius and Hans... and 11 years later appears to be going to America with her entire inmmediate family- family lore was that she was widowed by the time she came to Minnesota (1886), and the earliest US census is 1900 that I've found for her (listed as a widow). So it appears I have another puzzle. Where- or did- Hans die, I wonder? Obviously, not Norway- else there would have been a death record. Did they split up, and why was it her supporting the children- did they just split up with Beret using the fiction that Hans died to prevent social stigma....Unfortunately, Karelius (anglicized to Charlie) died in 1957, and Hans in 1953; neither married, no children. My father remembers them both from his childhood, but only has a child's memory of them- they were colorful characters. 

Many, many thanks!

Kyle

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

21 minutter siden, Kyle Lerfald skrev:

So the fact is that in 1875 Beret is in Trondheim with Karelius and Hans.

Sorry if I did not explain it better. Beret is working in Trondheim according to the census, but both her sons are listed with Beret's parents. The sons are living with their maternal grandparents and Beret has left the boys and is working in a brewery in Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag county. 

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

When did Karelius (Charles) and Hans arrive in the US and where in the US did they live and die?

Endret av Grethe Flood
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

17 minutes ago, Grethe Flood said:

Sorry if I did not explain it better. Beret is working in Trondheim according to the census, but both her sons are listed with Beret's parents. The sons are living with their maternal grandparents and Beret has left the boys and is working in a brewery in Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag county. 

You explained it perfectly- I didn't think or read properly. 

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

4 minutes ago, Grethe Flood said:

When did Karelius (Charles) and Hans arrive in the US and where in the US did they live and die?

Karelius in 1884, Hans 1885 per the 1900 Census, so before Beret and Hans. Both worked originally as express drivers (horses), and Hans would stay with driving through the rest of his life, horses to trucks. Charles worked first as a driver, then as a clerk at a hardware store-Gardner Hardware- which only closed in 2016. Beret, Karelius and Hans lived in Minneapolis, and sponsored Olaf Lerfald (Beret's nephew, my Grandfather) to come to Minneapolis in 1909/1910. They continued to live in Minneapolis- first the Seward neighborhood,  then Ceder Riverside (adjacent), where Beret died in 1915. The boys moved near Mound, Minnesota, by Lake Minnetonka, and lived together in the village of Island Park. Hans died of a heart attack at age 84, and tragically, Charles died when their home caught fire (it was described as "an old tar-paper shack" by my Uncle) at age 92. They're buried in Crystal, Minnesota. I hope to identify if they're in any old family photos, but with only my Dad left, it may not be possible. 

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hans Hansen Tvedt - entry no 17 in 1885:

Nord-Trøndelag fylke, Øvre Stjørdal (Hegra) i Øvre Stjørdal, Ministerialbok nr. 703A03 (1880-1892), Utflyttede 1884-1887, Side 202
URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20070423690264.jpg 

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

???

Olaf Lerfald

United States Census, 1930
Name Olaf Lerfald
Event Type Census
Event Date 1930
Event Place Minneapolis (Districts 1-250), Hennepin, Minnesota, United States
Gender Male
Age 37
Marital Status Single
Race White
Race (Original) White
Relationship to Head of Household Lodger
Relationship to Head of Household (Original) Lodger
Birth Year (Estimated) 1893
Birthplace Norway
Immigration Year 1910
Father's Birthplace Norway
Mother's Birthplace Norway
Sheet Letter A
Sheet Number 13
Household
Role
Sex
Josie Milby Head F 58 Norway
Thomas J Kearns Lodger M 42 Minnesota
Anna B Kearns Niece F 43 Minnesota
Olaf Lerfald Lodger M 37 Norway
  • Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

That's Grandfather, absolutely!  My Grandmother is next to him- born in the US but family from Bergen (Aksel Reusch) and Risor (Ragna Torgusen Reusch). Both passed before I was born, but I met my Great Aunt Edith Reusch when I was a child. She was a force of Nature in the same way Ragna was reputed to be. 

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

1 hour ago, Grethe Flood said:

???

Olaf Lerfald

United States Census, 1930
Name Olaf Lerfald
Event Type Census
Event Date 1930
Event Place Minneapolis (Districts 1-250), Hennepin, Minnesota, United States
Gender Male
Age 37
Marital Status Single
Race White
Race (Original) White
Relationship to Head of Household Lodger
Relationship to Head of Household (Original) Lodger
Birth Year (Estimated) 1893
Birthplace Norway
Immigration Year 1910
Father's Birthplace Norway
Mother's Birthplace Norway
Sheet Letter A
Sheet Number 13
Household
Role
Sex
Josie Milby Head F 58 Norway
Thomas J Kearns Lodger M 42 Minnesota
Anna B Kearns Niece F 43 Minnesota
Olaf Lerfald Lodger M 37 Norway

And now I see the 1930 date. Yes, that makes sense. He'd have been working at the U of M at that point, I think- he was a caretaker (maintenance) of the Bell Museum and the grounds around the building. Met Grandmother in 1932, married in '33. Uncle John born '34, Dad (Robert) in 1937, and Warren in '41. He passed away in 1953, same year as Hans. 

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

He took the Håkon VII to (Edit) Trondheim then a ship to the UK, and S S Cymric from Liverpool (sailed 12 Jun. 1909) arriving in Boston. Quite a journey they all made. 

Endret av Kyle Lerfald
misstatement
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Emigranter fra Trondheim 1867-1930
  År Side Linjenr Lp.nr. Ny gruppe Reisedato Førenamn Etternamn Sivilstand Fam. stilling Yrke Kjønn Fødd dato Bustad Reisemål Linje Skip Billett Føremål Reiseløyve Merknad
1909 138 33 2779 1 02.06.1909 Olaf Lerfald ug   Visergut m 1893 Thjem Minneapolis, Minn. Stjerne Håkon 7 Bill. bet. i Amerika a Meldt

http://gda.arkivverket.no/cgi-win/webcens.exe?slag=visbase&sidenr=1&filnamn=EMITROND&gardpostnr=140750&merk=140750#ovre

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider