Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Olia Halverson born 1846

Susan Derry
 Del

På 24.2.2018 den 1.06, Randi Elisabeth Haugros skrev:

Have you found her in census 1860 or 1870?

Er dette vår Olea som bor (og arbeider?) hos en Erickson-familie i Wisconsin ved Census 1870 (kilde FS)

Name:    Olea Halvosdatter
Event Type:    Census
Event Year:    1870
Event Place:    Wisconsin, United States
Race:    White
Race (Original):    W
Birth Year (Estimated):    1841-1842
Birthplace:    Norway
Page Number:    14
Household ID:    91
Line Number:    16
Affiliate Name:    The U.S. National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
Affiliate Publication Number:    M593
GS Film number:    000553208
Digital Folder Number:    004268454
Image Number:    00485

Household    Role    Sex    Age    Birthplace
Carrie Erickson        F    52    Norway
Andrew Erickson        M    24    Norway
Gule Erickson        M    21    Norway
Johan Erickson        M    13    Wisconsin
Hans Erickson        M    12    Wisconsin
Annie Erickson        F    10    Wisconsin
Johan A Erickson        M    8    Wisconsin
Ole Erickson        M    6    Wisconsin
Olea Halvosdatter        F    28    Norway

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The same passenger list transcribed at Norway Heritage: http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_list.asp?jo=640&ps=2660

The strange thing is that I'm unable to find any of these children baptized anywhere in the districts suitable for Drammen as the port of departure. I thought that all parishes in those districts was included at FamilySearch in the 1830s and 40s. Those on the passenger list with other surnames the just patronymics seams to belong to parishes not too far from Drammen.

I found a few candidates for the parents, but, unfortunately, all of them could be excluded of various reasons, as too young, too old or still in Norway after 1850.

The closest match I found was this couple #6, married 8 Dec. 1836 at Eiker, Buskerud as Ole Halvorsen and Elen Karine Nilsdatter:

SAKO, Eiker kirkebøker, F/Fa/L0013a: Parish register (official) no. 13A, 1832-1845, p. 343

Quick link: https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/kb20051121010721

Eiker is next to Drammen. Ole's address was Loesmoen and Elen's Vestfossen. Both were perviously unmarried. A serious problem with this couple is that it is impossible to find that they had any children baptized neither in Eiker nor in the surroundings. Neither are any of them registered as buried there up to 1845 (when the searchable burial records end).

Ole was born in 1807 to Halvor Jacobsen Loesmoen and wife Birte Olsdatter: https://digitalarkivet.no/view/255/pd00000003167753

Elen Karine was born in 1809 to Nils Nilsen and wife Dorthe Arnesdatter of Vestfossen: https://digitalarkivet.no/view/255/pd00000003168586

Vestfossen is an small and ancient industrial village or town: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vestfossen

Except from Nils/Niels none of the names here fit very well to the family heading for America in 1850. They are also a few years older than the stated age of the couple who headed for America in 1850. My opinion is that this is NOT the right couple.

So where were they hiding? Did the ship dock in other harbors as well on her way to NYC, picking up addition passengers?

Even if it's very unlikely, is there any chance that Olea and her family belonged to a religious minority "boycotting" the Lutheran Church of Norway? Susan, do you know anyting about the religious history of this family in the USA? The reason why this is so unlikely is that until 1845 all citizens born into the Church were prohibited from leaving it. However, along the coast there were a few very small groups, mainly the Quakers, boycotting the Church and, consequently, faced religious repression. As a result they became the pioneers in the Norwegian emigration to the USA, starting i 1825.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

12 minutter siden, Susan Derry skrev:

Do you have a link for the

Links are embedded into the blue letters, to avoid the http-address crossing several lines.

Please note: the younger sister was 5 years old, the family emigrated 1850. These facts could have been incorrectly remembered as emigration year 1855.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

2 minutes ago, Astrid Kaardal Halleraker said:

Links are embedded into the blue letters, to avoid the http-address crossing several lines.

Please note: the younger sister was 5 years old, the family emigrated 1850. These facts could have been incorrectly remembered as emigration year 1855.

I tried clicking those, but it is only linked to the partial image. I just wondered if there is a way to see the whole image of the probate record. When I search online, I have only found an image of the outside of the file (not super helpful). :)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Susan, it was as I thought, when Olea's oldest daughter was baptzed in a Lutheran Church, I suppose that the possibility that she and her family belonged to any other denomination could be ruled out.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

29 minutter siden, Susan Derry skrev:

tried clicking those

User guide. An FS user account is perhaps necessary. Open the link.
Scroll down page to record named Olea Thorleson. Open the record.
Click/open the link labeled View the original document. First a
blank folder front is displayed. Then you click go to next page,
in all 71 in number, then the first page of the probate is displayed.

To scroll down the image, drag the page upwards.

This is the youngest child baptized in Norway

image.png.1baf4cd44e463e22122e50d718b2d145.png

Possibly incorrectly transcribed to Guri (or a nickname?) at The Norwegian Heritage Site, links given above.

Endret av Astrid Kaardal Halleraker
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

# 32 

You must have acsess to Ancestry se Betzy Oline's christening.

Betsy Oline Reiersón
Event Type: Baptism 
Birth Date: 30 Mar 1872
Baptism Date: 23 Jul 1872
Baptism Place: Osseo, Wisconsin, USA
Father: Tollef Reiersón
Mother: Olia Halversón
Church Name: Evanger Lutheran Church
Church Location: Independence, Wisconsin

Susan, have you ever heard of other surnames related to Olia?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Astrid, as I told in #36: This family has already been sorted out.

The parents married on 12 Apr. 1839: https://media.digitalarkivet.no/kb20061219620171

He was 24 1/2 years old and born in the parish of Åmot, Østerdalen. Her age was 34.

Children:

Annette Emilie, born 4 Feb. 1839, bapt. 5 May 1839: https://media.digitalarkivet.no/kb20061219610502

Anton Emil, born 21 June 1840, bapt. 20 June 1841: https://media.digitalarkivet.no/kb20061219610383

Hendriette Olava, born 11 Oct. 1842, bapt. 15 Jan. 1843: https://media.digitalarkivet.no/kb20061219610535

Olava Elise, born 3 May 1844, bapt. 17 Nov. 1844: https://media.digitalarkivet.no/kb20061219610551

How do you in any way find that these names are corresponding with those on the passenger list?

They are:

Ole Halvorsen, 40

Ellen, 36

Christian, 16

Niels, 12

Ragnhild, 10

Ingeborg, 9

Olivia, 8

Guri, 5

One way that this perhaps could be solved is if it's possible to locate any of the other family members in the USA.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The only other surname I am aware of for Olia is her married name Thoreson or Torrisen. It is possible that her Father's surname may have been Halvorson. Although she left an artifact that suggested that her initials were OHD.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

11 minutter siden, Dag Thorsdalen skrev:

How do you in any way find that these names are corresponding with those on the passenger list?

Jeg skulle akkurat til å lese gjennom emnet helt fra begynnelsen, Dere andre jobber så mye fortere enn meg, beklager hvis mine innlegg skaper krøll.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Astrid #43; nei, du lager ikke krøll på noen måte. Jeg prøver bare å sortere ut kandidater slik at vi slipper å bruke mer energi på de som kan utelukkes.

In English: Astrid; #43 no, you are not messing things up in any way. What I'm trying to do is to sort out candidates so that we don't have to use any more energy on those who may be excluded.

I believe that the initials OHD, mentioned again by Susan in #41, suggesting that her name was Olea Halvorsdatter - rather than Olea Halvorsen - is essential. The consequence is probably that it was NOT her we found on the 1850 passenger list from Drammen.

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

We know very little about her lifespan in the new country. Immigration, confirmation, siblings, marriage, censuses, obituary, grave etc. This makes matters complicated.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

A careful review of the established facts can't do any harm. In the posting "Artifacts ... " Susan wrote this below image " This one appears to have the initials OHD on it. I assume the OH is for Olia Halversdatter. Not sure what the D would represent. "

Is this tool inherited from Norway, or carved in USA and made as a gift for Olea Halvorsdtr before she got married? Are you certain of the Halver-name, or is it possibly Haldor, Halvard or similar.

Endret av Astrid Kaardal Halleraker
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Those are great questions. For several of them I do not have the answer. Olia was listed as Olia Halverson on the birth record for her oldest daughter Betsy Oline Reierson (Thoreson), born in March 1872. 

On her 2nd daughter, Julia Nicholson (married name)'s death record she was listed as Olia Halvorson. Julia died in 1963. 

Olia shows up in the 1880 US Census in Dover, Buffalo, Wisconsin, US as Olea Torrison. She lists her birth place and her father and mother's birth place as Norway. Estimated birth year according to the census is 1845. 

Her granddaughter, Tilda Thoreson, in a person history gave Olia birth as July 1846 (this was written when Tilda was 72 years old). 

The 1901 Canadian Census lists Olia as widowed, Lutheran and estimates her birth year as 1847. She immigrated to Canada in 1892 and was living with her stepson Robert Thoreson. 

She also appears living with Robert in the 1906 Saskatchewan Census. This census puts her age at 65 years, which would mean a birth year of 1841. 

I have not been able to find Olia in US Census records for 1860 or 1870. I have also not yet found her marriage record to Tollof Reierson (Thoreson), which according to family records was on 18 May 1871. 

Four of her children were born in Dover, Buffalo, Wisconsin, United States and her youngest daughter was born in 1883 in Beadle, South Dakota, United States.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

7 timer siden, Astrid Kaardal Halleraker skrev:

carved in USA and made as a gift for Olea Halvorsdtr

OK, so we agree it's Halvor and not Håvard, Hadvar or similar. You see, often the Norwegian immigrants changed their surname or more accuratly, started using surname in the new world. We have made many attempts finding Halvorsdatter. Perhaps the initials are misleading, in that her father was a Halvorson. When the family arrived they decided to use Halvorson as  surname. But her fathers christian name is unknown, assuming it's something else than Halvor.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

12 timer siden, Dag Thorsdalen skrev:

The strange thing is that I'm unable to find any of these children baptized anywhere in the districts suitable for Drammen as the port of departure.

Very important question. Earlier I have seen example of emigrants from Norway departing from Stockholm Sweden, they chose the cheapest tickets perhaps. The family group listed on the passanger list is definitly real, but some of the children could have been step-children.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider