Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Magnus Christian Fritzner (døde 1742) - en mulig forbindelse til kongelige forfedre?

Carl-Henry Geschwind
 Del

Magnus Fritzner ble født i Pressburg, Øvre Ungarn (nå Bratislava, Slovakia), rundt 1690 (se begravelsesrekord fra 9. November 1742, lenke her). Han var en offiser i oberst Ulrik Christian Kruses dragonregiment og opptrådte heroisk på Høland i 1716 (se Norsk Biografisk Leksikon (1929), bd. 4, s. 301, lenke her).

Ifølge Nannestad bygdebok II:55 var Fritzner en søstersønn av Kruse. Et lignende forhold har blitt hevdet i publiserte slektsforskninger av slekten Christie og Greve.

Jeg vil finne bevis på at Fritzner faktisk var nevøen til Kruse.

Hvorfor er dette viktig? Ifølge Danmarks Adels Aarbog (se finnholbek.dk) var Ulrik Christian Kruse en 11. generasjons etterkommer av Erik Christoffersen Løvenbalk, uekte sønn av Christoffer II, konge i Danmark, og gjennom ham av alle kongerikene fra det tidlige middelalderlige Europa, går tilbake til Karl den store.

Magnus Fritzner var i sin tur forfader til en rekke prester og andre i slike fremtredende familier som Heiberg, Daae og Greve. Dermed, hvis Magnus Fritzner var nevø av Ulrik Christian Kruse, ville disse familiene har en dokumentert kongelig herkomst tilbake til Karl den store.

Er forholdet plausibelt? Danmarks Adels Aarbog 1900: 252 hevder at Ulrik Christians søster Else Mogensdatter Kruse var gift med en
fænrik Fritzner før ekteskapet med Emmerich Halbei i 1695. Videre var Ulrik Christian Kruse i det danske regimentet som ble sendt for å kjempe mot tyrkerne i Ungarn 1692 til 1698. De hadde gått gjennom Bratislava på vei i 1692, og ga en fornuftig forklaring på hvordan Magnus Fritzner ble født der.

Hva trengs nå? (1) Danmarks Adels Aarbog 1900: 251 nevner at Dorothea Mogensdatter Kruse, søster til Ulrik Christian og Else Mogensdatter, som hadde gått inn i Roskilde kloster i 1700, døde der i 1727 og hadde skifte etter han den 13. juni 1729. Jeg har ikke kunnet finn det skifte på Dansk Riksarkiv. Kan noen hjelpe meg med å finne den skifte online (jeg skjønner at dette er et spørsmål om dansk snarere enn norsk arkivmateriale)?

(2) Er det noen omtale av Magnus Fritzner som Ulrik Christian Kruses nevø i registre relatert til den store nordlige krigen? Jeg har ikke tilgang her i Amerika til Bernt Moe's Actstykker til den norske krigshistorie. Kan noen peke meg til hvor jeg kan finne relevante militære arkivmateriale online?

Takk på forhånd for all hjelp!

Hvis min norske (via Google Translate) er for fryktelig, her er den engelske originalen:

Magnus Fritzner was born in Pressburg, Upper Hungary (now Bratislava, Slovakia), about 1690. He was an officer in Colonel Ulrik Christian Kruse's dragoon regiment and acted heroically at Høland in 1716.

According to the Nannestad bygdebok, Fritzner was a nephew of Kruse. A similar relationship has been claimed in published genealogies of the Christie and Greve families.

I want to find proof that Fritzner was in fact the nephew of Kruse.

Why is this important? According to the Danmarks Adels Aarbog, Ulrik Christian Kruse was an 11th-generation descendant of Erik Christoffersen Løvenbalk, illegitimate son of Christoffer II, King of Denmark, and through him of all of the royalty of early medieval Europe, going back to Charlemagne.

Magnus Fritzner in turn was the ancestor of a number of priests and others in such prominent families as the Heiberg, Daae, and Greve. Thus, if Magnus Fritzner was the nephew of Ulrik Christian Kruse, these families would have a documented royal ancestry back to Charlemagne.

Is the relationship plausible? Danmarks Adels Aarbog 1900:252 asserts that Ulrik Christian's sister Else Mogensdatter Kruse was married to a fænrik Fritzner before her marriage to Emmerich Halbei in 1695. Moreover, Ulrik Christian Kruse was in the Danish regiment that was sent to fight against the Turks in Hungary 1692 to 1698. They would have passed through Bratislava on the way in 1692, giving a reasonable explanation of how Magnus Fritzner came to be born there.

What is needed now? (1) Danmarks Adels Aarbog 1900:251 mentions that Dorothea Mogensdatter Kruse, sister of Ulrik Christian and Else Mogensdatter, who had entered Roskilde monastery in 1700, died there in 1727 and had a probate on 13 June 1729. I have not been able to find that probate at the Danish Riksarkivet. Can anyone help me find that probate online (I realize this is a question about Danish rather than Norwegian archival material)?

(2) Is there any mention of Magnus Fritzner as Ulrik Christian Kruse's nephew in records relating to the Great Northern War? I do not have access here in America to Bernt Moe's Actstykker. Can anyone point me to where I can find relevant military records online?

Thank you in advance for all your help!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 4 måneder senere...

The following is an update on my research concerning Magnus Christian Fritzner. This is for the benefit primarily of those others in the future who might be interested in him, but I would be interested in feedback on whether my conclusions are sound. For background on Magnus and his family, see http://genealogy.geschwind.fastmail.com/Greve/#Greve12.

Main conclusion: There is a good likelihood that Magnus Christian was indeed the son of Else Mogensdatter Kruse; however, this cannot be demonstrated until the 1729 probate of her sister Dorothea can be found. But this does not provide a direct connection to royal ancestors, as there are other undocumented (and undocumentable) links further up in the family tree.

Detailed discussion:

1) As far as I can tell, the first person to assert in print that Magnus Christian Fritzner was the grandnephew of Ulrik Christian Kruse was W. H. Christie, on p. 71 of his Genealogiske Optegnelser om Slægten Christie i Norge 1650-1890 (Bergen: 1909).  This assertion was then repeated by C. O. Munthe in the Norsk Biografisk Leksikon,  by O. Ingstad on p. 124 of his Slekten Greve, and by Birger Kirkeby on p. 55 of vol. II of the Nannestad Bygdebok. The assertion cannot be based on actual churchbook evidence, as Magnus was only 25 years younger than the oldest known sister of Ulrik; if anything, Magnus was a nephew rather than a grandnephew of Ulrik. The assertion is also not based on material in military records, as neither Bernt Moe, in his extensive discussion of the March 1716 fighting at Høland (which includes substantial genealogical detail on both Ulrik and Magnus), nor Olai Ovenstad in his thorough biographical dictionary of Norwegian military officers so much as hints at a relationship between the two.

2) So where did W. H. Christie get his idea that Magnus was related to Ulrik? I think it was based on family tradition. Note that Aadel Christie (a daughter-in-law of Magnus) was a first cousin of two of W. H. Christie's grandparents. And it seems to me that Aadel and her husband Johan Fritzner at least believed that Johan's father Magnus was related to the Kruses. Consider the naming of their children (they had 15). Johan had a penchant for naming some of his later children after powerful members of his family, including bishop Niels Dorph (his grand-uncle) and bishop Eiler Hagerup (brother-in-law of his wife). Johan also named two of his sons (the first of whom died in infancy) "Otto Thott Fritzner", after Otto Thott, the Danish nobleman who had married Ulrik Kruse's only daughter. As far as I can tell, Johan is the only Norwegian of his generation to have named a child "Otto Thott". This naming to me indicates that Johan believed himself related to Otto Thott (which would be the case if Johan's father Magnus was indeed the cousin of Otto's wife).

3) Besides this argument from family tradition (dating to Magnus's son Johan and his wife Aadel, who I believe passed it on to W. H. Christie), there is a separate line of argument. This relates to the article on the Kruse family in the Danmarks Adels Aarbog. This article (see p. 252 of vol. 17 (1900)) stated that Else Kruse (sister of Ulrik Christian Kruse) had been married first to a Fritzner and then to Emmerich Leo Halbei. The identification of her first husband as "Fritzner" was not based on churchbook evidence, because there was actually a mis-identification: in 1900 the Aarbog speculated that the first husband had been Second Lieutenant Christoffer Fritzner (born in Livland and still living in 1703), but in a correction in 1923 (p. 552) the Aarbog pointed out that the first husband could not have been Christoffer, as newly-discovered churchbook evidence showed that the second marriage occurred in 1695.

4) So on what basis did the Aarbog assert that Else's first husband was a Fritzner? The only reference provided in 1900 was to the 13 June 1729 probate of Else's unmarried and childless sister Dorothea, who had died 2 Oct 1727 in Roskilde (where she had joined the Roskilde nunnery for noblewomen in 1700). According to the Aarbog, Else had died before the probate. Thus, it is very likely that Dorothea's probate listed among her heirs the children of her dead sister Else, including a child or children with the last name Fritzner as well as Else's children with her surviving husband Emmerich Halbei. Unfortunately, because the Aarbog in this article was not interested in the children of female members of the Kruse family, Else's children were not listed; thus, there is no confirmation here that Else was the mother of Magnus Christian Fritzner. And even more unfortunately, I have not been able to find the 1729 probate of Dorothea Mogensdatter Kruse (a four-hour search by the staff of the Danish National Archives also failed to turn it up).

5) Naming practices within Magnus's family are consistent with the idea that he was the son of Else. His own name is the Norwegian equivalent of the Danish name of Else and Ulrik's father Mogens. Magnus named his first child (a daughter) Else Marie (the Else after his presumed mother, the Marie after his wife's mother), his second child (a son) Uldrik Christian (after his presumed uncle Ulrik), and his fourth child (his second daughter) Christine Dorothea (in part after his presumed aunt Dorothea).

6) Both his burial record from 1742 as well as a military roster from 1731 state that Magnus was born in Pressburg (at that time the capital of Hapsburg-controlled Hungary; now Bratislava, the capital of Slovakia). The burial record gave an age of 52, suggesting a birth around 1690; the military roster gave an age of 44, suggesting a birth around 1687. In order to explain how Magnus could have been born in Pressburg if he was the scion of a Danish noble family it would be necessary to assume that his mother Else traveled from Denmark to Pressburg. It is known that Else's brother Ulrik was an officer with the Danish military force that was contracted out to the Hapsburgs in 1692 to fight the Turks in Hungary, and it is extremely likely that Ulrik passed through Pressburg on his way to the front that year. It is conceivable that Else, pregnant with Magnus, might have accompanied her brother (and possibly her first husband) at this time; the discrepancy between the year 1692 and the birth-year implied by the records from 1731 and 1742 is not beyond what is sometimes found in records from this time. Alternatively, it is possible that Else accompanied her husband (whose position in the Danish military is unknown) to the Hungarian front on an earlier occasion.

7) So what we have is a family tradition (which can be dated to Magnus's son Johan) that Magnus was related to Ulrik Kruse; an inference that a 1729 probate (which cannot now be located) listed a Fritzner as the child of Else Kruse; naming patterns within Magnus's family that are consistent with being related to the Kruses; and an explanation for how Magnus could have been born in Pressburg if he was the son of Else Kruse. To me this all adds up to a plausible hypothesis, although it cannot be regarded as confirmed until Magnus's name is actually seen in the 1729 probate.

8 ) Even if Magnus is documented as the son of Else Kruse, though, there still does not exist a documented lineage back to early medieval royalty (and in particular to Charlemagne). The Danmarks Adels Aarbog (as put into database form at finnholbek.dk) shows three separate links between Else Kruse and royalty. But one of these links (through the princes of Rügen) is completely contrary to present-day understanding of the genealogy of those princes. And the other two links (through a supposed daughter of Peder Ludvigsen Everstein and through the father of Niels Eriksen Løvenbalk, who is supposed to be an illegitimate son of Danish king Christoffer II) are without documentation and very likely cannot be substantiated.

Endret av Carl-Henry Geschwind
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider