Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Martinus Johan Hansen b1865

Stephen Brown
 Del

gday,

i am still trying to join 2 branches of our family tree and a cousins, i am gradually crossing names of possible links due to naming and dates, my latest queries for more / any information on the following person:

Martinus Johan Hansen
b1865 in Saltdal, Nordland, Norway

his parents are:

Hans Michael Ellingson b1833
Karen Oline Monsdatter b 1843

many thanks appreciate the help

steve

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Steve:

I know this is somewhat off-topic from what you were asking about in this post, but I read through some of your previous posts and took a look at your ancestry.au tree. I note that your tree has Jack Brown/Carl Hanson's birthplace as Fredrikstad. However, in looking at the Australian naturalization record you linked to in your tree, the birthplace he gives actually looks like Fredrikshald (now called Halden) - in the same county (fylke) of Østfold, but in the very southeast corner of it.  In the naturalization record he also gives his birthdate as 5 August 1885, while in his enlistment papers in September 1915 he stated he was 30 years and 7 months old (which implies a birthdate of February 1885). In one of your earlier posts you said that the name "Carl Hanson" came from an old newspaper article - can you provide a link or photo of that?

I have looked through the church book for Fredrikshald for 1885, but unfortunately did not find a baptism for a male born on 5 August.

The naturalization papers also state that he arrived in 1906 in Rockhampton, Qld., on a sail ship (apparently from Bristol, and thus not straight from Norway - who knows how long he had spent in England first). The ship passenger lists on ancestry.au for Queensland 1906 apparently include only a couple of arrivals in Brisbane. I don't know what the state of records in Australia is for this (being American myself) - is it possible that there are passenger lists for Rockhampton arrivals in 1906 in the local archives that have not yet been digitized and that might give you more information on this guy?

--Carl

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gday Carl,

many thanks for correcting his birth place i was close tho :) i was aware of the difference that is between the 2 papers but still could not find anything for that period, the ship he came over on was a ship carrying salt, any searching i have done leads to no records for crew members and nothing about him or the ship Hermes being a passenger unfortunately, please find attached the news article, have tried to get court records to see if they have anymore info but so far nothing...

i have a dna link to 5th cousins in North Dakota, he is a Hansen so we are trying to link across the tree which is not as easy as i thought it may be..his ancesters are from the north west of Norway Saltdal, Nordland, any ways all the best take care and stay safe

steve

nla.news-article170779664.4.pdf

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gday Ann-Mary,

many thanks for that information, it was another door of opportunity closed on us linking the 2 families, time to select another hopeful and try again, once again many thanks its appreciated...i think i should subscribe to Geni or MyHeritage as there seems to be info im not getting through Ancestry.com, take care and stay safe

steve

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider