Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Artifacts - What region of Norway?

Susan Derry
 Del

I am posting two images of artifacts created by Olia Halversdatter, born July 1846 (according to her daughter's memory). Olia came to the US with her parents when she was around 5 years old. I am wondering if the artifacts are typical of any part of Norway and if they might give any indication of which area in Norway that Olia may have been born? The first is a beaded bag. The second is a small hand held thing used with yarn. 

Bag beaded by Grandmother 2.jpg

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

This one appears to have the initials OHD on it. I assume the OH is for Olia Halversdatter. Not sure what the D would represent. 

OHD Yarn winder 2.jpg

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The letters are probably, as you suggest, her initials.  The D might stand for Datter (daughter): Olia Halvers Datter/Dotter/Daatter.  

It might also be the first letter of the name of the farm where she was born, but my guess is Datter.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I agree with Lene Benedickte. OHD  = Olia Halversdatter/Halvorsdatter.

I think that item is a kind of key.

Maybe that bag is part of a folk costume.

Olia came to the US with her parents when she was around 5 years old  = 1851-52

To find out more we like to know the name of Olias parents?

Is Halversen her maiden name?

Endret av Leif B. Mathiesen
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hei Susan!

Such beautiful items!

If you let me, I can post the picture of the embroidery in forums which deals with  norwegian handcraft/textile/bunader (folk costumes).

You also might want to try to contact them yourself; 

http://www.bunadogfolkedrakt.no/ (the norwegian institute for folk costumes)

https://www.heimenhusfliden.no/  

In case you don't understand the norwegian writing on their sites, I will be glad to help.

Good luck.

Regards Marit Miskov, Sandefjord, Norge

• Liker 2
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Link to your previous question about Olia Halvorsdatter:

Do you know if Olia had older or younger siblings?

Have you found her in census 1860 or 1870?

Do you know about relatives of Olia?

You write that Olia marries in 1871. 

Do you have a source of marriage? If not, try to find it. 

It may contain information about the parents.

• Liker 2
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Yes Halversdatter is Olia's maiden name. And I unfortunately have no information on the names of her parents. 

Do you know if Olia had older or younger siblings? I do not have any names of her siblings.

Have you found her in census 1860 or 1870? Not yet. 

Do you know about relatives of Olia? Only by marriage. 

You write that Olia marries in 1871.  The only source I have for the marriage of Olia to Tollof Thoreson (possibly his name at the time of their marriage may have been Reierson) is in Tilda Thoreson's (Olia and Tollof's youngest daughter) written history. I have not been able to find the marriage record to confirm this. 

Do you have a source of marriage? If not, try to find it. 

It may contain information about the parents.

Endret av Susan Derry
  • Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you presenting nice handwork :) OHD is 100% for shure Olivia Halvers/Halvorsdatter, ( daughter of Halver/Halvor, so you have the firstname of here father), the letter D is not the first letter of a farm, if it had been a farm involved, a fourth letter would have been after the third.  This was they way initialized themselves. The clip for illustration is from a locker i have in my possesions, EGS was Embret GjermundSon and his wife Siri ToresDatter, in this case, son of Gjermund and daughter of Tore.

050 kopi.JPG

• Liker 3
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...

Hi Susan!

I sent the picture of the embroidered pocket to the Norwegian institute of bunad/folk costumes and asked if they could help. 

This was their answer: (from Ragni Engstrøm Nilsen, konservator Norsk institutt for bunad og folkedrakt)

"Thank you for your interesting inquiry. This kind of work does not look like a part of any norwegian folk costume. The answer must be found at the North American continent. The pearl embroideries have a great resemblance to the work of the native Métis people in Canada and the USA. The Métis nation have combined the cultural expressions  of native americans and european immigrants. They are known for their flower pearl embroideries. As I understand, these artifacts were traded across the North America and also Europe. I advice Susan Derry to further investigate this in USA/Canada and the rich cultural heritage of pearl embroidery which is found in these countries. Surely, she will find out if my theory is correct. Search for "american pearl embroidery" in google and you can find similar items. 

Here you can find more about the Métis people:

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Metis-people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54ipBLZJ6L4  (film youtube)"

In norwegian:

"Takk for henvendelsen, den var interessant. Dette perlearbeidet har ingen tilknytning til norsk draktskikk, bunad eller håndarbeid. Svaret finnes på det nord-amerikanske kontinentet. Perlebroderiene på lommen ligner veldig på perlebroderiene til folkegruppen Métis i Canada og USA. Nasjonen Mètis har kombinert kulturelle uttrykk fra amerikanske urinnvånere og europeiske innvandrere. De er kjent for sine perlearbeider med blomstermotiver. Så vidt jeg forstår, ble disse perlearbeidene også handlet med over hele Nord-Amerika og til Europa. Jeg vil oppfordre Susan Derry til å gjøre flere undersøkelser i USA/Canada og den rike kulturarven for perlearbeider der. Da vil hun sikkert finne ut om mine antagelser kan stemme. Gjennom et google-søk på «american beadwork» finner man lignende arbeider.  

Her kan du finne mer informasjon om Métis:

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Metis-people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54ipBLZJ6L4  (film på youtube)"

This was not a direct answer to the question of where in Norway the family of Olia Halversdatter came from... But nice to know? 

Hilsen Marit Miskov 

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider