Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Looking for my great great grandfather - can someone please help jeg snakker ikke norsk?!

TexasCourtney04
 Del

Hello!  My name is Courtney and I live in Dallas, Texas.  I'm trying to piece together my Norwegian ancestry.  My great grandfather (Haakon Olai Johansen) immigrated to the US when he was 16 (in 1907).  He came over with his mother and her husband (who was very much a father to him but not his biological father) and their children.  I want to find Haakon's biological father.  In searching the archives I found his baptismal record that shows his accurate birthdate (13 Jun 1891) and his mothers name, my great grandmother, (Elise Amelie Kristiansdatter) and his birth father (Johan Edvardsen Grande) from the Vikna Parish: Nord-Trondelag church records.  I'm assuming that Grande is a farm name.  My great great grandmother Elise (or Elsie in some records) married Petter K Lortsen on 19 Feb 1900.  I'm trying to figure out if Haakon's father died between 1890-1900 or if he and Elise separated and he lived on to have other children that I might be able to seek out.  Any help would be very much appreciated!  Feel free to email me.  Takk skal du ha!

Courtney

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Johan A. Edvardsen Grande emigrated from the port of Trondheim February 27th 1907. His occupation was fishing.

His destination was Portland, Oregon.

Johan Arnt was born January 13th 1864 in Ørland parish, Sør-Trøndelag county. His parents were not married. Mother was Oline Olsdatter, Udstrand (Utstrand in modern spelling). His father was Edvard Eriksen, Weblungsnesset (Veblungsnes), Møre og Romsdal county.

Edvard Eriksen Veblungsnes was born May 18th 1842 in Grytten parish, Møre og Romsdal county. Parents: Erik Fredriksen Veblungsnes and Anne Tostensdatter.

There is a farm Grande in Ørland. It is located close to the Ørland air base.

Tove DJ

Endret av Tove D. Johansen
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you so much!  So is it your understanding that Johan Arnt Edvardsen is the same person as the Johan Edvardsen Grande that is listed in Haakon's baptismal record?  That was my assumption but I wasn't sure.  Thank you so much for your reply!

Courtney

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Yes, that is my understanding.

Interesting that he also emigrated the same year.

Elise A. Lorntsen emigrated April 10th 1907 together with the children Harald, Elen, Margit and Lovise. Their destination was Boston, where she travelled to join her husband.

Haakon Olai emigrated June 5th 1907 with destination Boston. He travelled together with Kristian L. Hansen Nordø (grandfather?), Lovise M. Nordø (grandmother?), Alfred J. Kristiansen (uncle, brother of Elise?) and Aagot Nordø born 1907 (have not been able to find out how she is related, if the y.o.b. is correct she must have been a small baby)

Tove DJ

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you so much for your help!  I think I might have many lines of relatives, some Norwegian and some who may have immigrated, that may have no idea that they have blood relations with my family!  Looking forward to tracking them down.  Thanks and Gig 'em y'all and wish you the best :)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

At page 274 of the Ørlandsboka # 1, a local history book with author Inge Rian, 'your' Johan Arnt Edvardsen is mentioned as being raised by foster parents Iver Pedersen and wife Olava Mortensdatter, living at farm Grande/Rædergården both at Census 1865 and 1875.  The author says that Johan Arnt emigrated to USA and that he died there.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Peter Kornelius Lorentsen emigrated May 2nd 1906. His destination was Sloan, Iowa. He travelled together with Hartvig Rudolf Kristiansen (must be Elise's brother). Hartvig's destination was also Sloan, Iowa. Sloan is located in Woodbury county.

Spelling of names can differ: Peter, Petter or even Peder.  Lorntsen, Lorentsen, Lorensen, Lorentzen.

Tove DJ

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Christian Ludvig Hansen was married December 1st 1869 (in Nærøy parish) to Lovise Margrethe Olsdatter. 

Christian Ludvig was born February 21st 1844 (in Nærøy parish). Parents:  Hans Christiansen Hellesø and Elisabeth Pedersdatter.

Tove DJ

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider