Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Knud Kyostolfsen Jysereid Gudbrands & Kari Pederdatter

Morgan Hanson
 Del

I'm looking for any and all information regarding Knud Kyostolfsen Jysereid Gudbrands born 1717 Drangedal and his wife Kari Pederdatter born abt 1714. They are said to have married Sept 6 1738 in Drangedal.

I'm interested in confirming how many children they have. My grandfather has 6 DNA matches who all share Knud, and Kari as a common ancestor. Meaning these people are also my ancestors, and I just have to figure out how my great-great grandfather descends from them. 

I believe they had 9 children, from what I can gather. All sons with the last name Knudsen/Gudbrands. 
Lars      (1739-1739)

Infant   (1740-1740)

Lars      (1741-1812)

Ole        (1742-1823)

Soren    (1744-1802)

Peder   (1750-1802)

Gunder (1753-1813)

Kystolf (1756-1843)

Abraham (1763-1845)

Was it common in Norway during the time to give away newborns if a family already had many children? I'm worried there might be more births out there.

Again, I appreciate any help regarding this. I know one of these children have to be the grandparent/great-grandparent of my great-great grandpa Hans born in 1868.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

14 timer siden, Morgan Hanson skrev:

Meaning these people are also my ancestors, and I just have to figure out how my great-great grandfather descends from them. 

What is the full name of your great-great grandfather? Have you posted any inquiries in the User's Form (Brukerforum) about him? Is this the Hans in question?

Where was your great great grandfather Hans born? To able to link Hans to any of the Jysereid children, we would need more information. 

Endret av Grethe Flood
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

2 hours ago, Grethe Flood said:

What is the full name of your great-great grandfather? Have you posted any inquiries in the User's Form (Brukerforum) about him? Is this the Hans in question?

Where was your great great grandfather Hans born? To able to link Hans to any of the Jysereid children, we would need more information. 

Yes, this is the Hans I descend from. Unfortunately the lack of information I have is the problem itself. I don't know where he was born, or any useful information. It was all lost with his death, and my distant cousins who share Hans as a common ancestor didn't even know of his existence until I contacted them a year ago. My grandfather simply has no idea. He never thought to ask his own father (Hans' son) about any of that before he passed away. The only story we have is "The young men would change their names depending on the farm they lived." that's all my grandfather could tell me, no actual name itself.

The only way to figure out the connection is to work down from each branch until I find a person who has a child born in 1868, ideally with the same name "Hans Christian Hanson" as my great-great grandfather. With my research I've found SO many emigrants to Canada with changed names, I wouldn't be surprised if he was born with a completely different surname.

I've been trying to figure out how to use quite a few websites that have birth indexes for Drangedal, to see if I could find a matching name and year, but I cannot make my way past a lot of the language barrier. It's frustrating trying to try and find a database that's actually searchable either.

58 minutes ago, Anfinn Bernaas said:

Jysereid er i Drangedal.

Yes, I did end up finding that out along the way. Tordal, and Bø are other locations I've come across often, while connecting DNA matches to one another. Googling Jysereid takes me to an unnamed location.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Jysereid is a farm in Drangedal. In the local history book "Drangedal med Tørdal ei bygdesoge" the farm is called Josurheid. This book tells that Olav Tjostolvsen b. 1616 d.1712 owned part of the farm. He had two sons Tjostolv and Knut.  But Olav had debts and had to sell his part to Adeler in Kragerø, like many other farmers in Drangedal. His son Tjosltolv stayed on, he was farming Jysereid but the farm was owned by the daughter of Adeler. Tjostolv had three sons, Knut, Olav and Lars. He had to leave the farm in his old age, as the farm was sold to Torjus Torgeirson. His son Knut Tjostolvson is probably the same person as your Knut Kyostolfsen. Tjostolv is the same name as Kyostolf, but the version Tjostolv is common in Drangedal. To look further you should search for Knut Tjostolvsen. Jysereid / Gudbrands refers to places he lived, he probably moved from Jysereid to the senter of Drangedal commonly referred to as Gudbrands. There is several books documenting people from Drangedal. They are called "Slekstregister for Drangedal". They are not available on net, you have to stay in the National Library to open a digital version. But there may be persons in this forum that own these books and can search for Knut Tjostolvsen.

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider