Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Interpretation of phrase in 1624 odelsjordebok

Carl-Henry Geschwind
 Del

In the 1624 odelsjordebok for Sogn (https://www.digitalarkivet.no/jo10051103293106, right-hand side, 3rd entry), I find the following:  "Elling Hoppersta angaff att hand følger med Giffting som hanns hustru befeller bekommitt och beholder hindis liffs tid, i Hopperstad . . . [listing of properties follows]"

I read this as saying that Elling Hopperstad by virtue of his marriage has power over the property his wife commands during her lifetime. Would it be proper to conclude that this is a widow's portion the (unnamed) wife received from her late first husband, and Elling is her second husband?

The property in question in 1615 had belonged to a Hermund Hopperstad, who paid odelsskatt on it in 1614 but is no longer listed in the 1617 tax list. In the 1617 tax list both a Joenn Hopperstad and this Elling Hopperstad show up, but Elling's share (which, as the above entry from the odelsjordebok shows, is actually his wife's) is much larger than Joenn's. Joenn's patronym begins with an H (from his seal in the 1624 odelsjordebok), and he very likely was the son of Hermund Hopperstad. Beginning 1635 the property is taxed to Joenn Hopperstad's son Hermund Jonsson Hopperstad, but the amount is much larger. At the same time, Elling Hopperstad disappears from the odelsskatt listings. I want to interpret this as meaning that, after Hermund (the elder's) death in c. 1616 the property was split into a widow's half and another half that went to various children, that Elling married the widow and thus was taxed on the widow's half from 1617 until the early 1630s, and that after the widow's death in the early 1630s a portion of the property went to Hermund Jonsson, her grandson via the now-dead Joenn Hopperstad.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

"med Giffting" skal inn der det står ein hake, "^";  og så er det eit par lesefeil. 

Eg les det sånn:

"Elling Hoppersta Angaff Att hand følger som hanns hustru haffver bekommitt med Giffting och beholder hindis Liffs tid, i Hoppersta . . . " 

Elling si kone har fått dette godset på livstid i tidlegare ekteskap.

• Takk 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider