Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Marie and Elise Olson, Trondheim

Jay Hagfeldt
 Del

Hi all,

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction to find my great grandmother Marie Olsen and her sister Elise Olsen.

The Information I have for them is this:

Marie married John Hagfeldt in Minneapolis, Minnesota on July 4, 1891.  Her last name on the marriage certificate was spelled Olson.

Witnesses to the marriage were Elise and Peter Olson.  Elise was Marie's sister.  The death certificates for Marie and Elise both list Trondheim as their birth place.  The death certificate for Marie lists her birth date as 14 Aug 1871.  A passport application for Elise list's Elise's birth date as 30 March 1859.  

The problem is that I cannot seem to find a record of their birth.  I searched the 1865 and 1875 censuses of Sor-Trondelag for their names and birth dates, but didn't find them.  

Both of my sources list Trondheim as their place of birth.  Would this refer to the municipality of Trondheim?  I believe there are about 10 parishes in Trondheim municipality.  Or could it refer to the general area?  I thought I found their family in Agdenes (Vernes) parish, but I don't think that was the correct family now.  My sources also indicate that Marie emigrated in 1890 or 1891 and the Elise emigrated in 1890, but I was not able to find a record of their passage in the Christania or Trondheim passenger lists.

Any thoughts for further research would be greatly appreciated.  My next step would be to review all the birth/baptism church records for each parish in Trondheim.

Thanks and regards.

Jay Hagfeldt

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

In the 1875-census, there are some Elise Olsdatter b. 1859. This one lives in Frol. (Levanger):

bosted3.gif Frol  Olsdatter, Elise  Fremgjente  1859  Alstadh. S. Skogn Pr.  Restad
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Elise, b. 8. Marts 1859 in Alstahaug, Nordland:

Nordland fylke, Alstahaug, Tjøtta, Herøy, Sandnessjøen (Stamnes) i Alstahaug, Tjøtta, Herøy, Ministerialbok nr. 830A10 (1831-1865), Fødte og døpte 1859, Side 268
Permanent bilde-ID: kb20050427020808
Brukslenke for sidevisning:
https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20050427020o808

Endret av Anne-Lise Hansen
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Unsure about what is meant by Alstah. S. and Skogn pr.gj., because Alstahaug is in Nordland and Skogn is in Nord-Trøndelag...

(Well, learned that Alstadhaug also is in Skogn..)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Bingo!

Elise Rebekka, b. 30. Marts 1859:

Nord-Trøndelag fylke, Alstadhaug i Skogn, Ministerialbok nr. 717A07 /1 (1850-1862), Fødte og døpte 1859, Side 69
Permanent bilde-ID: kb20050510010512
Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20050510010512

(Nr. 17)

• Liker 2
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Grethe Marie Aug. 15 1871

Nord-Trøndelag fylke, Alstadhaug i Skogn, Ministerialbok nr. 717A08 /1 (1863-1877), Fødte og døpte 1872, Side 75
Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20050510010930

Endret av Åsbjørg Susort
  • Liker 2
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Certificate dated Dec. 2. 1884, migrated to Sweden. No 31 - 34 rigth page; Grethe Marie, parents and brother Ove Martin

Nord-Trøndelag county, Alstadhaug in Skogn, Parish register (official) no. 717A09 (1878-1898), Out-migrated 1885, Page 296
Quick link: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070423660853

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you all so much.

I've been trying to track my Great grandmother Marie back to Norway off and on for about 25 years.  I need to review this, but it fits some of my sources.  Family lore says that Marie knew John Hagfeldt before she came over to the United States.  The emigration record from Trondheim shows that she resided in Sweden which fits.  Also, Marie and Elise's ages fit.  I am overwhelmed.  Thank you so much for your help.  

I'll review your sources.

Tusen tak.

Jay

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

All of this information opens a large window of research for me. 

Marie Olsen married John Hagfeldt in Minneapolis in 1891. John was born and raised in Sweden. I suspected for many years that John and Marie knew each other before they came to America. They we’re married on 4 July 1891, barely 2 months after Marie arrived. John arrived in America in October 1890. 

Johns whereabouts in Sweden from about 1883 to October 1890 are not known. He was originally from Östmark , Värmland. He went to Västernorrland in 1881, but we lose track of him by 1883. He went by his birth name of Jan Olsen Ströte in Sweden (his father was Norwegian and from Hedmark, his father and mother didn’t marry, his mother raised him), but took his mother’s  name of Högfeldt when he left for America. 

Now that I know that Marie’s family went to Sweden, I can search for that family in Swedish records. Hopefully I’ll be able to find Marie’s family and Jan Olsen Ströte!

I can’t express how thankful I am for all of your help. 

With great regards. 

Jay Hagfeldt

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Grethe Marie and Ove Martin with brother Petter/Peder census 1890:

Olssen, Greta Maria

Folkräkningar (Sveriges befolkning) 1890

Namn
Olssen, Greta Maria
Hemförsamling
Mattmars annex
Hemort
Kluk
Kontrakt
Jemtland vestra
Län
Jämtland
Födelseår
Födelseförsamling
Stördalen,Norge
Yrke
Piga
Civilstånd
Ogift
Kön
Kvinna
Famstkod
Ensamstående
Familj nr
Sida
Rad
Upprättad av
Riksarkivet SVAR-Svensk arkivinformation

Om hushållet

Personer i hushållet
Fam. nr 1
Olssen Hojstoval, Petter, f. 1852 i Stördalen,Norge, Hemmansegare

Persdotter, Märet, f. 1845 i Alsen Jämtlands län

Johan, f. 1871 i Alsen Jämtlands län

Olof, f. 1880 i Alsen Jämtlands län

Märtha, f. 1882 i Mattmar Jämtlands län

Brita, f. 1882 i Mattmar Jämtlands län

Anna Kristina, f. 1885 i Mattmar Jämtlands län

Per August, f. 1887 i Mattmar Jämtlands län
Fam. nr 2
Olssen, Ove Martin, f. 1868 i Stördalen,Norge, Dräng
Fam. nr 3
Olssen, Greta Maria, f. 1871 i Stördalen,Norge, Piga

Census 1865  - brother Peder
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

On 2/19/2019 at 4:55 PM, Carl-Henry Geschwind said:

Thanks for providing a link for that map.  Genealogy is more interesting when you can place your ancestors at a specific spot at a specific time.  

It seems the Elise and Grethe Marie's family moved out of the area before 1875 and must have moved back in before 1884.  I can't find the family on the 1875 Norway Census, except for Elise who Anne-Lise Hansen was able to find.  I think they went to Sweden, maybe without informing the priest before they left.  Or maybe they were just missed during the census, or I'm missing the spelling some how and not getting a hit.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Regards.

Jay

P.S. I take that back.  I've found their family on the 1875 census.  They are at a place called Geburstad in Levager sokn.

Endret av Jay Hagfeldt
added information
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

John Olsen, Elise’s and Marie’s brother, born 1849:

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/255/pd00000012746468

Peder Olsen, born in 1852, Hegra:

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/view/255/pd00000012933436

See Census 1890, Mattmar, Jämtland.

Their family in Census 1865:

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/census/person/pf01038337001164

Endret av Randi Elisabeth Haugros
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Ole Johnsen and Beret Rollulfsdatter married in 1850:

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/327/pv00000002575521

Birth and baptism og Beret Rollufsdatter, 1823, Østerås in Hegra:

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/255/pd00000011455048

Birth and baptism og Ole Johnsen, 1821, Østerås, Hegra:

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/255/pd00000013103505

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Ove Martin Olsen:

From Swedish Death Index 1901-2009

Olsen, Ove Martin

Trångsviken

Dead 10/28/1938.

Registered in Alsen (Jämtlands län, Jämtland).

Born 3/8/1868 in Norge.

Married man (6/24/1916).

Corresponding parishes as of Jan 1, 2010:
Alsen, Krokoms kn (Jämtlands län, Jämtland)

Parish of birth in the records:
Norge

Source records:
DB, FS

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

4 hours ago, Randi Elisabeth Haugros said:

Ove Martin Olsen:

From Swedish Death Index 1901-2009

Olsen, Ove Martin

Trångsviken

Dead 10/28/1938.

Registered in Alsen (Jämtlands län, Jämtland).

Born 3/8/1868 in Norge.

Married man (6/24/1916).

Corresponding parishes as of Jan 1, 2010:
Alsen, Krokoms kn (Jämtlands län, Jämtland)

Parish of birth in the records:
Norge

Source records:
DB, FS

Thank you for all your help.

I was having a difficult time finding Ole Johnsen and Beret Rollufsdatter's marriage record.

Beret's last name is sometimes spelled Rollufsdatter and other times spelled Rollaugsdatter.

Do you know if the pronunciation is the same for both spellings?

Regards.

Jay

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

52 minutes ago, Jay Hagfeldt said:

Thank you for all your help.

I was having a difficult time finding Ole Johnsen and Beret Rollufsdatter's marriage record.

Beret's last name is sometimes spelled Rollufsdatter and other times spelled Rollaugsdatter.

Do you know if the pronunciation is the same for both spellings?

Regards.

Jay

There is a birth record for an Ole Johnsen dated 11? February 1822, baptized 3 March, son of John Olsen and Karen Andersdatter of Ingstadgredit? in I believe Hegra parish.  Could this be his birth record?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider