Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Parents of Niels Johanssen - baptised 1729 Hafslo

Dale Tuvey
 Del

In Familysearch the parents of Niels Johanssen, baptized 20-July-1729 show as Johannes Nilson and Johannes Saeten.  Looking at the Hafslo parish register on the digitalarkivet site for 1717-1755 (Pg 25) I find the baptism record for Niels Johanssen, but don't see a mention of either of the parents, not to mention the fact that both parents listed by Familysearch appear to be male.  I thought the mother might be Johanna, but I can't recognize any of the names listed as saying Johanna.  Perhaps someone can help with what this entry actually says and what it might mean.  Incidently, one unknown source in some material I inheirited from my family shows what I assume to be a farm name of Trooijen associated with Niels.  Perhaps someone could help clarify that reference as I can not find Trooijen as farm name in the area.  Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi.

I can't find your Niels on page 25 ( Hafslo)

Sogn og Fjordane fylke, Hafslo, Solvorn, Joranger, Fet, Urnes i Hafslo, Ministerialbok nr. A 1 (1717-1755), Kronologisk liste 1731, Side 25
Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070305360616 

Endret av Leif B. Mathiesen
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

6 hours ago, Dale Tuvey said:

Looking at the Hafslo parish register on the digitalarkivet site for 1717-1755 (Pg 25) I find the baptism record for Niels Johanssen

The record is actually on p. 24 (left-hand side, 3rd from top). I read it as, in translation: "same day [i.e., 20 July], baptised Johannes Sæten's son, named Niels, witnesses [godparents] Hans Hillestad, Erich Tverberg, [and] Lasse Øvrelie's wife."

It is likely that Johannes Nilson and Johannes Saeten in familysearch refer to the same person (one with patronym, the other with farm name).

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you Leif and Carl-Henry.  I am sorry for the error in listing the page number, but glad you were able to find it Carl-Henry and thank you so much for the translation and interpretation.   Decifering that old script is a real guessing game for me, complicated by the need to translate and not knowing what information to expect the writer is going to provide.  Since I wrote the original post I did find one other reference to the father noted as Johannes Saeten.  However, it seems more likely that Saeten is a reference to a farm name and Nilson was the patronymic as one might expect.  It looks like Nils may be as far as I can go in discovering this line.  Thanks again.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Dear Dale,

Being the author of the local History Books for Hafslo (part of Luster Co., Norway) I can probably help you a little further.

The farm name is a misspelling of Saetre, Nils was a son of Johannes Nilsson Lillesaetre (1700-    ) and Ingeborg Paulsdotter (1697-    ).  They were both natives of Hafslo, but what happened to them after the son Nils was born, I never managed to figure out!

Endret av Lars E. Øyane
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

1 time siden, Lars E. Øyane skrev:

The farm name is a misspelling of Saetre, Nils was a son of Johannes Nilsson Lillesaetre (1700-    ) and Ingeborg Paulsdotter (1697-    ).  They were both natives of Hafslo, but what happened to them after the son Nils was born, I never managed to figure out!

?? https://www.digitalarkivet.no/view/267/pg00000000385063

https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/LTTL-DZK

Endret av Sven Hjortland
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Once again thanks, now to Lars and Sven.  You have pushed back my knowledge one more generation and provided additional information as well.  I appreciate it very much.  Lars, I have several more lines to research in Sogn of Fjordane and I'm sure you can be of help when I get stuck.  Are your history book(s) available for purchase?  Perhaps it (or they) can be a wealth of information for me.  How are they organized?  I have relatives from Luster, Naustdal, Laedal, Sogndal and probably others as well as many more from Hafslo.  If there are other references besides church books that would be particularly helpful I would appreciate knowing about them.  In particular, are there bygdeboks that are available on line.  Are your book(s) bygdeboks?  Thanks again for this and in advance for any contribution anyone can make.  This is a fabulous resource!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I notice that Sven found some interesting online information about this family.  It is very likely Ingeborg Pauldotter indeed died at Uri (Heggestad) in 1775.  She had a cousin who resided there, so maybe that's why she died there.  Maybe Johannes died quite young...?

As far as Nils Johannesson's children are concerned, the online tree shows one Ole Nillson Borlaug (1745-1805), but he was definitely not part of «our» Nils' family!  «Our» Nils also had a son Ole Nilsson (1754-1818), who took over the home farm at Hagen (Sviggum) in Hafslo!

Yes, my books are the Bygdebooks for Luster and Hafslo most of which are available for purchase at Luster kommune (County) in Gaupne, Norway.  I am not aware that any of the area bygdebooks are available online.  Most of them are organized telling about the various families living there as far back as can be traced and described according to an official local classic numbering system.

Hoping this will be of some help to you...

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider