Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Parents of Heinrich Sigismund Hassius, Oberbergamtsforvalter (died c. 1698)

Carl-Henry Geschwind
 Del

10 timer siden, Stig Nyberg skrev:

About the burial Mar 12 1669: It took place from Christiania cathedral, but the
words "til ager" (to Aker) indicates that she was actually buried i Aker.

But who was she? I tend to believe that she was Anna Catharina Irgens after all. It
seems that the rich and ruthless owner of the Røros copper mines, Joachim Irgens,
tried to establish connections through  marriage to important persons within the
Norwegian mining industry. Hassius was one such person, Jacob Mathias Tax another.
The latter often critizised the conditions at Røros, so in order to "tame" him
Irgens may have tried to include him in the family. This may explain why Tax called
Hassius "brother-in-law" in 1668. There exists a beautiful picture of Tax' wife
Christina. Her suit is supposed to be from northern Germany. Itzehoe would fit
nicely...

I've 'got the impression' that Anna Catharina Irgens was a daughter of Joachim Irgens' younger brother Johannes, 2nd 'Direktør ved Røros gruver', who married Elisabeth Sofie Anna Henningsdatter Arnisæus (from Haderslev) in Izehoe in 1637. His brother Joachim was maried to Cornelia de Bickers.

I don't quite see in which way the relations described above (a.o. Henrich Hassius attempted 'tamed' by means of marrying him to A. C. Irgens) explains why Jacob Mathias Tax would call Hassius his 'brother-in-law' in 1668.

Endret av Per Nermo
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

On p. 11 of Langberg's Oplysinger om Slegten Irgens (1929) it says about Elisabeth Arnisæus: "Der var skifte efter hende 18. dec. 1694". If there was indeed a probate on this date, it would probably list Hassius's children with Anna Catharina Irgens among her heirs. But I have been unable to find this skifte - it is not in the Skifteprotokoll for Røros bergrett (1690-1702), and it is not in the Kortregister til skiftedesignasjoner for Gauldal fogderi (1690-1715).

Does anyone know where I might find Elisabeth Arnisæus's skifte?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Answer to #26: Yes, Anna was a daughter of Joachims brother Johannes. Joachim relied on the family he had in Røros. He made the brother of Johannes' widow, Christian Arnisæus, director. He promoted his deceased brother's oldest son Henning as new "bergmester Nordafjells" after Tax. Henning had in several years been Joachims "spy" against Tax. To me, Joachim's nepotism is rather obvious. Hassius was married to his niece Anna, and if Tax really was Hassius' brother-in-law, this may indicate that Tax too was married into the same family, where the plutocrat Joachim Irgens ruled supreme.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

37 minutter siden, Stig Nyberg skrev:

Answer to #26: Yes, Anna was a daughter of Joachims brother Johannes. Joachim relied on the family he had in Røros. He made the brother of Johannes' widow, Christian Arnisæus, director. He promoted his deceased brother's oldest son Henning as new "bergmester Nordafjells" after Tax. Henning had in several years been Joachims "spy" against Tax. To me, Joachim's nepotism is rather obvious. Hassius was married to his niece Anna, and if Tax really was Hassius' brother-in-law, this may indicate that Tax too was married into the same family, where the plutocrat Joachim Irgens ruled supreme.

Is it possible that Jacob Tax' wife Christina Hohendorff (born appr. 1632) could be a sister or half sister of Henrich Sigismund Hassius (born appr. 1628) ?

Endret av Per Nermo
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

29 minutes ago, Per Nermo said:

Is it possible that Jacob Tax' wife Christina Hohendorff (born appr. 1632) could be a sister or half sister of Henrich Sigismund Hassius (born appr. 1628) ?

I think unlikely. Use of family names in Saxony was already quite standard at that time, so any child of Johannes Hassius (Henrich Sigismund's father) would have been named Hassius (or the German equivalent Haß or Haße), not Hohendorff. Henrich Sigismund's mother Elisabeth Tüntzel was probably born around 1602 and died in 1638 after having born 10 children with Johannes Hassius, so she is unlikely to have had children in an earlier marriage. I do not know the names of all of Henrich Sigismund's siblings (found funeral sermons for two - Johann Sigismund Hassius [uncle of the later Lillienpalm] and Susanna Elisabeth Hassius - and a funeral poem by a third, Christopher Sigismund Hassius), so there is the possibility that Christina might have been originally a Hassius and then became Christina Hohendorff through a first marriage (that is, she was a widow when she married Jacob Tax) - but that is speculative at this point.

I do find that the term Schwager in German at this time (like the equivalent term svoger in Norwegian) was not as strictly applied as it is today - that is, not necessarily brother-in-law, but just somehow related by marriage.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Christina was also named Hogendorp I see, that sounds Dutch to me. There was a Christina van Hogendorp who became widow around the time our Christina gave birth to the son Brostrup in Norway. Estimated years do not seem accurate.

https://www.geni.com/people/Christina-van-Hogendorp/6000000018880202190

Nobody seems to know what became of this Dutch widow.

- Could it be that our Christina was a relative of Joachim Irgens´wife, Cornelia de Bickers, who also was Dutch?

- Could it be that the widow moved to relatives in Norway?

- Could it be that these two ladies are the same person?

It could explain the close relation that obviously existed between Irgens/Hassius and Tax/Hogendorp.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

We have, in Christina's own words, that Henning Irgens is her "Oheimb" (uncle, or
some other male relative). See second and third line from top. This is a part of her
transportation of her deceased husbands share of the Klebu copper mines to Henning
Irgens. This document (which is a copy of the original) is from 1670 and confirmed
by her husband's brother Tobias Tax.HJ_Xstinas_Oheim.thumb.jpg.30aa93186e404682ad85433db0c15ecf.jpg

• Liker 3
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

43 minutes ago, Stig Nyberg said:

We have, in Christina's own words, that Henning Irgens is her "Oheimb" (uncle, or
some other male relative).

The most common use of the word "Oheim" in Germany at the time was as "mother's brother" (morbror). Taken literally, this would mean that Christina's mother was a sister of Henning Irgens. But given that Henning was born 1637 and Christina c. 1632, that seems highly unlikely. The most likely explanation to me is that Christina's mother may have been either a (previously unknown) sister of Joachim and Johann Irgens/Jürgens (that is, daughter of Heinrich Jürgens) or a (previously unknown) sister of Elisabeth and Christian Arnisæus (that is, daughter of Henning Arnisæus).

In either case, Christina would have been a cousin (not niece) to Henning Irgens and to Anna Catharina Irgens (married to Heinrich Sigismund Hassius). So the "svogerskap" between Tax and Hassius would have been that Tax's wife was the cousin of Hassius's wife.

• Liker 2
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

https://www.geni.com/people/Anna-Catharina/6000000003206288710?through=6000000007328872897

Geni.com has this line between Anna Catharina Johannesdatter Irgens and me, see pic. I very much doubt it´s correct. Any comments?

My Cathrine Haas was a daughter of Heinrich Haas, that´s an fact. This Haas family came from Kursachsen to Kongsberg in 1629 and later to Kvikne and Røros and Heinrich Haas/Haes is said to be of the old mining family Hasse/Haes in Freiberg. But they could be of the same Haas family as Hassius in Freiberg of course.

Skjermbilde 2019-05-08 kl. 22.37.36.png

Endret av Odd Prytz
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

3 minutes ago, Odd Prytz said:

This Haas family came from Kursachsen to Kongsberg in 1629 and later to Kvikne and Røros and Heinrich Haas/Haes is said to be of the old mining family Hasse/Haes in Freiberg. But they could be of the same Haas family as Hassius in Freiberg of course.

Three things:

1) Langberg's Oplysninger om Slegten Irgens (https://www.nb.no/items/URN:NBN:no-nb_digibok_2016100428002) lists on p. 80 the six children of Anna Catharina Irgens, wife of Heinrich Sigismund Hassius. I believe this is based on the 1694 probate of Anna Catharina's mother Elisabeth Arnisæus, who died after Anna Catharina and thus would have had Anna Catharina's children among her heirs (the probate is mentioned on p. 11 of that book, though I have not seen it). No Katrine Henriksdatter is listed there - so yes, I also think the geni.com line is incorrect.

2) Heinrich Sigismund Hassius was not from an old mining family. His father Johann Hassius was a laywer, his grandfather Stephan Haß was an estate owner. It appears that Heinrich spent some years as a youth working for the mint in Dresden, and that was his main qualification. Once he came to Norway he did spend a few years as hytteforvalter in Røros, but from 1656 he was Guardein of the Mynt in Christiania (and, according to Deichman, even after he became Oberbergamtforvalter he was mostly in charge of the mint in Christiania). Brünnich, in his 1826 history of Kongsberg Sølvverk, several times repeats accusations by Schlanbusch and other mining officials around 1685/1690 that Hassius knew nothing about mining.

3) Haas/Haase/Hase (with one "s") and Haß/Hass (with two "s") are two different names in German. Hase is the German name for rabbit ("hare" in Norwegian), and is a quite common family name (I have seen several coats-of-arms for Haas/Haase families with a rabbit in it - in fact, my own grandmother was a Haase from the Harz area). Haß literally means hate ("hat" in Norwegian); I am not sure what the origin of that is as a family name, but it is much less wide-spread than Hase/Haas.

• Liker 3
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

About #33:

I think the first alternative - that Christina came from the Irgens (Jürgens) family
- is somewhat more likely than the Arnisæus alternative. There are some indcations
that her marriage with Tax took place rather late, say 1666 or so. At that time, Tax
raised severe critizism against Christian Arnisæus, calling the treatment of the
Røros workers "tyrannic". He had strong support from "bergråd" Gabriel Marselis, an
enormously rich dutch plutocrat, and certainly a very dangerous rival of Joachim
Irgens. Irgens may have thought of how he could split this alliance. Tax was still a
batchelor, and Irgens may have thought of his niece Christina i Holstein or
somewhere else in northern Germany. She had wanted to get married, and in 1660 a
portrait was made of her in very fine clothes, which todays experts say are from the
area between Brandenburg and Netherland. At that time it was not unusual in higher
social classes to lend portaits to persons interested in marriage. Irgens may have
asked for her portrait and showed it to Tax. There is no reason to believe that
Christina was in Norway already, so it would not have been a marriage wihout the
cooperation and consent of Joachim Irgens. But people like him would not hand out
the family's females without getting something in return. Marselis may have disliked
this marriage, and the alliance with Tax may have cooled. Tax concentrated on the
mines of Ytterøya in Trondheimsfjorden during his last years.

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 5 måneder senere...