Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Grane Farm-origins and names

Larry Melander
 Del

I have been using digitalarkive records and run into a problem.  I have an ancestor named Jonn Anfinndsen (1620-1714).  The www.roysofting.com website shows him as having been born in Vefsn parish in Nordland amt.- Aneset i Vefsn.  The Oluf Rygh farm listings don't show a farm by that name but does list a farm by the name "Aanes".  When I look at census records- the 1701 census appears to show the Grane farm but not the Aanes farm.  When I look at the 1666 census- the Grane farm isn't found but I do find the Aanes farm.  Are they the same farm???

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

På 2.6.2019 den 22.20, Larry Melander skrev:

I have an ancestor named Jonn Anfinndsen (1620-1714).  The www.roysofting.com website shows him as having been born in Vefsn parish in Nordland amt.- Aneset i Vefsn.

http://www.roysofting.com/Slekt/getperson.php?personID=I4211&tree=Roy

Vefsn fjerding, Nordland county 1647 - Aanes:

1647-2.jpg

1647-1.jpg

• Liker 1
  • Takk 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Sokneprestenes manntall 1663-1666

Helgeland prosti, Salten prosti

Page 30 - there is a farm Gran in Vefsn. Here lives Anfind, age 70 (born about 1596). I wonder if Gran is the same as Grane....??? 

Nordland fylke, , Manntall nr. 35 (1664-1666), Protokollside, Side 29-30 - #76
Permanent bilde-ID: ft10041005203028
Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/ft10041005203028
Permanent bildelenke: URN:NBN:no-a1450-ft10041005203028.jpg

Endret av Grethe Flood
  • Takk 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

41 minutter siden, Grethe Flood skrev:

Sokneprestenes manntall 1663-1666

Helgeland prosti, Salten prosti

Page 30 - there is a farm Gran in Vefsn. Here lives Anfind, age 70 (born about 1596). I wonder if Gran is the same as Grane....??? 

Nordland fylke, , Manntall nr. 35 (1664-1666), Protokollside, Side 29-30 - #76
Permanent bilde-ID: ft10041005203028
Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/ft10041005203028
Permanent bildelenke: URN:NBN:no-a1450-ft10041005203028.jpg

Åneset (Aanes) i 1666 (number 42 left): https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/35531/26

• Takk 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

På 2.6.2019 den 22.20, Larry Melander skrev:

I have been using digitalarkive records and run into a problem.  I have an ancestor named Jonn Anfinndsen (1620-1714).  The www.roysofting.com website shows him as having been born in Vefsn parish in Nordland amt.- Aneset i Vefsn.  The Oluf Rygh farm listings don't show a farm by that name but does list a farm by the name "Aanes".  When I look at census records- the 1701 census appears to show the Grane farm but not the Aanes farm.  When I look at the 1666 census- the Grane farm isn't found but I do find the Aanes farm.  Are they the same farm???

I found Aanes (Åneset) in Oluf Rygh's farm list. Remember that Aa (dobbel A) is now written Å and is the last letter in the Norwegian alphabet.

It's hard to tell where Jon Annfinndsen was born. His father was a farmer at Åneset from ca 1623, and later at Grane. It's beleived that his father came from Jamtland (now Sweden).

When Jon died i 1714, people beleived he was 135 years old, according to the priest. Between 105 and 110 could is more likely:

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/16537/32 (Page right)

• Takk 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thanks so much to Geir and Grethe.  From what you sent me and my own review of the records- I believe Aanes farm is the same as the "Aneset i Vefsn"quoted in www.roysofting.com website for the birth of Jon Anfindsen.  The 1701 clearly shows Jon on the Grane farm at that time and age 80.  The 1666 census record for Aanes (Aneset) farm shows Jon at age 40.  I believe that when Jon died in 1714 he was actually about 94- more believable than the 135.  The 1666 census does show a Grane (spelled "Gren") farm and in the "Husmend" column it appears to show Anfind Jonnsen age 70 which would put his birth about 1596.  Grethe's tax record for the Aanes (Aneset) farm in 1647 appears to show Anfind subject to half the tax and the other half appears to be someone named Anders.  I wonder if this Anders is the same person as the one on the 1666 census for Grane farm showing the operator of the farm as someone named Anders?  Grethe's link to Wikapedia says rumors/legends had it that the people who cleared the land for Grane farm in the mid-1600's may have come from Aneset and also could have come from Jamtland in Sweden.  I have another excerpt taken from a family tree on the GENI website that included notes from a book that point to the Anfinndsen's coming from Jamtland.  

Father: Ole Olsen "Jamt-Ole" Mother: Ingebor Olsen

Later, and especially in the 16th to 17th centuries, a considerable move was made to Vefsen from Jämtland, and their descendants were, in several generations, called for Jämtläningen. Thus, the following farms were taken up by Jämtläninger: Grane by Jon Anfindsen, Glugvashaug by Ole Pedersen (Jämt-Ola), Nedre Laksfors by a Kolbjørn, of whom shall be mentioned later, Fellingfors, Stornærset, Røsvasholmen as well as Jämtlän- Page 12 Top.

From Bok about Storjorden by J.Ingebrigtsen

Funny how this all seems to fit together.

Again thanks so much for your help.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

På 5.6.2019 den 3.28, Larry Melander skrev:

I believe that when Jon died in 1714 he was actually about 94- more believable than the 135.

I agree that 94 is easier to believe, but the link from Geir above from the church record, indicates that he is older. I don't know if you are able to understand the record, but according to the priest, he had a conversation with Jon two years prior to his death. During their chat, Jon told that he was old enough to row his own boat during a fishing acccident that claimed over a 100 lifes. That's how they reach the conclusion that he is 135, because they thought the accident happened 1595. But as the priest says, it's more likely that the accident happened 1625 (other documents show 1624 as the likely year). In any case, the priest states that he had to be at least 16 during the storm to row his own boat, which would make his birth year no later than 1609, and his age at least 105. The story of how he survived the storm, is in my mind the best clue to his age, as the censuses of that time are known for their unreliabillty when it comes to age.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I don't speak or read Norwegian but another kind person translated it for me and I agree with your translation.  If the Vicar had a conversation with Jon 2 years before his death- that would have made Jon by my calculation at least 92 and I wonder if Jon was a little confused which would be understandable at that age.  I wonder if it is more likely that Jon was talking about his father Anfind Jonnsen who was born about 1596 and would have been of age to row his own boat and be caught in the 1625 storm.  I have found the census dates to be often unreliable but generally by perhaps 10 years or so at most- not nearly 40.  But its a guess in any case and I thank you for your help.  

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider