Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Help finding information on great grandmother

Sarah McKasson
 Del

Marriage of Ole and Ragnhild, No. 10:

SAH, Nes prestekontor, K/Ka/L0004: Parish register (official) no. 4, 1852-1886, p. 255
Archive reference SAH/PREST-020/K/Ka/L0004
Permanent image ID: kb20070122310459
Quick link: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070122310459
Permanent image-link: http://urn.digitalarkivet.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20070122310459.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Ole Syversen's confirmation, on top of page, also giving his birth date:

SAH, Nes prestekontor, K/Ka/L0003: Parish register (official) no. 3, 1827-1851, p. 207
Archive reference SAH/PREST-020/K/Ka/L0003
Permanent image ID: kb20070513050245
Quick link: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070513050245
Permanent image-link: http://urn.digitalarkivet.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20070513050245.jpg

His birth info on FamilySearch; Name:

Ole Sivertsen
Birth Date: 26 Jan 1836
Christening Date: 29 Mar 1836
Christening Place: NES,HEDMARK,NORWAY
Death Date: 1836
Father's Name: Syver Larsen
Mother's Name: Rangdi Olsdr

System Origin: Norway-ODM
GS Film Number: 124298
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C42436-2

Citing this Record
"Norway Baptisms, 1634-1927," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NHKY-GWR : 10 February 2018), Rangdi Olsdr in entry for Ole Sivertsen, 26 Jan 1836; citing ; FHL microfilm 124,298.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Can this be Ole Syversen in Census 1910? Birth year and Immigration year matches... but who is he married to, since approx 1896?

Name: Ole Maurud
Age in 1910: 74
Birth Year: abt 1836
Birthplace: Norway
Home in 1910: Popple, Clearwater, Minnesota
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1869
Relation to Head of House: Boarder
Marital status: Married
Father's Birthplace: Norway
Mother's Birthplace: Norway
Native Tongue: Norwegian
Naturalization Status: Naturalized
Able to Read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Years Married: 14
  • Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Gisele,

Can you tell me what the article is about?  Is the picture a photo of Ole’s farm?

Also, do you know how I would find the immigration document for Anne, Ole, Ragnild, and Maren?  Someone sent me a link, but I couldn’t read the names. I’m wondering if they entered through Ellis Island?

Thank you so much,

Sarah McKasson

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

2 timer siden, Sarah McKasson skrev:

Hi Gisele,

Can you tell me what the article is about?  Is the picture a photo of Ole’s farm?

Also, do you know how I would find the immigration document for Anne, Ole, Ragnild, and Maren?  Someone sent me a link, but I couldn’t read the names. I’m wondering if they entered through Ellis Island?

Thank you so much,

Sarah McKasson

Moving to America 45-48 .

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/8848/471

----

Last name: Syversen Mauro
Residence: Næs, H.
Year of birth:
Birth place:
Date of emigration: 1869-05-01
Destination: Chicago
Last name: Kristensdatter
Year of birth:
Birth place:
Last name:
Year of birth:
Birth place:
Last name:
Year of birth:
Birth place:

----

Date Ship Information
1869-05-01 S/S Ecko Hull direct

Screenshot_20190804_202632_compress78.jpg

Endret av Ann-Mary Engum
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

33 minutter siden, Sarah McKasson skrev:

Hi Gisele,

Thank you so much,

Sarah McKasson

Ellis Island:

"Established: January 1, 1892"

Ellis Island

Description

Ellis Island is a federally-owned island in New York Harbor, within the states of New York and New Jersey, that contains a museum and former immigration inspection station of the same name. Wikipedia

Established: January 1, 1892
Area: 27.5 acres (11.1 ha)
Elevation: 7 ft (2.1 m)
Built: 1900 (Main Building)
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Ole Maurud

United States Census, 1880

Name: Ole Maurud • Edit
Event Type: Census
Event Date: 1880
Event Place: Sacred Heart, Renville, Minnesota, United States
Marital Status: Married
Race: W
Relationship to Head of Household: Other
Relationship to Head of Household: Other
Birth Year (Estimated): 1836
Sheet Letter: B
Sheet Number: 91
Person Number: 8
Volume: 2
Household
Role
Sex
Self
Male
Norway
Wife
Female
Norway
Daughter
Female
Norway
Son
Male
Norway
Son
Male
Norway
Daughter
Female
Minnesota, United States
Son
Male
Minnesota, United States
Daughter
Female
Minnesota, United States
Ole Maurud
Other
Male
Norway
Other
Female
Norway

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MZ9L-S9S

View the original document.

----

?

Ole S Maurud

Minnesota State Census, 1905

Name: Ole S Maurud • Edit
Event Date: 1905, 1905
Event Place: Columbia township, Polk, Minnesota

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SP3P-QRX

Ole Maurud and Maren Maurud. 

View the original document.

----

?

Ole Maurud

United States Census, 1910

Name: Ole Maurud
Event Date: 1910
Event Place: Popple, Clearwater, Minnesota, United States
Marital Status: Married
Relationship to Head of Household: Boarder
Relationship to Head of Household: Boarder
Immigration Year: 1869
Sheet Letter: A
Sheet Number: 16
Household
Role
Sex
Head
Male
Norway
Wife
Female
Norway
Son
Male
Minnesota
Son
Male
Minnesota
Daughter
Female
Minnesota
Daughter
Female
Minnesota
Daughter
Female
Minnesota
Boarder
Female
Wisconsin
Ole Maurud
Boarder
Male
Norway

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M2LD-VY4

Ole Maurud and Maren Maurud. 

View the original document

Endret av Ann-Mary Engum
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

1 hour ago, Sarah McKasson said:

What Gisle showed there is a couple of pages from a Bygdebok - this in Norwegian is a local genealogical history that shows all the people who lived in a particular clerical district (in this case, the Nes clerical district, of which Helgøya parish is a part) and how they are related to each other, sorted by farm.

The top page (p. 285) is for Øvre [or Upper] Maurud. The highlighted portion says, in translation: "Ole Syversen Roråsen [that is where he was born], born 1835, was the next owner [of Upper Maurad]. Purchase amount was 1,950 speciedaler [Norwegian currency at the time]. The purchase closed in 1860, and Ole had the farm until 1868. He was married to widow Ragnhild Kristensdatter Olberg, born about 1817 in Trøgstad. She had children Maren (born ca. 1842) and Anne (born ca. 1850); they were daughters of a Hans. In 1869 the whole family traveled to America."  As Gisle pointed out, this paragraph does not mention son Johan; so he must have stayed behind in Vestre Toten, where he was confirmed in 1859, and not made the move to Helgøya in1860.

In the next paragraph after the highlighted one it says that Ole Halvorsen of Nedre [or Lower] Maurud bought Upper Maurud in 1868 for the sum of 1,068 speciedaler [so Ole Syversen lost quite a bit of money on this real estate]. This next owner of Upper Maurud was married to an Anne Pedersdatter. The picture shows two of the children of this Ole and Anne; however, the caption notes that they did not live at Upper Maurud, but at Hovebrud, and this is a picture of them there.

The highlighted paragraph on the lower two pages (pp. 660-661) deals with the parents of Ole Syversen, who lived at Roråsen. It reads, in translation: "Ragnhild Olsdatter Roråsen (1810-1844) was married to Syver Larsen (born 1803 at Skalmerud). They bought a certain portion of Roråsen from the guardian of Peder Olsen [Ragnhild Olsdatter's older brother, who was a drunk]. Purchase sum was 600 speciedaler. But after his wife died in 1844, and both of his parents-in-law had also died, Syver decided to sell the farm again in order better to care for his underage sons. In the probate of Ragnhild's estate the farm was valued at 1,200 speciedaler. He sold it the following year. . . . "  In other words, the Bygdebok has no idea where Ole Syversen was between 1845, when his father sold Roråsen, and 1860, when Ole bought Upper Maurud.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

21 hours ago, Sarah McKasson said:

Can you share with us the link?

In general, Norwegian immigrants (especially the ones heading to Chicago and the Midwest) were as likely to come in through Quebec (Canada) as New York. In ancestry.com, you have searchable passenger lists for both New York and Quebec; however, I have so far not found this group arriving in 1869 in either place.

Edited to add: the emigration record from Oslo indicates they shipped out on the Echo line. If this is actually the ship Echo (of the Wilson line), then the record found by Ann-Mary in post #35 above suggests that they first went from Oslo to Hull in England. This was another common route for Norwegian emigrants - Oslo to Hull, then across England to Liverpool, and then from Liverpool to some North American port. Because the passenger lists from Liverpool were written by Brits, Norwegian names are likely to be mangled (also, nationality may have been given as Swedish, since Norway at the time was in a union with Sweden and ruled by the Swedish king).

Endret av Carl-Henry Geschwind
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

17 minutter siden, Gisle Hersvik skrev:

Emigration: See #7 and #14.

I guess we have not found their immigration records in US/Canada.

Slettet

Endret av Ann-Mary Engum
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

On 8/4/2019 at 7:04 AM, Gisle Hersvik said:

Found Ole S and Rande Maurud i Sacred Heart in 1885.

They are also there in 1875 (family 2 near top on left-hand side): https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/1058/mnsc_14-0367?pid=4155325

Is it possible that this is them in Sacred Heart in the 1870 census? Family 81 on right-hand side: https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/7163/4264747_00250?pid=42109616. This family consists of Ole Marre [slurred version of Maurud?], age 34 (right age), born in Norway; female Erander [slurred version of Randi?], age 50 (should be 52), born in Norway; and female Mary [=Maren?], age 26 (should be 27), born in Norway. If this is the right family, it suggests that Anne split off from the rest of her family just after coming to America.

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

This story gets more and more fascinating.  As I mentioned before, the family lore was that Anne immigrated to the US by herself.  My grandmother never mentioned anything about Ole and the second marriage of her mother Anne.   

Anne married Alfred Carl Lindner in 1869 in St. Peter, Minn.  Sounds like she was on a mission to get to the US and marry A.C.  Do you think they could have met in Norway?  A.C. was born in Tromsoe, Norway in May 15, 1850.  I'm attaching a photo of Anne.  She is sitting to the right of my grandmother Alice, who is holding my mother.  The women to the left is my grandfather's mother.  This photo was taken in 1917 or early 1918.  Anne had no gray hair and she was about 67 years old!

My trees on Ancestry.com are public if you would like to take a look.

Once again, thank you all for doing so much research to help me piece this puzzle together.

Sarah

From left Effie Jane Johnson Alice Bolton Elizabet1.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

4 hours ago, Sarah McKasson said:

but it says it was lost at sea in 1869???

Yes, that is the same boat found by Ann-Mary in post #35. And yes, it was lost at sea - in October 1869. The run from Oslo to Hull, England, took only a couple of days, so it made a number of these runs in 1869. Your great-grandmother was on it in early May 1869, so three months before it was lost.

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

1 minute ago, Sarah McKasson said:

From Hull, did they sail to Quebec or New York?

Difficult to say. Hull is on the east coast of England, not facing the Atlantic, so they would likely first have crossed over to Liverpool on the west coast, which is where the vast majority of trans-Atlantic ships from England left. Whether they went from there to New York or to Quebec, we unfortunately don't know, as we haven't found their arrival documents yet.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

4 hours ago, Sarah McKasson said:

Do you think they could have met in Norway?

Unlikely. Tromsø is about 650 miles (as the crow flies) north of Helgøya, so this is as likely as someone from rural Indiana meeting someone from New York City - could happen, but not likely. Because St. Peter, MN, is on the route from Chicago to Sacred Heart, MN, my speculation would be that the family paused there on the way to Sacred Heart and Anne decided she liked what she saw there.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

5 hours ago, Sarah McKasson said:

Anne married Alfred Carl Lindner

I don't know whether you already have access to familysearch.org (it is free, but you have to register), but I have found their marriage record there: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-LB6F-9SZF?i=703&cc=1803974, right-hand side (not available in ancestry.com).

And from ancestry.com, if you want to add this to your tree, here Alfred and Anne are in the 1875 Minnesota census in St. Peter: https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/1058/mnsc_12-0244?pid=4067021 (look for lines 32 and 33 and then go to the right-hand side - this was indexed as Alfred and Anna Litner, together with Henry, age 1)

• Liker 2
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider