Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Palmstrom family search

Mark Peterson
 Del

Date should be June 1854.

Probably: Styrmand (mate= ship officer) or Vognmand ("wagonmaker").

Age 26  - moving from Arendal to Kragerø.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Ok thx Jon Erik Berg-Hansen, but can’t it be correct has 1849 leaving Arendal and going to Kragero? So his full name is Johan Carl Palmstrom? Thx Mark Peterson

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

2 timer siden, Jon Erik Berg-Hansen skrev:

Date should be June 1854.

Probably: Styrmand (mate= ship officer) or Vognmand ("wagonmaker").

Age 26  - moving from Arendal to Kragerø.

I will read this as "Styrmand" .

1 time siden, Mark Peterson skrev:

Ok thx Jon Erik Berg-Hansen, but can’t it be correct has 1849 leaving Arendal and going to Kragero? So his full name is Johan Carl Palmstrom? Thx Mark Peterson

Undoubtedly, this record testifies that Johan Carl Palmstrøm, 26, in April 1854 requested and got an attestation from the vicar in Arendal, for the specified reason that he was moving to Kragerø (from Arendal).

Strictly, we know only the time of the issue of the certificate, not the actual time of relocation.

And also, strictly, we do not know that he actually moved to Kragerø.  Plans may have been changed.

There might be a similar record for in-migration of him in Kragerø in 1854 or later.

Endret av Ivar S. Ertesvåg
  • Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I don't know if this is relevant, but I've found this marriage record for Gustav Palmstrøm from 1836 in Arendal. Gustav is age 32, born about 1804. I guess his occupation is carpenter - see entry no 9:

Aust-Agder county, Arendal in Arendal, Parish register (official) no. A 4 (1816-1839), Married 1836-1838, Page 202
https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/772/116

Aust-Agder fylke, Arendal i Arendal, Klokkerbok nr. B 1 (1816-1838), Viede 1836, Side 216 - to the right:

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/9402/153

Joseph Christian, 1837 - entry no 6

Aust-Agder county, Arendal in Arendal, Parish register (official) no. A 4 (1816-1839), Born and baptised 1837, Page 70
https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/772/73

Martin Andreas, 1839 - entry no 23 

Aust-Agder county, Arendal in Arendal, Parish register (official) no. A 5 (1838-1854), Born and baptised 1839, Page 3
https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/773/4735/3

Marie Cathrine, 1842 - entry no 11

Aust-Agder county, Arendal in Arendal, Parish register (official) no. A 5 (1838-1854), Born and baptised 1842, Page 57
https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/773/66

Gusta Bergithe, 1845 - entry no 19 

Aust-Agder county, Arendal in Arendal, Parish register (official) no. A 5 (1838-1854), Born and baptised 1845, Page 66
https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/773/76

https://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1865&knr=0903&kenr=0316&bnr=0317&lnr=000

• Census year: 1865
  • Municipality: Arendal
  • Municipality number: 0903
  • Street name:
  • Street number: 274
  • City district: Tyholmen
  • House owner:
  • Number of flats: 4

Number of persons in this domicile: 12

Name Family status Marital status Occupation Birth year Place of birth Ethnicity
  Ivar Terjesen   ug Huuseier Skomagermester 1817 Arendal  
  Gunerius Terjesen Logerende ug Snedkersvend 1836 Arendal  
  Martin Olsen Logerende ug Skomagersvend 1840 Mandal  
  Nicolai Bøye Logerende g Mussikus 1816 Arendal  
  Diderikke Bøye f Juuell hans Kone Logerende g   1822 Barbro  
  Julie Bøye deres Datter Logerende ug   1842 Barbro  
  Jens Bøye deres Søn ug   1854 Arendal  
  Marie Fløistad f Mortensen Logerende e Fattiglem 1821 Arendal  
  Bendikte Fløistad hendes Datter     1852 Arendal  
  Georg Fløistad hendes Søn     1853 Arendal  
  Berte Palmstrøm f Mortensen Logerende   Fattiglem 1813 Arendal  
  Augusta Palmstrøm hendes Datter     1845 Arendal

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

On 7/8/2019 at 11:34 AM, Grethe Flood said:

Here is the death and buried record for Johan Palmstrøm - he was a widower when he died, age 60:

Vest-Agder county, Kristiansand in Kristiansand, Parish register (official) no. A 9 (1821-1827), Deceased and buried 1824, Page 318
Permanent image ID: kb20070607360329
Quick link: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070607360329
Permanent image-link: http://urn.digitalarkivet.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20070607360329.jpg

Hi Grethe Flood, Ivar, Jon Erik and others. Can you find any information, like year, when Johan Peter Palmstrom came to Kristiansand, Norway? Thx Mark Peterson

Endret av Mark Peterson
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

In #2, Johan was listed as unmarried carpenter apprentice - age 39 in the 1801 census.

There's no available info in the parish records for Kristiansand (or anywhere else(?)) showing persons moving in/out of an area this early.

Endret av Jon Erik Berg-Hansen
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

So, Johan Peter Palmstrom’s father, BET Palmstrom or BET P. Almstrom, would’ve only been 15/16 when he had him in 1777 with Maja Caisa Safgren who would’ve been 22 years old. Would that be correct or reasonable? Thx Mark Peterson

Endret av Mark Peterson
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I may have overlooked something (or being a little (or very) slow on this), but how do you estimate the age of Johan Peter's father?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

15 minutes ago, Jon Erik Berg-Hansen said:

I may have overlooked something (or being a little (or very) slow on this), but how do you estimate the age of Johan Peter's father?

Well if a Johan Palmstrom was given citizenship in Kristiansand, Norway in 1801 and he was 39, then he must of been born in about 1762/3. Then if Johan Peter Palmstrom was Born in 1777 to a Bet. Palmstrom or Bet. P. Almstrom, that would make his father only 15 and his mother Maja Caisa Safgren 22. Also it looks like they weren’t married at the baptism and may of never married each other. Thx Mark Peterson

Endret av Mark Peterson
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Johan Palmstrom was listed as unmarried carpenter apprentice - age 39 in the 1801 census. So it makes him being born in about 1762/3. Also he was born in Swen. He may be the one who married Maria Catrine Pedersdatter / Staal on the 12th June 1802 in Kristiansand, Norway. So he might be the father of Peter Andreas Palmstrøm Born in 1803, who is the father of Johan Carl Palmstrom Born in 1828.

maybe I have the wrong Johan Peter that was Born in 1777 in Uppsala, Sweden.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

As far as I can see, there's no doubt that Johan Peter Palmstrøm listed in the 1801 census as born about 1762 is the one getting married in 1802 and becoming the father of Peter Andreas Palmstrøm in 1803. Given age listed in the 1801 census and the parish records may differ a few years (2-3), but not 15!

We all know this is possible, but it would be highly unusal for a 15 year old boy to become a father.

"Maybe I have the wrong Johan Peter that was Born in 1777 in Uppsala, Sweden."

That's my guess too.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Ok thx Jon Erik Berg-Hansen. I’ll have to try and see if I can find another father of a Johan Peter Palmstrom Born in about 1762/3. Maybe a father born in about 1740/44. Cheers Mark Peterson

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Some Palmström family members who have left Norway
PERSON
TRAVEL

Comment
BK no.
Name
Born
Date leaving
From
To
Johan Carl Palmstrøm
1855 (?)
Kristiansand a), Norway
Australia.

About 6 months ago the website listed that he came to Australia (VIA USA), but have since deleted that wording. I don’t know why...

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Anna Maria Palmstrom B: 1738 and married in 1759, so maybe she had a Johan Palmstrom in 1762/3 with her husband Johan Lithberg.

Her mother was Anna Cathrina Myrin and father was Johan Palmstrom.

Also looks like they were all from Skolvene, Alvsborgs, Sweden. thx Mark Peterson.

This one is no good.

Hi,

You're right -- but it appears the palmstrom.net guys have already considered that: Anna Maria P and Johan Lithberg did have a son Johan (#433 on the tree) -- born in 1759, dead in 1767. So he did not go to Norway to be a carpenter ...

Anna Maria had two younger sister that are also marginally possible: Anna Katarina, and Märta (they are all big sisters to Andreas/Anders, #33, that we have talked about above).

But (and now I'm bringing out the wet blanket again  😞 even though the name customs were not as set in stone as they are to day, it was still the norm that kids would get their name after their father. I've seen examples to the contrary, but it's rare. So without other evidence ... not probable.

Endret av Mark Peterson
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Jn. B. H. Palmstrom

B: 1744 Ånimskog Socken, Älvsborg, Sweden

😧 1820 Ånimskog Socken, Älvsborg, Sweden

Maybe this is Johan Peter Palmstrom’s father.

if not, I’m going to give up on trying to search for Johan Peter Palmstrom and his mother and father. Can’t find any other possibilities on the internet. May have to go to Sweden myself one day and go to local churches or National Archives. Thx for all your help everyone and sorry for being a pain in the backside, thx Mark Peterson

Endret av Mark Peterson
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I assure you that you're not causing anyone "a pain in the xxx." Response/answers/suggestions to your questions show that users of these two forums in Sweden and Norway are willing to use their knowledge and spend time on trying to help. You've had a total of 1365 readings in this forum, but sometimes even that's not enough! The answer(s) is out there, do get back if anything new (old) comes up!   

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider