Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Looking for Parents of my Grandfather

Kimberly Collins
 Del

I am doing my family history on ancestry and I have come to a dead end on my 2nd Great Grandfather, Hans Olas Ronning BIRTH 6 SEP 1833  Norde Froen, Gudgransdalen, Norway. Ancestry has no leads for his parent trying to further my search on this side of the family. Any help is appreciated. If you can find out who his parents are, that would be wonderful. Thank you  Kimberly Collins

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

First off, Ann-Mary is absolutely right; this belongs in the Brukernes eget forum - you will get many many more responses there!

52 minutes ago, Kimberly Collins said:

Hans Olas Ronning BIRTH 6 SEP 1833  Norde Froen, Gudgransdalen

The birth was actually 6 Sep 1832, in Frøn clerical district in Gudbrandsdalen (in Oppland fylke, or county). The birth entry is here: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070603550673 (left-hand side, # 69). Bit hard to decipher (especially if you don't know the language), but it says that Hans, a legitimate child, was born 6 Sep [1832] and baptised 7 Oct [1832]. His parents were Ole Simensen and his wife Embjor Olsdatter of Øyeneje [?] farm. The next column shows who the godparents were.

His parents can be found in the 1865 Norwegian census here: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/census/person/pf01038060000021. Ole Simensen, a cottager (small-scale farmer), was 61 years old and born in Nord-Frøn clerical district; his wife Embjor Olsdatter was 69 years old and also born in Nord-Frøn clerical district. They were living at Rødningen farm in Søthorp parish (this is probably where the family name Ronning used in America came from). Living with them was their daughter Gunild Olsdatter (age 28), Gunild's daughter Ole Johansen (age 2), and their granddaughter (more precisely "son's daughter") Oline Hansdatter (age 11). Oline's patronym (her name literally means Oline, daughter of Hans) indicates that she was the daughter of Hans Olsen, your great-great-grandfather. Hans himself was no longer living with his parents; because Hans Olsen is such a common Norwegian name, it is difficult to tell which of the many Hans Olsens living elsewhere might be him.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you so much for the information, I will look further into the information you gave me. It does help out a lot. 

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

One useful source of information in Norway are the so-called bygdebøker, or local genealogical histories that list everyone who has ever lived in a parish and how they are related to each other. I believe a bygdebok exists for Frøn clerical district, and so this might give you a lot of ancestors to Ole Simensen and Embjor Olsdatter. I do not have access to the bygdebok (as I am here in the U.S.), but if you repost this on "Brukernes eget forum", I am sure someone in Norway will be able to give you that information.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider