Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Charles Peterson info needed

Mark Peterson
 Del

Can anyone find more information on a Charles Peterson from Norway. He was in the 1850 Census ( https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-DZK3-6KY?i=9&cc=1401638&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AM491-1SN ) of El Dorado, California, USA, but I would like to know how he got there, maybe via New York or Boston aboard a ship, and information on his birth, parents, death, etc. Thx 

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...

I still can’t find any Carl, Charles or Christian Peterson/Petterson/Pettersen/Petterssen/Pettersson/Pedersen/Pederson, etc in either Arendal or the surrounding areas of Arendal in Norway, for my GG Greatfather Charles Peterson who was born between 1825-1835. He then moved to USA in about 1845-1855 and then married ( an Ellen Cavanagh who was born in about 1838/39 in Thurles, Tipperary, Ireland ) in Troy, Rensselaer, New York, USA in August 1855. Then they both arrived in Melbourne, Australia in January 1856 aboard the ship named Gertrude. So any help would be greatly appreciated, thx Mark Peterson

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Please forgive me if this information has already been suggested in a previous discussion.

Familysearch.org has the following Carl Pedersens born in Aust-Agder (the county/fylke that includes Arendal) 1825-1835 (excluding Johan Carl Pedersen, son of Peder Palmstrom, who I understand has already been ruled out):

(1) Carl Severin Pedersen, born 29 January 1825 in Vestre Moland to Peder Kiddelsen and Maren Svendsdr

(2) Carl Andreas Pedersen, born 10 October 1826 in Dybvåg to Peder Olsen and Ingeborg Marie Carlsdr

(3) Anthon Carl Pedersen, born 31 July 1828 in Risør to Peder Jensen and Andrea Georgine Juell

(4) Carl Pedersen, born 11 April 1831 in Risør to Petter Bruun and Caroline Mathilde Malmsteen (use of family names among parents suggests he probably went by Bruun)

(5) Carl Andreas Pedersen, born 6 June 1832 in Risør to Petter Dederik Andersen and Anniken Knudsdr

(6) Carl Severin Pedersen, born 12 February 1833 in Tromøy to Peder Lydersen Songe and Inger Clemetsdr

(7) Carl Johan Pedersen, born 20 September 1834 in Landvik to Petter Knudsen and Maren Tellefsdr

Of these, (6) Carl Severin Pedersen can already be ruled out, as he married 1879 in Arendal.

With the other 6 candidates, it is now a matter of seeing whether they can be ruled out (either because they died young or because they can be found in Norway after 1855)

If all of them can be ruled out, then we can move on to the Christian Pedersens, of whom there are quite a few more.

• Liker 1
  • Takk 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

(7) Carl Johan Pedersen (born 1834 in Landvik, baptised in Hommedal) can be ruled out, as he was in Norway in 1865 with a growing family: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/census/person/pf01038164000395

This leaves three candidates whom I have not (at least on first try) been able to find in Norwegian censuses:

(2) Carl Andreas Pedersen, born 10 October 1826 in Dybvåg to Peder Olsen and Ingeborg Marie Carlsdr

(3) Anthon Carl Pedersen, born 31 July 1828 in Risør to Peder Jensen and Andrea Georgine Juell

(4) Carl Pedersen, born 11 April 1831 in Risør to Petter Bruun and Caroline Mathilde Malmsteen (use of family names among parents suggests he probably went by Bruun)

Endret av Carl-Henry Geschwind
  • Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Ok, the only one that others have found for me is this one.

C Peterson

California State Census 1852

Birth. 1828 Norway

Residence. 1852, Siskiyou, California, USA.

They also found a Charles Peterson 20 years old, in El Dorado in 1850, but with his birthdate being 1830. So 2 years out, if the C Peterson found in Siskiyou, is the same as this Charles Peterson. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-DZK3-6KY?i=9&cc=1401638&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AM491-1SN

PS: My Charles Peterson never had children in USA, as far as we know, but did have children in Australia with his wife Ellen Cavanagh. They both left New York, USA in late 1855 and arrived in Melbourne, Australia in late January 1856 on the ship named GERTRUDE. Thx Mark Peterson 

Endret av Mark Peterson
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

22 minutes ago, Mark Peterson said:

Could this be my Charles Peterson? Christoper Pedersen 25 years old in 1853. Boat departed Arendal, Norway.

Could be. But then he would not be in California in 1852 or 1850. And also a bit difficult to see how someone landing in New Orleans in 1853 would end up in Troy, NY, in 1855.

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

45 minutes ago, Carl-Henry Geschwind said:

Could be. But then he would not be in California in 1852 or 1850. And also a bit difficult to see how someone landing in New Orleans in 1853 would end up in Troy, NY, in 1855.

True. 

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

So from Arendal area of Norway, would Charles Peterson have got on a ship in Kristiansand, Norway and gone to Liverpool and then another ship to Boston or New York in about 1845-1854? Thx Mark Peterson

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Carl Andreas Pedersen (number 2 in my list above in post #4) was married 1856 in Dypvåg (using the name Carl Andreas Olsen, which is the last name of his father Peder Olsen): https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20060207010230. So he can also be ruled out.

This means that all the Carl Pedersens born in Aust-Agder 1825 to 1835 can be ruled out (alway assuming, as I have not fully followed the discussion on this, that the Johan Carl Pedersen, son of Peder Palmstrøm, is also ruled out).

The fact that at least some people in the coastal area of Aust-Agder started using their father's patronym as a family name (like Carl Andreas Pedersen above, who adopted his father's patronym Olsen as a family name), suggests that we should also look for all Carls born in Aust-Agder 1825-1835 who were born to a father with patronym Pedersen. According to familysearch.org, there are three of these:

(9) Johan Carl Andreas Pedersen, born 2 December 1825 in Arendal to Ole Pedersen and Ane Caspersdatter

(10) Petter Carl Christiansen, born 6 February 1826 in Fjære to Christian Pedersen and Ingeborg Tomesdatter

(11) Carl Haldor Halvorsen, born 3 August 1829 in Tromøy to Halvor Pedersen Kiorvigen and Karen Berg

I won't have the time today to follow up on this, so perhaps Mark or someone else would like to see whether any (or all) of these three can be ruled out.

Endret av Carl-Henry Geschwind
  • Liker 1
  • Takk 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

7 hours ago, Mark Peterson said:

So from Arendal area of Norway, would Charles Peterson have got on a ship in Kristiansand, Norway and gone to Liverpool and then another ship to Boston or New York in about 1845-1854?

If he ended up in Troy, NY, in 1855, then a ship to New York, Boston, or Quebec would be the most logical place to look for. The ship could have come from Britain, or perhaps directly from Christiania (today's Oslo) or Bergen to Quebec.

If you think he actually was a goldminer in California in 1850-52 (did he come to Australia in 1856 as part of the Victoria gold rush?), then who knows what route he would have taken - from Europe to Nicaragua or Panama, and then another ship on the Pacific side to San Francisco, or else to some East Coast port and then overland to California??

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

1 time siden, Carl-Henry Geschwind skrev:

(11) Carl Haldor Halvorsen, born 3 August 1829 in Tromøy to Halvor Pedersen Kiorvigen and Karen Berg

Changed his surname to Pedersen, but stayed and died i Norway, thus ruled out.

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/census/person/pf01038196000723

https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/M3KL-D2R

https://www.geni.com/people/Carl-Haldor-Pedersen/6000000020596942576

Endret av Egil Johannessen
  • Takk 2
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

12 minutter siden, Carl-Henry Geschwind skrev:

alway assuming, as I have not fully followed the discussion on this, that the Johan Carl Pedersen, son of Peder Palmstrøm, is also ruled out)

• Liker 1
  • Takk 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

13 minutter siden, Carl-Henry Geschwind skrev:

If you think he actually was a goldminer in California in 1850-52 (did he come to Australia in 1856 as part of the Victoria gold rush?),

"My fathers uncle, told his son that he left Norway and went to New York and to California to find gold, so maybe he came back to New York State and met Ellen Cavanagh in Troy, New York, married in August 1855 and then came to Melbourne, Australia in January 1856. Also he lived near the goldfields in 1856 onwards. He was also a Miner on some of his children’s  birth certificates."

• Takk 2
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

12 hours ago, Egil Johannessen said:

"My fathers uncle, told his son that he left Norway and went to New York and to California to find gold, so maybe he came back to New York State and met Ellen Cavanagh in Troy, New York, married in August 1855 and then came to Melbourne, Australia in January 1856. Also he lived near the goldfields in 1856 onwards. He was also a Miner on some of his children’s  birth certificates."

Yes, Charles Peterson most likely came to Australia for the gold rush at Ballarat, Victoria, after the California gold rush. He lived in the Ballarat area with his family for years. Thx Mark Peterson 

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Still stumped on (10) Petter Carl Christiansen. He was born in Fjære parish, but in 1865 his parents were living in Øyestad parish, with a son born ca. 1831 and a daughter born ca. 1841 in Øyestad: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/census/person/pf01038163000486

I have not found Petter Carl Christiansen confirmed in Fjære (records available only through 1839; those after1839 were lost in fire in 1930) or Øyestad. I have also not found a burial record for him 1826-1839 in Fjære.

• Liker 2
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Could it be number 6 on this one conformation attached. Carl Johan ( Pettersen/Pedersen??) Born 1828 in Arendal, Norway. 

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/9403/87336/17

Also number 7 on the this birth/baptism record.

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/772/47?indexing=

Endret av Mark Peterson
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider