Arkivverket

Occupation for Karl Hartvig Svendsen in 1891 Census?

Shelby

Hello! 

Could someone please help me find out the transcription and translation for the occupation of Karl Hartvig Svendsen (my great-grandfather!) in the 1891 Census, who was temporarily living in Hamburg? I am having trouble reading the text answer for: "For de i selvstaendig eller i underordnet Stilling Erhvervende: Erhvervsgren (Hovednaering, Bierverv) og Stilling i samme". Since I don't speak Norwegian or Danish, it's even more challenging 🙂 

My best guess for transcription was "Doksgut med Dumfrakik" -- but that and other variations turn up nothing in any translation engine. He was a sailor and later a cook in the US Navy, so thought perhaps his work in 1891 might be related. 

Link: https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/52915/8779

Many thanks in advance for your help! 

Shelby

- Shelby, my best translation of Mr. Karl Hartvig Svendsens occupation in 1891 is hereby as follows:

dekksgut on the ship Dumfrakirk = a deck hand or deck mate, a seaman apprentice. Clearly a level or two below a junior sailor on a ship, not to mention a skilled senior sailor or a boatswain; i.e. the chief in charge on deck. :)

Best regards, Hatvik

Edited by Terje Hatvik

1 time siden, Shelby skrev:

My best guess for transcription was "Doksgut med Dumfrakik" -- but that and other variations turn up nothing in any translation engine. He was a sailor and later a cook in the US Navy, so thought perhaps his work in 1891 might be related. 

46 minutter siden, Terje Hatvik skrev:

- Shelby, my best translation of Mr. Karl Hartvig Svendsens occupation in 1891 is hereby as follows:

dekksgut on the ship Dumfrakirk = a deck hand or deck mate, seaman apprentice. Clearly a level or two below a junior sailor on a ship, not to mention a skilled senior sailor or a boatswain; i.e. the chief in charge on deck. 🙂

It says "Deksgut med Dampskib", thus he was a deck mate on a steamer.

1 time siden, Kristian Hunskaar (Arkivverket) skrev:

It says "Deksgut med Dampskib", thus he was a deck mate on a steamer.

This can be misunderstood.... English "mate" is usually Norwegian "styrmann" - the highest officers below captain.

"dekksgut" was a first-year seaman,  or apprentice. In English  "ordinary seaman"  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordinary_seaman