Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Akershus slaveri og arbeidsanstalt

Lisa Machan
 Del

Hello! I am trying to locate prison dates for Muurmester Johan Martin Gulbrandsen (1812 Aker-1873 Christiania). He is the third from the bottom in the document below. It is very hard to read, but the transcription, I believe, I have correct. It chronicles his business license in 1838 and also his legal guardianships.  On Nov. 22, 1842 he was appointed as a guardian for the legal heirs of bricklayer Johan Seidel. On Feb. 4, 1845 he became a legal guardian for Hans Johnsen.  (It is possible it might have been a case of insanity.) From this guardianship he was dismissed in Aug. 1845. It is added that Hans is now dead, but his wife is living.

But the most intriguing entry is under his name. It reads "Slaveri for Fraud" (forgery?). When his wife, Anne Marie Gulbrandsen, died in Dec 1851, her death record stated that her husband was in prison. I believe that he is in the Akershus Slaveri. Does anyone know how I can access the Akershus Slaveri records? His last records before prison were the birth of his daughter in 1845 and her death in 1847. It is possible that he was in prison beginning this year. He is remarried by 1857.

I am interested in the dates of his incarceration and the exact charge.  

I would be so grateful for any help! 

Lisa M

URN:NBN:no-a1450-db20100219630086.jpg

Endret av Lisa M.
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The Akershus Slaveri records can be accessed by visiting the Riksarkivet in Oslo, Norway:

https://www.arkivverket.no/utforsk-arkivene/forbrytelse-og-straff/fengselsarkiver/akershus-slaveri-og-arbeidsanstalt-akershus-landsfengsel-17671950-og-akershus-fengsel-19401945

It says:

"Hvordan får du tilgang til arkivene etter Akershus festnings slaveri og arbeidsanstalt/Akershus landsfengsel? 
Arkivmaterialet etter Akershus festnings slaveri og arbeidsanstalt er fritt tilgjengelig og kan bestilles på Arkivportalen til bruk på lesesalen for Riksarkivet og Statsarkivet i Oslo.

Arkivkatalogen for Akershus landsfengsel er tilgjengelig på Arkivportalen. Men vær oppmerksom på store deler av arkivet inneholder taushetsbelagte opplysninger. Sperrefristen for opplysninger underlagt taushetshetsplikt er satt til 80 år."

"How do you access the archives after the slavery and work facility of Akershus Fortress / Akershus National Prison?
The archive material after Akershus Fortress's slavery and work facility is freely available and can be ordered on the Archive Portal for use in the Reading Room of the National Archives and the State Archives in Oslo.

The Akershus National Prison Archives directory is available on the Archive Portal. But note that much of the archive contains confidential information. The deadline for information subject to the duty of confidentiality is set at 80 years."

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you Elin. The information I am looking for is 150 years old, so it is available. However, I live in California, so physically visiting the Reading Room in Oslo is not an option for me. I was hoping there was another online source available that I could investigate. Thank you for the information.

Lisa  

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Found this announcement in Den Norske Rigstidende 20.08.1846. I think this is our guy:

https://www.nb.no/items/321dc272d6448326361502cd06f09424?page=3&searchText="johan martin gulbrandsen"

Capture.JPG.85edac593acbc312281889a1c147e7ed.JPG

The relevant legislation as per 1842: http://www.hist.uib.no/krim/1874/

Capture.thumb.JPG.bcf3817399a39bc17716b1419a83c6b4.JPG

Capture.JPG.3951845a51eebaef2c75064bc957242b.JPG

A short summary: 

Johan Martin Gulbrandsen was charged with fraud/forgery (ref. Law of Criminality, Chapter 21, § 27 and § 29) and sentenced to 9 years in prison (hard labour) by the Court of Christiania. In addtion, the verdict was maintained by The Supreme Court (Høyesterett). For some reason the case was tried in two courts. The Supreme Court`s conclusion of maintaining the sentence from the city court is stated in the newspaper article. Johan Martin was also sentenced to pay all expenses related to the case and 12 speciedaler to the prosecutor.

Endret av Frank Marton Pedersen
  • Liker 4
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Lisa,

I suggest you use the form in the link below to make an enquiry to National Archives Service of Norway. This service is free of charge. Just explain your case, where you live, and give as much information as possible like you have done at the start of this thread. I believe there´s a good chance that some prison records and/or court records are held at the regional state archive in Oslo. Note that it will probably take some weeks before you get a reply.

https://www.arkivverket.no/en/forms/general-enquiry#!/form/0

• Liker 2
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I can't even express how grateful I am for your investigation. Brilliant. Thank you! I will follow up directly.  

Lisa

• Liker 2
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider