Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Parents of ancestor needed please - Charles / Carl Pettersson

Mark Peterson
 Del

Hello again everyone, I’m still looking for my GG Grandfather. Charles Peterson ( known as in Australia) his birthdate varies from 1828-1834, he went to the USA in about 1848-1854. He then married in 1855 in Troy, Rensselaer, New York, USA an Ellen Cavanagh who was born in 1839 from Thurles, Tipperary, Ireland. Her parents were John Cavanagh and Bridget Barragry, they never married, BUT Mary was written as her mother’s name on her death certificate in Australia. We are thinking that John Cavanagh’s mother was a Mary and looked after Ellen, when Bridget May of left or died. I have found a Bridget Barragry living with her sister in England in 1850 census.

So, I need Charles Peterson’s parents names, his location / birthplace in or around the Arendal area of Norway and a more accurate birthdate. His name in Australia was Charles Peterson, but we are pretty sure in Norway it was either Charles/ Carl and Petterson or Pettersson. My father remembers an Auntie, telling him those details, when he was a teenager. Any help would be greatly appreciated, like always, thx Mark Peterson.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

7 minutes ago, Ann-Mary Engum said:

Hi and thx again Ann-Mary Engum. He mightn’t be the same Charles Peterson in the above 1850 Census.He might’ve gone by the name Charles Peterson or maybe Carl / Charles Peterson / Pettersson / Petterson / Pedersen / Pederson, etc. hx Mark Peterson

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Mark, as you know and probably anyone who participates in this site knows a massive amount of searching has been done on this subject without much success. One thing that bothers me a little on the information you have provided is that Charles Peterson married in 1855 in Troy, Rensselaer, New York. As noted in some of the earlier work the number of entrants in the 1850 US Census living in Rensselaer County who were born in Norway was zero. In the 1860 Census there were two, a John Fugson {probably Turgson} born 1823 and a Maria Mfarly (probably McFarly} born in 1835. Not a county that many Norwegian emigrants ended up in. What is the evidence that you have that shows that he was married in Troy. Any documentation or is your information based on family history?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

21 minutter siden, Anton Hagelee skrev:

What is the evidence that you have that shows that he was married in Troy. Any documentation or is your information based on family history?

There's more information in regards to the marriage in Troy here

Also, this is the Ellen Cavanaugh Mark suggests married Charles Peterson  -  https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K634-17B

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you Egil. but based on the 1855 New York Census, I would think that this Ellen Cavanaugh living in Troy, Rensselaer in the 1860 Census is also a good match for the 1855 Ellen Cavanaugh. And since Mark has stated that Charles Peterson and wife left America in 1856 or so, his  Ellen would not be found in the 1860 Census. 

Ellen Cavanaugh

in the 1860 United States Federal Census

Name:Ellen CavanaughAge:23Birth Year:abt 1837Gender:FemaleBirth Place:IrelandHome in 1860:Troy Ward 2, Rensselaer, New YorkPost Office:TroyDwelling Number:769Family Number:1168Cannot Read, Write:YHousehold Members:

Name Age
Henry Ingram 56
Martha Ingram 49
James H Ingram 22
Martha A Ingram 14
Emma Ingram 12
Ellen Cavanaugh 23

Endret av Anton Hagelee
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thx Ann-Mary Engum, Anton Hagelee and Egil Johannessen. They arrived in Melbourne, Australia in January 1856, so they would’ve left USA about early November 1855. We have a passenger list with C ( 23 or 28 years old ) and E ( 17 years old ) Peterson on the ship named Gertrude, coming from USA to Australia. Therefore, they had to be married in August 1855 and not 1856, to be able to get to Australia on the 24th January 1856. Thx Mark Peterson

Endret av Mark Peterson
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

In the 1855 New York Census there are seven men named Charles Peterson born 1830 plus/minus 5. . Birth place is not given in the transcription of this census but is given in the original record. . None of the seven are living in Rensselaer County. Two of the men are named child or son and are living with what appears to be their families. Two are listed as head and are living with their probable wives. 

There are three Charles and two Chas with approximate birth year and place of residence in 1855.

Charles Peterson born abt 1834 Ellicott, Chautauqua, New York,  Sweden

Charles Peterson born abt 1835 Windham, Greene, New York, Sweden, farmer 

Charles Peterson born abt 1825 New York City, Ward 3, New York, Seaman,  listed as being born in New York but questionable 

Chas Peterson abt 1834 New York City, Ward 18, New York, boarder Denmark

No candidates with the name Carl or Karl Peterson or Petersen

For Ellen Cav* born 1838 plus/minus 2  

Ellen Cavanaugh abt 1838, Troy City, Ward 3, Rensselaer, Servant (discussed earlier)

Ellen Cavanagh abt 1838, Oswego City, Ward 1, Oswego, Servant 

Ellen Cavanah, abt 1839, Brooklyn City, Ward 8, Kings, New York Servant

Ellen Cavanagh abt 1836, Salem, Washington Servant 

Endret av Anton Hagelee
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

33 minutes ago, Anton Hagelee said:

In the 1855 New York Census there are seven men named Charles Peterson born 1830 plus/minus 5. . Birth place is not given in this census. None of the seven are living in Rensselaer County. Two of the men are named child or son and are living with what appears to be their families. Two are listed as head and are living with their probable wives. 

There are three 

Charles Peterson born abt 1834 Ellicott, Chautauqua, New York, 

Charles Peterson born abt 1835 Windham, Greene, New York,

Charles Peterson born abt 1825 New York City, Ward 3, New York

Thank you so much Anton Hagelee, for this info on 3 possible Charles Peterson’s in New York area in 1855. Thx Mark Peterson

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

3 hours ago, Anton Hagelee said:

In the 1855 New York Census there are seven men named Charles Peterson born 1830 plus/minus 5. . Birth place is not given in this census. None of the seven are living in Rensselaer County. Two of the men are named child or son and are living with what appears to be their families. Two are listed as head and are living with their probable wives. 

There are three Charles and two Chas with approximate birth year and place of residence in 1855.

Charles Peterson born abt 1834 Ellicott, Chautauqua, New York, 

Charles Peterson born abt 1835 Windham, Greene, New York,

Charles Peterson born abt 1825 New York City, Ward 3, New York

and Chas Peterson abt 1825, New York City, Ward 21, New York,

Chas Peterson abt 1834 New York City, Ward 18, New York, boarder 

No candidates with the name Carl or Karl Peterson or Petersen

For Ellen Cav* born 1838 plus/minus 2  

Ellen Cavanaugh abt 1838, Troy City, Ward 3, Rensselaer, Servant (discussed earlier)

Ellen Cavanagh abt 1838, Oswego City, Ward 1, Oswego, Servant 

Ellen Cavanah, abt 1839, Brooklyn City, Ward 8, Kings, New York Servant

Ellen Cavanagh abt 1836, Salem, Washington Servant 

Thx again Anton Hagelee for your help, so far.... I’m thinking one of these two are a good match. 

Charles Peterson born abt 1834, Ellicott, Chautauqua, New York, Boarder and Ellen Cavanagh abt 1838, Oswego City, Ward 1, Oswego, New York, Servant.

( They are fairly close and they could’ve met in Oswego and then gone by boat to Troy, Rensselaer via the Oswego River, then Oneida Lake, then Fish Creek, then Pools Brook and then into the Mohawk River right into the Hudson River in Troy, Rensselaer. ) Maybe.......Then got married in August 1855 and then made their way to New York City and caught the ship named The Gertrude in about early November 1855 and arrived in Melbourne, Australia on the 24th? January 1856. 

OR

Chas Peterson abt 1834 New York City, Ward 18, New York, boarder and Ellen Cavanah, abt 1839, Brooklyn City, Ward 8, Kings, New York Servant.

Endret av Mark Peterson
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

10 hours ago, Anton Hagelee said:

Mark, as you know and probably anyone who participates in this site knows a massive amount of searching has been done on this subject without much success. One thing that bothers me a little on the information you have provided is that Charles Peterson married in 1855 in Troy, Rensselaer, New York. As noted in some of the earlier work the number of entrants in the 1850 US Census living in Rensselaer County who were born in Norway was zero. In the 1860 Census there were two, a John Fugson {probably Turgson} born 1823 and a Maria Mfarly (probably McFarly} born in 1835. Not a county that many Norwegian emigrants ended up in. What is the evidence that you have that shows that he was married in Troy. Any documentation or is your information based on family history?

Family history and in Clement's birth certificate, but it says 1856 for marriage in Troy. But the ship The Gertrude landed in Melbourne, Australia in January 1856, so how can they marry in 1856 in New York, USA and get here so quick? Thx Mark Peterson.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

11 hours ago, Anton Hagelee said:

Hi, Anton Hagelee. Also he may have been there before the 1855 census was taken and had already got married and left for New York City or had been there after the 1855 census was done. Thx Mark Peterson

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I posted the lists of possible candidate  Charles Petersons and Ellen Cavanaughs and their locations from the 1855 New York Census to see if there is a place where both parties are at or at least nearby at the time of their marriage. If we remember that the time is 1855 and travel is somewhat laborious, I think that the only location that fits as nearby is New York City. The upstate New York locations are all about 200 or more miles apart and it seems unlikely that in 1855 there would be much contact between the various towns. 

• Trist 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

5 hours ago, Anton Hagelee said:

I posted the lists of possible candidate  Charles Petersons and Ellen Cavanaughs and their locations from the 1855 New York Census to see if there is a place where both parties are at or at least nearby at the time of their marriage. If we remember that the time is 1855 and travel is somewhat laborious, I think that the only location that fits as nearby is New York City. The upstate New York locations are all about 200 or more miles apart and it seems unlikely that in 1855 there would be much contact between the various towns. 

Ok thx Anton Hagelee. But why would they get married in Troy, Rensselaer and not in New York City? Unless Charles was a sailor and the boat he worked on, travelled up and down the Hudson River from New York City to Troy, Rensselaer. Maybe Ellen worked near Troy. Regards Mark Peterson

Endret av Mark Peterson
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Not easy to answer the question about "why did they marry in Troy". From what you have posted that I know of, you do not have any record from the US on the marriage. Your information that they were married in Troy only comes from "Family history and in Clement's birth certificate, but it says 1856 for marriage in Troy." and " My fathers uncle, told his son that he left Norway and went to New York ".  If that is correct it is possible that the family history is only partially correct and that they did not marry in Troy. 

Your original document information seems to be only from Australia. Not a criticism as it is what you have but does make the search more difficult.

• Liker 2
  • Trist 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 1 måned senere...

Update: 

Just maybe, my Charles (Carl) Peterson (Pettersson) was born in Sweden and when in his late late teens or early 20s, he might’ve left Sweden for Arendal, Norway where he later got on a ship to the USA.

So, what do you think? Pettersson/Petterson seems to be a Swedish surname and not Norwegian.

Also I can’t find any Carl/Charles/Karl/Christopher/Christen/Christian - Peterson/Pederson/Pedersen/Petterson/Pettersson/Peterssen/Pettersen -

born anywhere in Norway in about 1826/35. I have also tried with Petter being his fathers name and Anna/Ane/Anne Marie/Maria being his mother’s name.

My Charles Peterson’s 1st girl was named Anna Maria, maybe after her Grandmother.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thx Mark Peterson

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi, can anyone help me with the year of death and if Carl Gustaf Pettersson, was married in Sweden, Norway or USA, if at all. 

Carl Gustaf Pettersson

B: 8 March 1831 in Ljusnarsberg, Orebro, Sweden

Father: Petter Larsson

Mother: Anna Maria Mathsdatter.

thx like always,  Mark Peterson

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

On 1/22/2020 at 11:21 AM, Mark Peterson said:

Hi, can anyone help me with the year of death and if Carl Gustaf Pettersson, was married in Sweden, Norway or USA, if at all. 

Carl Gustaf Pettersson

B: 8 March 1831 in Ljusnarsberg, Orebro, Sweden

Father: Petter Larsson

Mother: Anna Maria Mathsdatter.

thx like always,  Mark Peterson

********** It’s ok, don’t bother looking for this Carl. Thx anyway, Mark Peterson.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider