Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Finding my Great Grandfather's Norwegian Name

Darin Lee
 Del

På 10.12.2019 den 8.56, Gisle Hersvik skrev:

Maybe something can be found in their marriage records?

Name: Alex A. Lee
Spouse's Name: Sarah Anderson
Event Date: 07 Jun 1873
Event Place: Corning, Adams, Ia

The certificate of marriage.

1873 Marriage.jpg

Endret av Egil Johannessen
  • Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I revert to post # 17 where we can see that he was naturalized sometime between 1900 and 1910 (or did i read it incorrectly and he was naturalized 1880?). It might be worth reviewing the following site, it gives a few hints at where the naturalization records might be found (if they still exist). https://www.archives.gov/research/immigration/naturalization

If we are lucky, it may be included in petitions for Cedar Rapid Superior Court https://www.archives.gov/kansas-city/finding-aids/naturalization-records.html

Here is a link to Iowa State Archives, there may also be naturalization records hidden somewhere there (or a request to them may direct us to where they might be) https://iowaculture.gov/history/research/collections/state-archives

Whether he was naturalized around 1880 or between 1900 and 1910, it might be worth looking for the naturalization records in Iowa (if they can be found).

Endret av Per H Skaug
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I went to the familysearch.org center today.  I also found the marriage license of Alex and Sarah (no luck on parents names or other insight).  I searched further for a naturalization record but had no luck today.  My other thought is try and figure out and and locate some descendants of Alex & Sarah's older children.  My grandfather is the youngest of their 12 children and my dad was the youngest of 7 of Alex's son.

Endret av Darin Lee
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Aslak/Alex Lee's presumptive (half) brother Samson Aslaksen in #73 married and had descendants in the US. It may be worthwhile tracing them and identify living relatives. They may have family bibles or other knowledge of relatives in Iowa (or, a DNA test could be taken to confirm the relationship).

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I did an Ancestry DNA search of my matches: 24 with the surname of Samson in tree. 11 with the surname of Aslaksen. Looking at more detail on these.

Endret av Darin Lee
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

This is Samson Aslaksen on FamilySearch. It appears that most of his children used Sampson as a family name, after their father. So it would stand to reason that you would have Sampson or Samson as relatives. I have added some records to his children, but there is obviously more to be done there. It may be that your matches will be among his descendants.

https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/KHWC-MG7

I would agree with Tove that Aslak Aslaksen Nunslimyr is most likely your ancestor, and if you could firm up the family tree with those Sam(p)son or Aslakson matches, you would be able to confirm it with 100% certanity.

Endret av Per H Skaug
  • Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

1 time siden, Tove D. Johansen skrev:

Is there more information about the wife Sarah's parents?

Were they from the same parish in Norway (Finnås/Sveio) as Aslak Aslaksen? 

According to Darin's family tree, father of Sarah was Anders Knutson Bergeland and his father was Knut Anderson Yttrevoll. They came from Årdal, Rogaland.

Årdal. 2 : Gardane og folket, Ytrevoll, farm no. 9, page 167 & page 163, Anders Knutson (born 1820 at Bergeland farm), son of Knut Anderson and Siri Jakobsdr. Anders with wife Åsa Olsdr. & children emigrated to America 1846, as did his father & mother with family.

https://urn.nb.no/URN:NBN:no-nb_digibok_2018030748039

Anders Knutson.jpg

Knut Anderson.jpg

Endret av Egil Johannessen
  • Liker 1
  • Takk 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Per is correct on the use of the last name Sampson. Samson the father died in 1894 and the family used the Samson last name in the 1900 US Census. 

Segre Sampson

in the 1900 United States Federal Census

Name:Segre Sampson

Birth Date:Aug 1840

Birthplace:Norway

Home in 1900:Scandinavia, Waupaca, Wisconsin

House Number:990

Sheet Number:7

Number of Dwelling in Order of Visitation:1

Family Number:127

Race:White

Immigration Year:1853

Relation to Head of House:Mother

Marital status:Widowed

Father's Birthplace:Norway

Mother's Birthplace:Norway

Mother: Number of Living Children:6

Mother: How Many Children:10

Years in US:47

Can Read:Yes

Can Write:Yes

Can Speak English:Yes

Neighbors:View others on page

Household Members:

NameAge

John Sampson36

Sevren Sampson22

Clara Sampson17

Segre Sampson59

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

And the family minus Clara noted above by Per in the 1905 Wisconsin Census

Sigrid Sampson

in the Wisconsin, State Censuses, 1855-1905

Name:Sigrid Sampson

Race:White

Marital status:Widowed

Birth Year:abt 1840

Birth Place:Norway

Residence Date:1 Jun 1905

Residence Place:Scandinavia, Waupaca, Wisconsin, USA

Relationship:Mother

Line:2

Neighbors:View others on page

Household Members:

NameAge

John A Sampson41

Severin Sampson28

Sigrid Sampson65

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Just want to give everyone a big thank you!  The information you all provided is very appreciated.

Darin

• Liker 3
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...

DNA confirmation

Aslak Aslaksen is Aleak/Alek/Alexander Lee

I found that I have 2 separate DNA matches with both of Aslak Aslaksen's half sisters.  Aslak Ingebrigtsen was previously married to Brithe Stephensdatter and had 2 daughters(my DNA connections) and later married Alis Larsdtr and had a daughter(Berta) and a son (Aslak Aslaksen).  Thanks again everyone you all do great work.

Darin LeeThruLines™ for Aslak Ingebrigtsen.pdf

Liberty, MO USA

Endret av Darin Lee
  • Liker 3
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider