Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Need some help understanding the location of Kolbeinstveit farm

Larry Melander
 Del

Gamle Suldal lists one of my ancestors as "Kolben po Thuedt" and is listed as the first brukar of the Kolbeinstveit farm.  However, when I look at the Oluf Ryghh listing of farms and the origins of their names, there are 3 farms listed which have the same or similar alternate spellings for "Thuedt".  Two of them (Gnr. 19/20 and 50) appear to refer to the modern day Tveitane farm near Hamrabø in Suldal parish and the other for the Kolbeinstveit farm.  I'm assuming when Gamle Suldal refers to the Kolbeinstveit farm- they are referring the Gnr. 36.- and is located at the modern day Kolbeinstveit farm.  

Is the modern day Kolbeinstveit farm the same one listed in Gamle Suldal or is it near Hamrabø??   Did "Kolben po Thuedt" come from modern day Kolbeinstveit farm or from the Tveitane farm farther east???

https://www.norgeskart.no/#!?project=seeiendom&layers=1002,1015&zoom=13&lat=6626669.69&lon=23404.10&markerLat=6626669.6910537705&markerLon=23404.099943553505&panel=searchOptionsPanel&sok=Kolbeinstveit

https://www.norgeskart.no/#!?project=seeiendom&layers=1002,1015&zoom=13&lat=6636309.78&lon=32500.89&markerLat=6636309.777127919&markerLon=32500.894196611713&panel=searchOptionsPanel&sok=Tveitane

Listen over gårder er hentet fra "Norske Gaardnavne".

v.10, p.368  
19. 20. Tveitene nedre og øvre. Udt. tvei`tadn, -adne. ―
[i Þuæit DN. XV 47, 1426] Twedt NRJ. II 473. 479. Tuett NRJ.
III 352. 353. Thuedt 1563. Tueidtt 1567 (øde). Tuedt 1602. 1610.
Tuett St. S. 53. N. Thueden, Ø. Thveden 1661. N. Tweden med
Wigen, Ø. Tveden med Tweden ødt 1723.

Þveit f. (Indl. S. 83). ― Underbrugets Navn "Wigen" kjendes endnu,
udt. ví1ᶄó.

v.10, p.370  
36. Kolbeinstveit. Alm. kaldet tveit. ― Tued 1610. Thved
1661. Kolbeenstwed 1723.

*Þveit f. (Indl. S. 83). Matrikelnavnet er sms. med Mandsnavnet
Kolbein.

v.10, p.372  
50. Tveit i Hamrebø. Udt. tvei`tadne. Grænden heder
ha`mmrabø. ― Thued 1610. Thveed i Hammerbøe 1661. Twed i
Hammerbøe 1723.

*Þveit f. (Indl. S. 83). ― Grændens Navn *Hamrabr er sms. af
Gen. Flt. af hamarr m. (Indl. S. 53) og br (om hvis Brug i Grænde-
navne se Strand GN. 5).

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Does this help:

image.png.5b3348772c87a29f478fdfe13a40a694.png

Hoftun, Hallvard M.: ''Gamle Suldal''. Utg. Suldal kommune. 1972.

Gamle suldal, Gards og ættehistorie, p. 419

• Takk 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Yes it is very helpful- I'm certain now that the Kolbeinstveit farm in Gamle Suldal is the one that is found on the coast of Suldalsvatnet where the modern day Kolbeinstveit is located.

The Gamle Suldal excerpt also refers to 2 other Tveit farms- Gnr.50 which is in Hamrabo which I assume is the modern day Tveitane farm near the Havrevoll farm.  And the the other called "Tveitane pa Suldalseidet" which I assume is Gnr. 19/20.  Can you tell me if there is a reference to "Kolben po Thuedt"  in Gamle Suldal in either of these farms???  

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I have to confess, I am not quite sure I helped you much, but to be clear:

1 time siden, Larry Melander skrev:

Can you tell me if there is a reference to "Kolben po Thuedt"  in Gamle Suldal in either of these farms???

no, I can't find any reference to him in either of these farms, Gnr 19 Nedre Tveitane, Gnr 20 Øvre Tveitane, Gnr. 50 Tveit

• Takk 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

You helped greatly in identifying the location of the Kolbeinstveit farm.  And thanks for looking at the other farms for references.  A lack of references in the Gamle Suldal for the other farms tells me this is basically at an impasse and I just have to take the information at face value.  

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider