Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Alexander Christensen to New Zealand around 1860

hathlys@bigpond.net.au
 Del

I am searching for Alexander Christensen who arrived in New Zealand around 1861.  He married Elizabeth Susan Boorer 10th June 1875 at Kaikora (Otane), New Zealand when aged 24.  He died 24th July 1886 at Otaki, New Zealand aged 38 and had lived there for 26 years.  He was a carpenter and owned a sawmill in Otaki.  I have contacted New Zealand Archives and found that he was not naturalized.  The birth certificate of my  grandmother,  Louisa Christensen ( born 24/ 02/1876) states that her father was born in Arendal and that his father was a farmer.  I am trying to find his birth and shipping records.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I’ll copy the two answers you have had already:

25.6.2020 den 11.08,  @Jon Erik Berg-Hansen skrev:

(...)

Seems there's no Alexander bapt. in Arendal or the neigbouring Tromøy parish 1845-1852.

Emigrants often gave the name of the nearest town as their birth parish

If he was born 1848-1851, it would've been highly unusual for him to move out alone prior to confirmation (usually at the age of 14-16).

Can you provide links to your info (his marriage / or apl. for naturalization)? 

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/search/sources?s=&from=1845&to=1860&format=all&archive_key=&lt[]=dp&lt[]=ub&m[]=0903

25.6.2020 den 13.39, @Elin Galtung Lihaug skrev:

If he was born close to Arendal, he might have traveled through Kristiansand.

Here is a register of passports presented to the police authorities in Kristiansand during the years 1853-1876:

Vest-Agder county, Passport register no. 224E (1853-1876), Protocol page, Page 56
https://www.digitalarkivet.no/em10411507131056

Perhaps you will find him there?

Endret av Anne-Lise Hansen
  • Takk 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I've done a search for Alexander bapt. 1848-1851 in Arendal and the neighbouring parishes Austre Moland, Barbu, Tromøy, Hisøy and Øyestad.

Haven't seen any Alexanders during that period - but there's always a possibility that I may have missed one!

I would like to see the records (links) to his marriage / or apl. for naturalization)!

Or a scan of your granny's birth certificate.

Endret av Jon Erik Berg-Hansen
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Here are some records from Ancestry.com 

Alexander Christensen

in the New Zealand, Death Index, 1848-1966

Name:Alexander Christensen

Death Date:Jul-Aug-Sep 1886

Registration Place:Otaki, Otago, New Zealand

Folio Number:1235

Alexander Christenson

in the New Zealand, Marriage Index, 1840-1937

Name:Alexander Christenson

Marriage Year:1875

Marriage Place:New Zealand

Spouse:Elizabeth Susan Boorer

Folio Number:926

Alexander Christensen

in the New Zealand, Electoral Rolls, 1853-1981

Name:Alexander Christensen

Electoral Year:1880-1881

District:Foxton

Region or Province:Manawatu-Wanganui

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

884577048_AChristensenmarriagecert.thumb.jpg.e6fc777eaf3bb4b69bcd0a10768393b9.jpg884577048_AChristensenmarriagecert.thumb.jpg.e6fc777eaf3bb4b69bcd0a10768393b9.jpg

21 hours ago, Anne-Lise Hansen said:

(...)

Seems there's no Alexander bapt. in Arendal or the neigbouring Tromøy parish 1845-1852.

If he was born 1848-1851, it would've been highly unusual for him to move out alone prior to confirmation (usually at the age of 14-16).

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/search/sources?s=&from=1845&to=1860&format=all&archive_key=&lt[]=dp&lt[]=ub&m[]=0903

Here is a register of passports presented to the police authorities in Kristiansand during the years 1853-1876:

Vest-Agder county, Passport register no. 224E (1853-1876), Protocol page, Page 56

21 hours ago, Anne-Lise Hansen said:

(...)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I will add some information concerning emigration from Norway to New Zealand in the 1860s. The normal route was from Kristiansand in Norway to Newcastle, UK, thereafter by railway (!!!) to Liverpoool and from there by sailing to Australia, and there they often stayed some years before leaving for NZ . One of these ships was the clipper "Royal Dane". Perhaps the only one? It is important to know that in those days it was not necessary to register the emigration from Norway, so it might be no official traces of Alexander leaving Norway.

Some years ago I stayed in contact with Ross Barnett (adjunct professor at the University og Canterbury, NZ) who wrote the book "Goldfield Entrepreneurs. The Norwegian Party of Waitahuna Gully, Otago" (2016).  Barnett knows quite lot about Norwegian imigration to New Zealand, and I am sure that he might have some useful information about this topic.

Endret av Hans Martin Fagerli
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thankyou  for the information Hans, the book sounds interesting.  Do you have an email address for Ross Barnett?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

12 minutter siden, hathlys@bigpond.net.au skrev:

Thankyou  for the information Hans, the book sounds interesting.  Do you have an email address for Ross Barnett?

The last e-mail adress I used was this one: ross.barnett@xtra.co.nz

You may refer to me

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

This is really a tricky one!

Summary:

1.Marriage cert. says very little (age 24 = born 1851)!

2.Birth cert. (1876) says age 25 = born 1851 (Arendal, Norway).

3.Death cert. (1886) says age 38 = born 1848.

It also says 26 years in NZ = age on arrival - 12 years!!!

To me, that represents a big problem - unless he was travelling with family/relatives.

1/2. Generally speaking, I would trust the marriage and birth certs.

He probably gave that info himself.

3. When he died, members of the family gave the info.

Endret av Jon Erik Berg-Hansen
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Presumably he may not have been baptized Alexander, maybe this is just an anglicization of a Norwegian name, like Aksel or similar?

It may of course be right that his name was Alexander, but it may also be useful to widen the net a bit.

If correct, the information that he was 12 years old when he arrived in NZ as Jon Erik stated, may also help us along, as we should be looking for a family.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Ancestry.com does give a fairly useful search site. Using it for "All Norway, Select Baptisms, 1634-1927 results for Arendal" born 1850 plus/minus 5 years and father named Chris* or Kris* does not turn up any Alex* or Aksel or any name close to that. Closest would be one named Andreas. Andreas to Alexander is a bit of a stretch but he is the only one at all close. 

Name:Andreas Frederik Mads Christiansen

Baptism Date:20 mai 1849 (20 May 1849)

Baptism Place:Arendal , Aust-Agder, Norway

Father:Mads Christian Madsen

Mother:Dedrine Helene Didriksdatter

The total number of births turned up using that criteria is 119. Trying to broaden it to include all of Aust-Agder gives too many candidates. Most of them named Anders or Andreas. Trying to narrow it using only Aksel or Axel* in all of Aust-Agder  gives no candidates. 

Opening it up to be Alex* born 1850 =/- 5 anywhere in Norway father named Chris* turns up 32 candidates. So it is possible that he was born with the name close to Alexander Christiansen somewhere in Norway but maybe not in Agder. 

Endret av Anton Hagelee
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

2 hours ago, Jon Erik Berg-Hansen said:

If he changed his name from Andreas - wouldn't Andrew be a better choice than Alex?

Yes it most definitely would be a more logical choice.

I also tried versions in which his father had a last name of Christiansen or Kristiansen but had no luck in Agder. 

There are children named Alexander born around 1850 in Agder, just not with a father with a version of  the Christian name, First or last. 

If you narrow the search down to Alexander, father Christian and born 1850 +/-2 you find 6 in the whole of Norway. Now Ancestry.com has not transcribed all the births in Norway for that time frame so we could be missing him just on that alone. Of the six, one is from Nordland, one from Vestfold and four from Oslo. 

Endret av Anton Hagelee
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider